Author Topic: Photo of grave at Drumaroad Catholic graveyard  (Read 9456 times)

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of grave at Drumaroad Catholic graveyard
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 January 12 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi HugoD,

Thanks for all your help.  Sorry for not answering you sooner but my uncle died in the New Year.

I have looked at my records and John Hanna (1899) died in 1967 in New York and his two sisters were alive then they were called Miss Mary Elizabeth Hanna (1895) and Miss Catherine Hanna (1896).  They also had a brother William Hanna born in 1893.  There parents were Hugh Hanna and Mary Elizabeth Caines from Battersea London.

I hope this helps find out what happened Mary Elizabeth Catherine and William.

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Offline HugoD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 January 12 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry, I can't locate the burial plot of the Hanna family - when the parish priest decided that the unattended plots could not be maintained he had them levelled - all markers, wooden, slate and stone were discarded - the parishioners were annoyed++ but too late!
I will try to find the exact location but for now all I can say is that the plots were in the middle ground of the photo posted.
I remember both Polly (Elizabeth) and Kate. I was still in short pants but they seemed very tall and regal! They never talked to us much but in truth, they were very nice considering we were a total pain!!
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but family history is not of great importance to people who have never left this area.
I have just moved back here after living in London for 30 years and I'm just trying to pick up the threads. There is no help from the local priest since the last one "resigned" about a year ago. Now the parishioners rely on borrowing one from Castlewellan or Ballynahinch so there is no great interest in local affairs by the local clergy!
Regards,
HugoD

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi HugoD,

I thought I had replied to this.  So sorry for not getting back sooner.  Yes the catholic church over the years have done the same in other churchyards and they should of never been able to get away with it.  In my home parish they were trying to dig up graves to make way for a right of way to a school although there was other ways for them to do so.

Does anyone know when Polly (Elizabeth) or Kate died as I might then be able to find a death notice for them.  They were still alive after August 1967 as that is when there brother John died.

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Offline RCJH46

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 July 15 04:20 BST (UK) »
Hi HugoD
My name is John Hanna from USA, New York area, and my grandfather, John Joseph Hanna was the brother of Hugh Hanna. Hugh Hanna's son John and my father also John Hanna, were first cousins. When I visited Drumaroad in 1978 I met Kate and Polly living in the old Hanna homestead. When I visited the church graveyard back then it looked a lot different than it does now. If I can be of any assistance in answering any questions just ask.
John

Offline AidanD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 August 22 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know I’m a bit late to this discussion but I hope that I can be of some assistance. The Samuel doran named in the doran family grave photo from drumaroad cemetery above was my great-grandfather and I could possibly give you more assistance to find out if you are connected to my family?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 August 22 22:02 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, AidanD  :)

The Samuel doran named in the doran family grave photo from drumaroad cemetery above was my great-grandfather.....

Just putting up links about the Hugh J Doran on the headstone.

Hugh Joseph Doran died 11 January 1920 at 27 Ravenhill Road, Belfast. His widow Amelia Doran was the informant.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1920/05125/4410798.pdf

Hugh J Doran in the 1911 census.
House 8 in Ravenhill Road (Ormeau, Down).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Ormeau/Ravenhill_Road/216571/

His marriage on 30 July 1912 to Amelia Hamill.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1912/09922/5606988.pdf

Can you attach a link for the death of your gt grandfather in 1892?

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline AidanD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 August 22 22:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry I should have been clearer with this, my gt grandfather is the Samuel doran who died in 1996 so I’m afraid I don’t think I have the record you are looking for

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 07:18 BST (UK) »

Hugh Joseph Doran died 11 January 1920 at 27 Ravenhill Road, Belfast. His widow Amelia Doran was the informant.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1920/05125/4410798.pdf

From PRONI Will Calendars - https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Full Abstract :
Administration of the Estate of Hugh J. Doran late of 27 Ravenhill Road and 84 Bryson Street, both in Belfast, Spirit Merchant, who died 11 February 1920, granted at Belfast 9 June 1920 to Amelia Doran, the widow. Effects: £5660 8s 0d. Unadministered Grant Principal Registry (N.I.) 13th day of September 1944. Alfred E. McConnell Assistant Registrar.

1901 census - Hugh Joseph Doran
House 7 in Clandeboye Street (Pottinger, Down).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Pottinger/Clandeboye_Street/1216460/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 07:30 BST (UK) »

Do you live in or near I think it is Seaford Road as this is where Hugh Hanna, Elizabeth, etc lived

This is them in the 1911 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Seaforde/Drumaroad/236693/

In that 1911 census link, Seaforde is the District Electoral Division.

https://www.townlands.ie/down/seaforde/