Author Topic: Cracknell in LAXFIELD  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Cracknell in LAXFIELD
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 September 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
Michael, if you tell the Suffolk Record Office Ipswich branch (via email) what events you need and which years, they will sort it out.

When you visit the SRO, there are indexes to help you decide which fiches you need to view.
Some have just baptisms and cover many years, others will have all events - baptisms, banns, marriages and burials on the one fiche and only cover three or four years or less. 
Each parish is different depending on the way the incumbent used the registers and of course the population of the parish.

Pat ...
in a very wet Suffolk  ::)
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 September 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
Michael, if you tell the Suffolk Record Office Ipswich branch what events you need and which years, they will sort it out.

Pat ...
in a very wet Suffolk  ::)

I shall email them - long trip from Aus!
PIPE, CABLE, STANLEY, WATSON, East Anglia
JUPP, WOOD, MUNN, HEARNDEN, PETERS, MARTIN, Kent & Sussex
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Yorkshire
SHEPHERD, GAY, India &  New South Wales
BERRY, Victoria

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hephzibah Cracknell -wife of james Pipe & William Goodchild of Fressingfield
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 May 20 11:22 BST (UK) »
I know this is v old!

Hepizibah Cracknell married James Pipe 19th May 1827 Norwich, Norfolk
In 1841 the family were living in Fressingfield, Suffolk 3 children James, Martha & Hepzibah

I assume that James Pipe died between 1841 & 1843 as Hephzibah married WILLIAM GOODCHILD (born Wilby, Suffolk 1817 died 1885?) April, May, June 1843 Hoxne RD.

Between 1851 & 1881 the family were living in Fressingfield, Suffolk

Hephzibah died September Qtr 1882 aged 75 years born c 1807/08

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 May 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for reply Dulverton,
I did subsequently resolve this issue, up to a point. I didn't ever find Hephzibah's baptism record, but I do know that she married James Pipe 20th May 1827 at Laxfield, Sfk.  he died of consumption 1st Sept 1842 at Fressingfield Sfk, and Hephzibah then married Wm Goodchild, as you rightly state.
As for her baptism/birth, other researchers state that her parents were Charles Cracknell and Elizabeth Baldry, who were married at Worlingworth 13th Nov 1799.
I did not follow this line back any further at that stage, but now I am more interested, especially in view of the lock-down situation (plenty of spare time :)).
Thanks for your interest.
Michael Pipe
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Yorkshire
BERRY, Victoria

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hephzibah Cracknell d of Charles Cracknell & Elizabeth Baldry
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 May 20 18:10 BST (UK) »
You may wish to visit Ken Baldry's family page at: http://www.art-science.com/Baldry/lf/lf2c.html
Here you will find the Cracknell & Baldry family line.
I do hope that it helps you solve the puzzle?

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 May 20 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that,

Michael Pipe
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Yorkshire
BERRY, Victoria

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 May 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
Michael

James Pipe's marriage licence allegation (sworn before a local clergyman acting as a surrogate for the Consistory Court of Norwich) proves that Hephzibah was a daughter of the tailor Charles Cracknell of Laxfield and that she was 18 years old in 1827.

The forename Hephzibah was often used by Nonconformist families, so it's no surprise to see Jonathan, a son of Charles and Elizabeth Cracknell of Laxfield, in the records of the Independent church at Cratfield (RG 4/2128 folio 33). Born in 1815 (two years after the foundation of that church), he was listed on one of several supplementary pages deposited with the Registrar General by the middle of 1838, shortly after the register of births and baptisms was surrendered. The date of Jonathan's baptism is not given, which suggests that it could have been several years earlier. (Many people born before the introduction of civil registration in 1837 but not entered in the parish registers of the Church of England were keen to ensure that their births would be officially documented in this way.)

Transcripts published by the Suffolk FHS indicate that Charles and Elizabeth (née Baldry) were members of the Anglican church when their daughter Myra or Mira Cracknell was received in 1805 at Laxfield, where she had been baptized in 1800 (not 1799, as stated in 1805). Whether Hephzibah was ever baptized is unclear.

Two adjacent gravestones at Laxfield noted by Charles Partridge in 1928 commemorate Mary, wife of John Cracknall (d. 23 June 1781 aged 97) and John Cracknall (d. 29 March 1783 aged 60). These inscriptions have probably now eroded beyond legibility and may have been misinterpreted in 1928. The surname is Crapnell in the burial register (SFHS index + SRO microfiche 9):

1781 June 25 Mary Crapnell widow
1783 March 25 [sic] John Crapnell single man

David

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 May 20 07:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you David,
That information is greatly appreciated - gives me plenty to work with on that line.
Michael
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Yorkshire
BERRY, Victoria