Author Topic: Charles Hart  (Read 4122 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Hart
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 May 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hello.

This is old but I'm returning to it as I have a bit more info.The births of several children show mothers maiden name as Hewett,so although there doesnt appear to be a marriage,Elizabeth or Marys maiden name was Hewett.I still cant find Charles on 1841 or 61 though,or anything on his wider family like siblings or parents.Please can anyone help?

Thanks.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 May 17 11:22 BST (UK) »
In 1871 he is described as a Lawyer, spidermonkeys 1851 has him as a Sawyer, I wonder which is correct.

Mary and the children are in Chichester in 1861, but no Charles her  age is 30, which is a bit more likely correct, as her age of 36 in 1871 would make her very young when Elizabeth was born.

Mike

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 May 17 12:40 BST (UK) »
Looking at the image on the 1871 census and comparing the S/L awyer with the S of Scholar and L of Labourer further down the page, it is definitely Sawyer.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 May 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
Puzzling, I am not a Sussex expert but in 1871 his residence is st. Mary in the castle, an exclusive and expensive crescent of houses, but of course it could also be a civil parish covering a wide area.

Mike

Added.

I have found a sawmill on the 1878 map of Hastings, very near the old castle, but the parish should be holy trinity

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hello.

The Gro indices show that Elizabeth Martha was born in Battle Union in 1850.Im assuming that's the workhouse.So the mother at least was there a year before they were lodging with the Goodmans in 1851.Is it possible to search the records for the workhouse for that period.

Thanks.