Author Topic: Guernsey deaths and burials  (Read 3322 times)

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guernsey deaths and burials
« on: Tuesday 08 June 10 13:56 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is someone who looks at RootsChat who can help me find 3 burials on Guernsey?

I was given 2 of these a very many years ago by an elderly gentleman but he gave no references and I would like to see if in fact these are correct:

The first is for Samuel Hamlin who was purported to have been buried 9 November 1877 - his last known address from the 1871 census is: Hubitt's Road, St. Martin, Geurnsey.  Samuel was aged 73 on this census.

Also his daughter Eliza Hamlin was buried 20 November 1861; last known address also Hubitt's Road, St. Martin, Guernsey.

This one is a bit more tricky!  Samuel Hamlins wife Mary Hamlin who has disappeared between 1871 and 1881.  Last known address the 1871 census as before.  Mary was 72 on the 1871 census.  Did she also die and was buried between these dates?

If someone could be so kind to have a look I would be very grateful.  This family moved to Geurnsey from Somerset between 1841 and 1851 as per those censuses.

In anticipation,  Anna

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey deaths and burials
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Anna.

It would appear there are a number of anc..try tree's on Samuel but they all seem to name his wife as Ruth Banbury, you say it was Mary. Is this an error . All the other details seem to match ???

Ruth died 3 Jan 1878 but no sources are given  ???
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 15:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much; yes I put Mary by mistake, Samuels wife was Ruth Banbury whom he married on 14 December 1817 in Norton sub Hamdon, Somerset.

I read through what I sent earlier several times to make sure that it was clear and concise, but then let myself down by putting Mary!

You are "on the ball" as most of you RootsChat experts are.  Also thank you for the burial date.

Anna

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

Its a pity noone shows any sources for the deaths of Samuel and Ruth, although everyone used the same dates.  I hope someone can help you verify these.  Best of Luck.

Regards.  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 19:02 BST (UK) »
I forgot to ask: where did you find the death/burial date for Ruth Hamlin?

Anna

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

A number of family tree's on anc..try show her date of death. 

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Anna