Author Topic: EDLIN family of Leicester, England and NZ  (Read 8819 times)

Offline Apple Blossom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: EDLIN family of Leicester, England and NZ
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 January 12 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stasiadevorms!

I've sent you a PM with my email address.  I'm interested to know how the 3 brothers fared in NZ after leaving the difficult conditions of early 19th century rural Leicstershire.

Maria

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 January 12 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maria,

Can you send me details of the Shropshire Edlins please.  I will check my card index and other documents to see if I can find any connection.

William FitzEdlin (Adeline) who went on the crusades with Richard I and was with him when he was killed in Normandy, had two sons Richard and William by his first wife Eustacia de Courtenay. 

Richard lived in Shropshire and so may be the ancestor of the Shropshire line.  The other son William had two sons also Richard and William.  It is rumoured that this second Richard was the freeman of Leicester in 1196 but I have found no evidence for this.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Apple Blossom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 January 12 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Yes, I'll send you what I've found in Shropshire/Worcestershire.  Let's see if we can link the 12th and 13th century.  Did William Fitz Adeline have daughters, apart from Scholastica who lived in Dublin?

I've seen somewhere that William Fitz Adeline died in the Holy Land in 1202.  Is this correct.  If so, do we know where he's buried and how he died? He must have been a good old age by then!

Maria

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 January 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maria

Thank you for the Shropshire information.  I have sent you another document which confirms your view of William.  According to my information after the death of Richard I William returned to England to sort out his debts and other problems. He returned to the Holy Land in 1199 and died there in 1202.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willowdweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 April 19 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi. I'm a descendant of the North Leicestershire Edlins, as explained some years ago on the other (now closed) thread.

We've just discovered another Edlin who almost certainly fits in somewhere; a trades union activist named John Thomas Edlin born 1873, Leicestershire, but living at 86, Robin Hood's Chase, Nottingham in 1927. He was a Labour candidate for Nottingham city council. Earlier he had been organiser for the Ironstone Quarrymen and Blastfurnacemen in Melton Mowbray.

Information from "The Labour Who's Who" 1927 edition.