Author Topic: Link: Oxfordshire War Memorials Website  (Read 5347 times)

Offline OxfordshireWarMem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Link: Oxfordshire War Memorials Website
« on: Tuesday 08 June 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'd really like to let everyone here at Rootschat know about a new Oxfordshire War Memorials Project that I am personally undertaking.

The aim of the project is to create a comprehensive and free to use photographic catalogue of Oxfordshire's War Memorials.

The associated website is http://www.oxfordshirewarmemorials.co.uk which went live just last week.

I'm hoping the website will become a really useful resource for family, local and military history enthusiast like myself, in fact its through my own family history research that I discovered that such a resource doesn't currently exist, so I've set about travelling the length and breath of the county to create one - I've already photographed and catalogued over 100 Oxfordshire towns and villages.

The special thing about the photographs is that they allow you to get right in and see the various names and inscriptions.

I'm sure you'll agree our war memorials are such an important part of our history and heritage and with our last WWI veteran now gone and WW2 veteran numbers declining its now more important than ever that we never forget the sacrifices that our brave service personnel have and continue to make. The memorials are a key part of our continued remembrance and I believe are truly worthy of such a project.

I'm also supporting the forces charity SSAFA in 2010 and anyone who finds the site useful or would like support the project is more than welcome in making an online donation, of any value.

People are also able to get involved with the project by advising on the locations of memorials not yet catalogued, in addition if people have photo's of men who are remembered on the memorials and would like to share them via the website that would be very much welcomed.

If you have a few moments, please take a look at the website.

Regards
Shane

Offline OxfordshireWarMem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Oxfordshire War Memorials Website
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 August 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

Further to my forum post earlier in the year, I'd like to tell you of a new update to my website http://www.oxfordshirewarmemorials.co.uk/.

Just this last weekend I have made available an exciting new search facility. To date I have transcribed almost 5000 names from the memorials, all of which are now searchable, making the task of locating a specific surname across Oxfordshire's War Memorials a quick and simple one.

Imagine, you know that your Great Uncle Robert Sheldrake died in WWI and that someone has told you that he lived in Oxfordshire and that they thought he was on a war memorial somewhere - where would you start with finding it? You would potentially have to travel to many many War Memorials, taking days and days (I can tell you from experience!) - But now, the website makes this soooooo easy!

Visit http://www.oxfordshirewarmemorials.co.uk to take a look and give it a try.

I am continuing to progress with the cataloguing and to date I have now visited 210 Oxfordshire towns and villages and taken over 1000 photographs of more than 250 War Memorials - all of which can be searched and viewed at the website.

The website is of course still only 3 months old and constantly growing, however, anyone with an interest in the memorials and fallen of Oxfordshire may find the website useful/interesting.

If anyone out there has any comments, questions or feedback I'd be more than happy to hear form you.

Kind Regards,
Shane

http://www.oxfordshirewarmemorials.co.uk/
email address removed by moderator please use PM

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
 Shane this is a fantastic site............easy to search photos are really clear  well worth a look
great work  thanks   sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Excellent resource, well done Shane and thank you! 

I've taken the liberty of posting the link under Berkshire Resources as well.  Some of the parishes, eg Wantage, were formerly in Berkshire (and for some purposes still are  ;)
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Oxfordshire War Memorials Website
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

When I tried to search the photographs I got an error message ???

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk