Author Topic: damaged photo  (Read 8801 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: damaged photo
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 03:25 BST (UK) »
Since image sizes are described in pixels and photo prints in inches, you have  to convert from pixels to inches. To do so, you divide the image's dimension in pixels by  the resolution of the device in pixels per inch (ppi). For example, to convert the  dimensions for a 1500 x 1200 image being printed at 300 ppi you divide as follows:

Width: 1500 pixels ÷ 300 ppi = 5"

Height: 1200 pixels ÷ 300 ppi = 4"

The result is a 5" x 4" print. However, if the output device prints 600 ppi,  the result changes to a 2.5" x 2" print as follows:

Width: 1500 pixels ÷ 600 ppi = 2.5"

Height: 1200 pixels ÷ 600 ppi = 2"

A 640 x 480 image displays or prints on devices with different dots per inch. At 72 ppi it's  8.9" x 6.7", at 300 ppi it's 2.1" by 1.6", and at 1500 ppi, it's only 0.43" x 0.32"—smaller than a stamp.

Check this link out if you want to know a  bit more about scanning and file sizes.
http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 16:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry folks just had to have a go myself
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 19:32 BST (UK) »
Deadants, Tallted & Kenhar

Thank you all so much for your help and advice.

Deadants & Kenhar I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the pictures.  I called my husband straight away to have a look - I usually bann everyone from the room when I'm on Rootschat - he was truly taken aback, they're fantastic.  I can't see myself ever being able to achieve something like that.

I did try to take in the info., but I'm afraid it sailed straight over the top of my head.

As for the picture itself, it's a photo of my father-in-law's regiment taken in India.  We don't know exactly when though, we know he went there in 1919 and believe he returned in 1928, but we can't find his records so it could be anytime between those dates.

Thank you all again.

Regards
Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Richards & Roberts,  in Carmarthen & Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.
Dinmore, in SE London (prev.Surrey & Kent), Lowestoft & Yorks.
Collier/Collyer, Tyler & Welch in SE London(prev.Surrey)

All census transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 00:17 BST (UK) »
Good job kenhar, you fixed that skyline up beautifully. I wasn't really happy with my skyline but I was concentrating on the soldiers. Between us all we have a pretty neat job on this one.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 May 05 18:36 BST (UK) »
Got Bored had to do something

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 May 05 19:12 BST (UK) »
That's what I call showing off!  I've got to admit though, looking great.
My husband's family couldn't believe the last picture I sent them, don't know what they'd say if I sent them a colour copy.

I have tried to colour photos, but I just cannot get to grips with it at all - not that it would help at the moment because now my printer has died as well.  I think someone's trying to tell me something.

Back to the point, the picture looks great.

Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Richards & Roberts,  in Carmarthen & Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.
Dinmore, in SE London (prev.Surrey & Kent), Lowestoft & Yorks.
Collier/Collyer, Tyler & Welch in SE London(prev.Surrey)

All census transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 May 05 23:26 BST (UK) »
It's amazing how a splash of colour brings an antique photo to life. The leaves on the big tree on the right could do with a bit of toning down as it seems a bit fluroecent.

Overall it's not to bad. Maybe you could do a gradient fill for the sky.

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 May 05 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi deadants

Thanks for the comments I do agree with you about the trees, but also the picture contains a few other areas that work could have been better, like the legs area most of that is still in greyscale, and some of the distant trees have grey halos.

But it is still a great feeling to be able to do this type of work, sat at my pc, at home for a couple of hours, from what the picture was originally to this version I am well pleased.

I would hate to think what it would cost to get it done by a professional - LONG LIVE ROOTSCHAT - AND THE PEOPLE WILLING TO HELP OTHERS FOR FREE   ;D

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 May 05 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
    Have you read my reply to your other post yet? http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,55380.msg223046.html#msg223046