Author Topic: Where to start.Help please.  (Read 5556 times)

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Where to start.Help please.
« on: Tuesday 08 June 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
Having traced  through census records in England I have now found a glimmer of hope in the 1911 records.
Name.   Myles Crayton born circa 1851 --Mayo Ireland.
Before that it was place of birth,Ireland as was usual it seems. When Myles married his certificate says father John Craatin deceased and Myles name is spelt Craatin but is correct person.No doubt at all.
He was  married in Framwellgate,Durham (Catholic Church) in 1886 and he was 34.On his death in 1926 he was 76 so this would give a date of birth anywhere between 1850 and 1854.
Have I realistically got any chance of finding out any more about his birth,parents,siblings etc.or am I banging my head against a brick wall? All suggestions welcome. I have had a look at the resources mentioned and they are fantastic.As my hubby is 7/8's Irish the fun can start now but keep coming across this --  place of birth-Ireland. Oh well.
Heres hoping,
Josie.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start.Help please.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
Full Civil registration started in Ireland in 1864 and for earlier details you will need to research Church records, you generally need to know the family religion and a detailed location for them i.e. parish, town or townland.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Some parish records for Co. Mayo are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 16:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.Am I to assume that Mayo is a county? I thought it was also a place.
Josie.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
Mayo is a county in the west of Ireland. There are a few townlands (about 6) that include the name Mayo, but I think as place of birth on a census Mayo would mean the county.

see a map of the Catholic parishes on the Iris Times at : Mayo RC Parish Map  You can click on the various areas on the map to check the details available for each parish.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 July 18 10:45 BST (UK) »
Adding to this. Now know he was from Connacht so where will I find records please?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 July 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
I don't think you read my previous post correctly- Mayo is in Connacht, so, he's still from Mayo.

Have you read the topic Introduction to Irish Records? Shane posted link back in 2010 so if you did read it then would be good to re-read it now.

Since that time lots of new Irish records have been put online (may of them free).

Many Irish Catholic parish registers are now online but unless you know the R.C. parish it could mean lots of browsing through each parish-
https://registers.nli.ie/

Civil records here- births, deaths & Catholic marriages don't start until 1864 but with an unusual surname you might find some leads to follow up in the parish registers. You can use wildcards on the site but search place is the registration district not county. This will show you the districts for Mayo- https://www.swilson.info/regdistbyco.php
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 July 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
Adding to this. Now know he was from Connacht so where will I find records please?

As you probably know by now, there is only 1 John Crayton registered on Civil Reg...... not yours I know!!

BUT as a starting point you could do worse than checking out that Parish!

as you can see, first entry on right page has a Catherine d/o John.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632336#page/7/mode/1up

Sibling??

After that you need to look through Register..... see if there is a Myles there!!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 July 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
Catherine Creaton 1851 Swineford Mayo daughter of John and Margaret.

but that is the only Creaton/Craatin with variants I found at findmypast.ie

-----
For the general problem of finding Irish origins of people: My advice is basically look at every record you can get your hands on. Look at all the siblings and cousins who were born in Ireland. Sometimes their records will tell a county of origin. Look for obituaries, records of fraternal organizations.

If any relatives went to the States, look for their passenger manifest. The later ones required a contact person in the country from which the immigrant came. And US death records sometimes will name a county, not just "Ireland".

I found a couple of counties once on "Return of a Birth" slips that a midwife filled out for the board of health. She was Irish and she put down "Co Mayo" instead of just "Ireland."

Look at the composition of the neighborhood your husband's ancestors lived in. Were most people from the same place? A lot of people in my grandfather's neighborhood came from within a few miles of his home in So. Down.

Get a feel for where the surname occurs, I usually use Griffith's Valuation for that.

If you have trouble with place names, google it. like "what is the Catholic parish in --- registration district." Google sometimes suggests a different spelling if that is the problem as well. Get a feel for the County/Registration District/Civil Parish/Townland structure.  Google them again, like "County Mayo townlands". There are a lot of helpful sites that tell which place is where.

Catholic parishes are not always the same as the Civil Parish, but they might have the same name.

Try Facebook too. Some of the counties have really good groups. Co. Clare is one, Down is another, I haven't tried Mayo yet. People might recognize the name and be able to put it with a place.

I'll take another look at your post and infomation later today or tomorrow.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 July 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
Lots of Creaton's in Mayo on Griffiths. Same pronunciation.