Author Topic: Sutherlands in The Harrow, Ballyhaddock, Co. Wexford- HELP NEEDED  (Read 7183 times)

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sutherlands in The Harrow, Ballyhaddock, Co. Wexford- HELP NEEDED
« on: Sunday 13 June 10 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can anybody help me.

I am looking for any information on the following people....

Thomas Sutherland- Age 53 on '1911 Census'
Margaret Sutherland (His Wife)-Age 53 on '1911 Census'
Katie Sutherland (Their daughter)-Age 16 on '1911 Census'

According to the 1911 Census they where all living at The Harrow, Ballyhaddock, Co Wexford.

I am trying to find any info on them, such as Marriage, Birth, Death, their parents names, siblings, any family, anybody who think they may have descended from these people?

I know that the above also had a son William Sutherland/Sunderland and he was born c1890s. They could have also had othe children.

Anybody who think they can help then please reply here or send a private message, all replies will be answered.

Thank you for your time :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherlands in The Harrow, Ballyhaddock, Co. Wexford- HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 June 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
The place to start is a birth cert for Katie to establish Margaret's maiden name.

Is this the family on the census - Sutherland family ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Have you found them on the 1901 census ?  the other children may still be living at home at that time..

updated : this appears to be the same family in the same townland on the 1901 census :   Sutherland Family

Thomas 41
  Margret 40
  William 12
  Kate 6

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 10 18:06 BST (UK) »
I've had a search through the BMD index, but cannot see any promising matches for either the births of Katie/Catherine or William in the area of Ballyhaddock or anywhere in Co. Wexford... also nothing that I see in the index for the marriage of Thomas in Wexford (assuming that's where they married).

Seeing neither Thomas nor Margaret could write I assume the marriage and possibly the births are recorded under some variation of the surname..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

Thank you for your reply to my post. I really aprreciate your help. I think the other variation of the name is ''Sunderland'', as my Grandmother was the child to Thomas & Margret Sutherlands only son William, and on her Birth cert it states her surname as Sunderland? Maybe the name ws mis-prenounced somwhere along the lines?

Any further  help would be most appreciated. I would glady like to know more about this Sutherland/Sunderland side...

Ps: I am useless at trying to find Births, Marriages, Deaths, etc :(

Thanks Again.

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
Was Just thinking, perhaps they didn't come from Co.Wexford? Perhaps they moved there at some point?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 June 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
The census records all give their place of birth as Wexford so that's likely were they were born.

Ballyhaddock is in Enniscorthy Poor Law Union and that would also be the name of the civil registration district.
Possible birth for William-
William SUNDERLAND April/June 1888 Enniscorth registration district volume 4 page 548.
Possible birth for Katie-
Kate Sunderland Jan./Mar.1895 Enniscorthy registration district volume 4 page 583
Two Thomas Sunderland marriages in same district- 1884 and 1886.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 June 10 21:15 BST (UK) »
(I see aghadowey has just posted most of the same details ... but I'll add the details I found )

Are those census returns I mentioned the correct ones ?

If so they state the were all born Co. Wexford.

Searching the BMD index for Sunderland instead of Sutherland does give a few possible matches in the right registration district for Ballyhaddock :

Name: Kate Sunderland
 Registration District: Enniscorthy
 Event Type: Birth
 Quarter and Year: Jan - Mar 1895
 Volume : 4 / Page : 583

Kate's year of birth works out as 1895 on both the 1901 and 1911 census. There are a couple of other Catherine Sunderlands birth in the area in 1892 , 1897.. but the 1895 one above is the best fit.

Based on the 1901 census William's year of birth works out at 1889, and there's a close match in the right area :

Name: William Sunderland
 Event Type: Birth
 Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1888
 Volume : 4 / page : 548

Birth certs would show parents names etc for these to confirm if in fact they are part of the Sutherland family listed on the census returns.

The marriage for Thomas and Margaret works out as about 1888 (based on 23 years married on the 1911 census) and there is a possible match that's quite close :

Name: Thomas Sunderland
 Event Type: Marriage
 Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1886
 Volume : 4 / Page : 266

The next closest by date is in 1884.

I cannot find a cross-match to a marriage for a Margaret with the same details to confirm this and give a possible maiden name (if indeed it's the correct marriage)..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 June 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all, the above messages caught my attention. I have Sunderland's in my family tree. All my Sunderlands originated from outside Gorey, Co. Wexford in a townland called Ballyscarton. However an ancestor Sunderland married into a family (and got the land !!) in Boolavogue, which is near the Harrow; in Co. Wexford. The Harrow would only be 2 miles from Boolavogue. They appear in the 1901 and 1911 census.

Gerard
Fleming, Walsh, Masterson, Tobin of Co. Kilkenny.
Doyle, Donovan, Kennedy, Sunderland, Behan, Pender, Kinsella of Co.Wexford

Offline Delders77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 March 19 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Are you still researching ?

Hi all, the above messages caught my attention. I have Sunderland's in my family tree. All my Sunderlands originated from outside Gorey, Co. Wexford in a townland called Ballyscarton. However an ancestor Sunderland married into a family (and got the land !!) in Boolavogue, which is near the Harrow; in Co. Wexford. The Harrow would only be 2 miles from Boolavogue. They appear in the 1901 and 1911 census.

Gerard