Author Topic: Michael F Crowe  (Read 12198 times)

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Genealogy = navigating brick walls........
    • View Profile
Michael F Crowe
« on: Wednesday 09 June 10 07:24 BST (UK) »
At the Easter Commemoration in Galbally this year, my father in law mentioned another of his family that I'd not heard of before and I'm keen to see how he links in to the tree.

Would anyone have any family information about Michael F Crowe from Ballysimon, Co Limerick? Born some time in the late 1800's, active at the turn of the century and thru to the 1920's at least.

I am aware that as well as being a railway employee he was a GAA referee and an IRB man. There is a write up of him in the series "Great Limerick Sportsmen" from 1955 which gives some info about his sporting/working career

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/libraries/limerick-city-library/reading-room/sport/michael-f-crowe.pdf

and he appears in the list of 125 Influential People in the GAA

http://limerickleader-thelockerroom.blogspot.com/2009/01/four-limerick-men-feature-on-125-most.html

Other than this, nothing. No date of birth or death, no names of parents or siblings, marriage info etc. No idea what the middle initial stands for. Would be grateful for any information or suggestions of where best to look.
Niland/Neiland/Neilan/Nyland - Dublin
Doyle - Enniscorthy
McCullen - Coastguards from Drogheda, Co Louth
Shepley - Macclesfield and Wheelock
Clarke - Macclesfield
McDermott - Macclesfield and Dublin
Pender - Dublin
O'Brien - Dublin and Galbally

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael F Crowe
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 10:10 BST (UK) »
You can check 1901 and 1911 census records and also civil registration index- then if you have no luck identifying Michael Crowe let us know and we might be able to help.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 19:15 BST (UK) »

luimneach found him on the 1901 census and using the age recorded there I've now found him on the 1911 census with a wife and child in Dublin :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mountjoy/Clonliffe_Road___South_Side/13088/

From the years of marriage on the 1911 census, there is a possible marriage for Michael Crowe in Q4 1908, North Dublin.

thanks for your help with this query.

I just have to tie his family to Brigid Kelly of Camogue who is supposedly his cousin (not sure if first cousin, second cousin or no cousin at all....).

Michael Crowe is supposed to have been one of the IRB men who introduced Harry Boland and his brother to the IRB. One of Brigid's sons, Ned O'Brien from Galbally, escaped to the USA after the rescue of Sean Hogan at Knocklong in 1919 and subsequently worked for Boland fundraising etc. Ned was also an IRB and GAA man and like Michael featured in the "Great Limerick Sportsmen" series of articles

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/libraries/limerick-city-library/reading-room/sport/ned-obrien-part-1.pdf

Doyle - Enniscorthy
Clarke - Macclesfield
Pender - Dublin

Offline edmondo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 00:30 GMT (UK) »
I have some information on the michael F crowe you have posted, most of his relatives are now living in the USA or canada, his father was Thomas Crowe from Ballyphilip Kilteely co. limerick and his mother was Bridget Moloney from Cloverfield Kilteely, he is one of 8 children and he had 4 brothers, I have a note that say his brother William died in Ballysimon "pulled by the British Body found in Kildare" A nephew of his lives in Toronto and visits ireland every year of so.  If I can be of more assistance come back to me, I am not directly related to him but hold some of the family information on my family family tree. his grandfather was John Crowe originally from Doon co. limerick

Ed

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ed,

thanks for this information. Trying to make sense of the wife's family tree is a bit of a challenge. Still can't work out where the Crowe's tie in exactly and if they are part of Michael Crowe's family or not.

Johnny

Doyle - Enniscorthy
Clarke - Macclesfield
Pender - Dublin

Offline edmondo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 17:55 GMT (UK) »
If you want to direct a few question ,giving me info on what you think is the kelly link I might be able to  help tie in the kelly side.?
ed

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 December 10 19:29 GMT (UK) »
the line I'm working back from is the wife's family who are in Galbally in the 1901 census :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Limerick/Galbally/Galbally/1506393/

I believe the wife was Bridget Kelly from Emly/Camogue, Co Tipp. My notes are a bit scrappy so I will ring the father in law over Christmas and see if I can get a bit more info.
Doyle - Enniscorthy
Clarke - Macclesfield
Pender - Dublin

Offline edmondo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 December 10 00:16 GMT (UK) »
I have done a bit of research and while I don't have any conclusive evidence that the relation exist there is fairly convincing evidence that there is a close relationship.

The Bridget kelly or O'kelly was born in Drumcomoge Emily Tipperary around 1861 she married William O'Brien from Mitchelstown Co. Cork, Bridget was married on 13/03/1890 and the witness were William Noonan & Margaret Galvin.

Bridgets mother was winifred Crowe born around 1815 (no record of her Birth exist) she is buried in Emly in the Kelly Grave Emly Tipperary after her death on 27th August 1875, her husband was John and his parents were Patrick Kelly and mary Moragan (all mentioned on the Headstone).

If winifred is one of the Crows from Ballyphilip kilteely then her father would be John Crowe and she had a brother John Crowe born around 1816 who married Johanna Dillion. He had seven children with one of the daughters called Winifred born in Kilteely 1854, so most likely this was a family name.

Johns oldest  son was Thomas DOB 1853 who married Bridget Moloney and their eldest son was called Michael F Crowe (this is the GAA man). Bridget Kelly was a first couse to Thomas DOB 1853 or a first cousin once removed to michael F.

One other thing that appears to link the family is at the wedding of James Crowe (Michael F's brother) to Mary Heelan from Elton Knocklong in April 1894 the witness on the Crow side of the house was a John Kelly I expect he was one of Winifred's children however I am not able to trace him, I have some information on Winifred's three children, Patrick who stayed in the Home place and married Margaret English, Johanna who never married and Bridget who married O'Brien.

I hope this is helpful in making the link, if you have any further info I would welcome it, I am from Kilteely just over the Boarder from Emly and now live in caherline.

Ed

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 December 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ed,

thanks for the quick reply here. That's a fab load of info you've uncovered. Much appreciated.

William was from Mitchelstown. His daughter Alice married a Noonan; will try and see if there's any more that I can track on this line to see if there's a link to the William Noonan mentioned.

I just got a copy of Thomas Twomey's The War of Independence in Limerick. Nothing re Michael Crowe which surprised but a couple of other Crowe's are mentioned.

Johnny
Doyle - Enniscorthy
Clarke - Macclesfield
Pender - Dublin