Author Topic: Eleanor Rowland (HALL) b. Mauritius abt 1819  (Read 6706 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eleanor Rowland (HALL) b. Mauritius abt 1819
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 June 10 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hiya Jen...just checked on lan-opc and the George Hall /Alice Sharples is mentioned at St Peter , Bolton...it states that George was a Weaver by trade....does this help any ?....if he wasn`t a Weaver I think you can discard this marriage...allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Jaffajen

• RootsChat Extra
  • May 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 June 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Allan.

What is lan-opc?  This is a new one for me ... getting occupations is facinating!  I agree that the HALL/SHARPLES marriage seems a long shot - seemed so at the time.

Back to brick wall ... again ...  What would an English weaver be doing in Mauritius?

Cheers,

Jen
Gloucestershire: Dawes, Hall, Rowland
Devon: Davy
Tipperary: Dwyer
Co. Carlow: Perrin
Lismore, Co. Waterford: Landers
Markinch:  Imrie
Mauritius: Hall

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 June 10 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Jen......

I found the information, re the oversea birth on www.findmypast.com
This site has all British Census 1841-1911, and all birth, marriage and deaths, including those overseas........

I have just found this birth, and I am quite excited......

Ellenor HALL, Mauritius. 1823 . volume 131

My eyes are not too good , these days, and it is quite blurred, so the date could be 1822. Perhaps some one will do a double check ? It is in The Army Chaplains indices. There also appears to have been a John Hall 1833, and a Maria Hall 1834.

I don't think Ellen / Ellenor was married to Mr Powtney. He was still alive, and living in Gloucester, in 1851, and stated that he was a widower.

You can apply online for the certificate, if you think it is looking good www.gro.gov.uk

I did also look for the deaths of George and Alice Hall. These did not take place in Mauritius.

I will hqve another look though.

Kind regards

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 June 10 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hiya Jen....www.lan-opc.org.uk is a Lancashire Parish records site going back to the 1500`s....NOT ALL Parish records are submitted.....www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb is the Cheshire Parish Records Database with similarv records back to 1500`s...again ...NOT ALL records are submitted yet....allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 June 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
You could join this Mauritius mailing list and post a query.

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/MUS/AFR-MAURITIUS.html
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaffajen

• RootsChat Extra
  • May 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 June 10 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ya All,

Thank you soooo much guys.  I just love the geanological community!  I've had so much help from far-flung rellies over the past 2 years, and now complete strangers are helping me - I feel so humbled ...  If I can help with Aussie research please ask!

To Jeannie - I was a subscriber to findmypast for a while, but found it less informative than ancestry.com, so let it lapse.  I'll sign up again if you think it's really worthwhile???  I am intrigued with your discovery of some HALLs.  Ancestry.com has turned up the best results so far for my research, and I've kept that one going - I'm retired and the cash just aint coming in any more (less so since the GFC!!).

Hello Suffolk Sue!  Thanks for your imput.  I went to your link, but I am a Mac user and I was told I should be using Windows on Explorer ... Yeah, I'm Mac using Firefox ...

To Allan - are there parish record sites for Gloucestershire?  To everyone I should say I'm an Aussie and not up on geography of England.....

I'm just loving your help, especially as I'm heading to the UK in August!!! VVVVV exciting for this girl.

Cheers,

Jenni

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 June 10 15:03 BST (UK) »
Jen....

Pleased to be able to help.......

I know the feeling about being retired and cash flow . At the moment though, I would rather go without new clothes, than do without my genealogy sites. I have a full subscription to findmypast, and Ancestry.co.uk....so feel free to contact me, for any help.....

I started my research 7 years ago, and without this site, I don't think I would have got anywhere. I only had the address where my mother was born in 1917. My grandmother was using her family nick name on the census's, and it took me a age to track her down. However, I am now back to the 1720's with the Hughes family.......

Good luck, and keep asking the questions......

Jeannie
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Jaffajen

• RootsChat Extra
  • May 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 04:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jeannie.

I've bought some credits on findmypast and trawled the Army Chaplains Birth Indices.  I found the entry you mentioned ... to my eyes it looks like 1826!  Could it be my Ellen? She would have been 11 yrs old when Albert was born!!   Where can one look up the folio?

To Suffolk Sue - I have been successful (I think) in posting a thread in the Mauritius section of rootsweb.  Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Jen

Offline Jaffajen

• RootsChat Extra
  • May 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 10:59 BST (UK) »
To Suffolk Sue - Success! I registered with rootsweb and posted, and am now corresponding with two very helpful gentlemen - one in Mauritius and another in France.  Unfortunately the Mauritian genealogy site (via Henri in France) is all in French!  I do know some French-speakers locally who luckily are 'into' family research, so Hopefully a lifeline may appear.

My continuing thanks to you all.  Any ideas you come up with are always welcome.

Cheers

Jen