Author Topic: WWI veteran - help needed  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
WWI veteran - help needed
« on: Sunday 13 June 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
I'm sure many people will be aware of the splendid Roll of Honour website which seeks to remember all those who died in the service of their country. I have tried (as a sideline to my main research) to fill in gaps and help wherever possible with the names on my village memorial (Isleham in Cambs). One poor chap by the name of Frederick Webber has "no information known" against his entry on the list and I would dearly love to change that. What got me thinking outside the box was a note in the church visitor's book by someone who came to look at the place because their great uncle was on the list and I am trying to investigate the possibility that Frederick was born somewhere out of the area and just happened to be living locally when he joined up. I noted one possibility in the 1911 census for Newmarket with an 11yo Frederick, who would have been old enough to have joined up and lost his life towards the end of the conflict. I cannot match that entry to a BMD record of his birth. The Commonwealth War Graves website has no record of him. Would be immensely grateful if the collective wisdom of the board could come up with any ideas to shed light on this situation.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Online jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WWI veteran - help needed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 June 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
If you are right in your supposition that your man was 11 in 1911 then there are only a few men on the CWGC website who would be eligible:

F Webber Private   15521   11/08/1918   Age Unknown   Dorsetshire Regiment
F Webber Private   39106   10/06/1918   Age Unknown   Somerset Light Infantry
F Webber Private   27632   30/07/1918   Age Unknown   Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry
F Webber Able Seaman   R/1544   01/12/1918   Age Unknown   Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

The above are the four most likely, all the others would have been either too old or too young [one lad in the Merchant Marine was 15 when he died in 1918]. If anyone has access to Ancestry then might I suggest that these four would be the place to start.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
There are a number of reasons why you might not find him on the CWGC site.  It could be a simple misspelling of the name, or perhaps Frederick was not his first name.  He could have been in the Merchant Navy - many MN casualties are not recorded by CWGC.  Unless he died while on duty and as a result of enemy action, he would not qualify for inclusion, whereas Royal Navy deaths from accident, illness etc, are included (an injustice!).  He could also have died after 31 Aug 1921 which is the cut-off date for CWGC commemoration.  Another possibility is that he died after being discharged and of a cause unrelated to his war service, which again would exclude him from CWGC.  However, many who did die after discharge of war-related causes were missed by CWGC.

As to local connections, have you looked at the parish registers to see if he appears anywhere?  He might have married a local girl, or been a witness at a marriage.  Another possibility is that his mother came from the village and moved away when she married.  And have you tried the local newspaper archives, this is an invaluable source for tracing people mentioned on memorials.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 10 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

What about this one:

Name: Frederick Webber
Service Branch: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Unit: Hawke Bn.
Death Date: 1 Dec 1918
Cause Of Death: Died in POW Hospital Sennelager from Consumption (also reported as 29/11/18 Pulmonary Tuberculosis).
Burial: Niederzwehren Cemetery, Cassel (Germany 3)
Service History: Army Reserve 2/3/16 ; Entered 6/6/17 ; Draft for BEF 3/12/17, joined Hawke Bn. 1/1/18-8/1/18 Pyrexia Unknown Origin, rejoined Hawke Bn. 15/3/18-21/3/18 missing, POW.
Service Number: R/1544
Notes: b.25/11/1898 ; Next-of-Kin: Father, David, Coates Drove, Isleham, Cambs.

He is listed as Fred Webber on the 1901 census born Isleham.

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
I have researched the memorials in my parish and I came across one name on a memorial that isn't on the CWGC site and I traced him through the local papers and burial records.
I have also found that some of the memorials have the names of those who served and not just the fallen.
Don't forget some people lied about their age so they could serve.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 June 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
Mo,

Where on earth did you find that info? It is clearly my man, but I have missed him everywhere I have looked. Thanks very much. I should be able to move forwards from that and gather further information. He may even have relatives in the village - there are some descendents of WWI casualties who did not know this fact that I have found already.

Nick
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 June 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I found it on Ancestry under the Military Records. The full title is:

Great Britain, Royal Naval Division Casualties of The Great War, 1914-1924

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Sancho Panza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 November 10 12:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure many people will be aware of the splendid Roll of Honour website which seeks to remember all those who died in the service of their country. I have tried (as a sideline to my main research) to fill in gaps and help wherever possible with the names on my village memorial (Isleham in Cambs). One poor chap by the name of Frederick Webber has "no information known" against his entry on the list and I would dearly love to change that. What got me thinking outside the box was a note in the church visitor's book by someone who came to look at the place because their great uncle was on the list and I am trying to investigate the possibility that Frederick was born somewhere out of the area and just happened to be living locally when he joined up. I noted one possibility in the 1911 census for Newmarket with an 11yo Frederick, who would have been old enough to have joined up and lost his life towards the end of the conflict. I cannot match that entry to a BMD record of his birth. The Commonwealth War Graves website has no record of him. Would be immensely grateful if the collective wisdom of the board could come up with any ideas to shed light on this situation.

Hi
Frederick Webber Born  1899 was my Grand uncle.
Below is the link to the CWGC site.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=904490
Regards
Sancho
ps If you require any further information please contact me.

Offline Sancho Panza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 December 10 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I have contacted the site below to try and rectify the omission but have receive no reply. Can anyone tell me if the site is still active, as I would very much like to see Frederick Webber's details completed.
I do have access to a photo of Fred's original grave presumably taken in the vicinity of the P.O.W camp where he died. This might look appropriate next to his details.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Cambridgeshire/Isleham.html