Author Topic: Celebs announced for American version of Who Do You Think You Are.  (Read 18572 times)

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
Re: Celebs announced for American version of Who Do You Think You Are.
« Reply #90 on: Monday 14 June 10 18:03 BST (UK) »
How annoying was Sarah Jessica Parker WDYTYA last night. Un..Be..liev..a..ble!

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 14 June 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
"Oh my Ga - a- a- a- d!"   Well, yes she did get rather irritating after a while!
What surprised me was that after all I've read the programme wasn't that different from ours on the surface, just considerably slicker in that she just whizzed around the states, met an expert, and got handed everything on a plate.
Compare that with say Sheila Hancock and her daughter going into genealogy sites at home, Stephen Fry searching census from the back of his taxi, and several of the others, it wasn't as good.
The other big difference was that they didn't seem to want to find out about the people, and the people for me are the most interesting part of it.   They only seemed to want to cherrypick a couple of names who linked to famous events, never mind the chain that got the family there.
I had spent time in the US, and compared to a lot of their television it was quite detailed.   If the USA wants it that way, fine, and I'll watch the rest,  though I don't think I've heard of any of them?, but I just hope they don't dumb our home produced BBC series down to match
That said - I'd never seen the said Ms Parker before, I've heard her name, who hasn't, but never seen anything she'd been in.   For an actress she had a very limited vocabulary (Oh my G-a-a-a-d and un- bel - iev - able ) but I was pleasantly surprised that the reaction and the excitement of telling her mother was pretty similar to, say, that of Amanda Redman.
Perhaps we're not all that different after all.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline ter153

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 14 June 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
the sarah jessica parker episode was shown on bbc1 in scotland last night,i didnt see it as i only saw it while flicking through the tv guide and thought oooh must watch that and forgot! should have set the reminder button duh!!

Offline monica meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 14 June 10 19:40 BST (UK) »
Very disappointing, what about the German connection????, and not much said about her father, obviously they were not worth the bother, shame I like the little details.
monica meg
Burnett, Manchester, Halifax
Mccaffery Manchester, Ireland
Law Manchester
Riley Manchester, Ireland
Boswell Manchester, Ireland
Hamilton, Lanarkshire Scotland
McLauchlan Lanarkshire
Lawson Lanarkhire
Yuill Raeside Lanarkshire
Nimmo Lanarkshire

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Monday 14 June 10 22:41 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed it. Very interesting seeing the landmarks in American history. Glad they have the same English voice over man doing it too - a calm oasis in in between the slightly manic Sarah Jessica Parker bits!

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 12:45 BST (UK) »

According to my TV guide the next programme is Brooke Shields;  9.15pm BBC1 Sunday 4th July.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks nanny jan - will set to record

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 15:53 BST (UK) »

I'd double check on the day.......football.....Wimbledon.....   ;)

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 16:15 BST (UK) »
I wish they'd make their minds up - a recent genealogy mag states the Beeb were no longer going to air the programmes, they're to be aired on Watch instead.