Author Topic: Celebs announced for American version of Who Do You Think You Are.  (Read 18556 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Celebs announced for American version of Who Do You Think You Are.
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
It's on the BBC WDYTYA website so fingers crossed.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 18:12 BST (UK) »
I set Sarah Jessica's to record (which it did) and selected 'Record Series' (who says I'm not able to cope with technology? - well, most people who know me actually, but that's another story)

The point (there is one) is that I just checked my library of recordings and the one for Sunday has set itself for the BBC so it's looking very hopeful
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 01:58 BST (UK) »
ooh... i forgot I did that.  Mine has set itself too.  I love Sky+

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 12:01 BST (UK) »
Yep, mine too.  ;D

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Monday 05 July 10 11:11 BST (UK) »
So did you watch Brooke Shields?

I have to say that this American series (so far) is rubbish compared with the original version   :o

I don't think she saw the inside of a record office and was handed umpteen generations of Italian rellies without lifting a finger

It's certainly giving a very false impression of what searching your family history is like for the majority of people   ::) ::)

Roll on the next UK series   :D

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Monday 05 July 10 11:15 BST (UK) »
Saw it last night along with my partner who is not the slightest bit into family history and his one comment was "Why is it always celebrities who go back to Kings, Queens and interesting people and you just go back to even more Ag Labs"

Well thanks a lot, I happen to be quite fond of my lot actually !!!!!  ::)

Mind you I know what he means!!! and I wish I could get back to the medieval times without lifting a finger or spending a penny too  ;D

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Monday 05 July 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
So did you watch Brooke Shields?

I have to say that this American series (so far) is rubbish compared with the original version   :o

I don't think she saw the inside of a record office and was handed umpteen generations of Italian rellies without lifting a finger

It's certainly giving a very false impression of what searching your family history is like for the majority of people   ::) ::)

Roll on the next UK series   :D

Linda

Well, for some people it really can be like that (not me, unfortunately !).   If you do hook up to a 'privileged family', you quickly whizz up the ladder, finding research that scores have people have already done.  I am related to a few well-known Americans (by marriage), and once I'd found the link person, the names came in thick and fast as Ancestry hints.

As far as the programme was concerned, it was me saying "Oh my g-a-a-d" for much of it.  Fancy having an ancestor born in the Louvre !  I won't say anymore, in case it spoils it for those who haven't watched it yet.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Monday 05 July 10 14:11 BST (UK) »
Fancy having an ancestor born in the Louvre

One of my lot married someone who was born in Windsor Castle, and no it wasn't the Queen! All sorts of people get born in famous places, but it doesn't mean they're owt special.  Let's face it, castles had cooks as well as Kings.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline katerimmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Monday 05 July 10 15:09 BST (UK) »
Has anyone tried tracing the Dollingers (Brooke Shields' maternal grandmother's family)  through the censuses?  I found them in 1920 in Newark, Essex, New Jersey, but they don't seem to have come from Germany after all. 

John Head 45 Wid Pennsylvania Molder
Eddy Son 6 New Jersey
Lilian Daughter 5 New Jersey
Tressia Daughter 12 New Jersey

It says that both of John's parents were born in Irland (sic) and their mother tongue was English.   The birthplaces for the children's parents are Pennsylvania for father and New Jersey for mother (Ida who died in 1919).

John's WW1 draft registration gives his birthdate as 11th June 1874 but I haven't managed to find him on any other censuses.  In 1930 Lilian is with Theresa and her husband so I would think John had probably died by then.
Bristow, Horsleydown; Glasscodine, anywhere; Ferrier, Edinburgh; Lucey, Bermondsey; Horner, Essex; Bowskill, Elkesley; Salter, Great Yarmouth; Vowles, Bedminster/Cardiff; Morgan, Breconshire; Vidgen, New Romney