Author Topic: BUCHANAN Elizabeth b c1808 Scotland  (Read 3716 times)

Offline otakiri

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BUCHANAN Elizabeth b c1808 Scotland
« on: Monday 14 June 10 02:16 BST (UK) »
The 1851 and 1861 Cheltenham Census shows an Elizabeth Buchanan. Trying so hard to confirm this is my ancestor All I have is my GGrandfather John Robert Buchanan born c 1841-1843 in Dunbartonshire, Scotland to George and Elizabeth Buchanan nee Stewart/Stuart. John Robert came out to Victoria, Australia c1852. His descendants I'm getting my head around, its his ancestors I cant seem to trace in Scotland. Then I came across a George and Elizabeth with a son John R living in Cheltenham 1851, so now the question is do they belong?
Any help ever so much appreciated.
Buchanan: Dumbarton and Victoria Australia
Stewart: Scotland
Jones, Morgan: Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Mahon, Treacy: Tipperary
Hartle: Cork

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: BUCHANAN Elizabeth b c1808 Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
??,

Why, why, why did you not give decent info.?  It would have saved me a lot of time and has made me hopping mad!

Comparison of GB's family in the 1841 Scottish census and GB's family in the 1851 Chelt' census shows common siblings of John R plus the facts of GB being of Independant means in 1841, a landed priproetor in 1851 and all the family born in Scotland.

You will not find much better evidence but please in future help others to help you by giving pertinant but not excessive info.

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline otakiri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chas for the prompt reply, not sure if you were being facetious but I sent myself to the naughty corner for a spell anyway. As I stated the information I already had (that you confirmed), is not disputed, the question is what information is available prior to this?
Kath

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
Well one of you might have posted the relevant census reference numbers at least!

If you have Elizabeth's maiden name, Kath, have you looked for a marriage?  Where in Scotland did you find them Chas?  I suppose I will now have to repeat your search myself?

:P

(Kath - Chas enjoys teasing us all!)

I have BUCHANAN in Dumbartonshire myself - wonder if we're related, lol?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 10 20:25 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census has them mistranscribed in Cheltenham HO107/ 1973/ 977/ 35

I now find myself puzzled as to what you already know and what you need to discover.  Have you got shipping records for your John: who is he travelling with, what is his occupation (if any at this stage) and does he travel to relatives?

Apart from the coincidence of names, why do you think the Cheltenham family is yours - do you not have alternatives for his parents on the census yet?

Hoping to help!

Kind regards Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline otakiri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 June 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Elizabeth's maiden name(from John Robert's Death cert) was Stewart, name recorded as Elizabeth Jane. What info was on the 1841 Scotland Census? Dont have this at all.
It would be so good to have someone else researching this Buchanan line. I have found so many other lines and am getting discouraged! Thought I may have found a marriage for George and Elizabeth but dont yet have the skills to confirm this. Date July 2 1820, Barony, ?Lanark.
Just read your new post. No I have nothing to prove these are John Roberts parents just clutching at straws! On John R's death cert it claimed he had been in Victoria Australia 61 years making him arriving there in c 1852. I know of no others travelling with him or of any other family in Australia at this time.
Kath

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 June 10 21:29 BST (UK) »
This is the possible 1841 census (possibly the one Chas had in mind?)

1841 census

Arden House, Bonhill, Dunbartonshire

George Buchanan 35 - independent - Scotland
Elisabeth Buchanan 35 - ditto
Herbert Buchanan 10 - do
Grace Buchanan 8 - Dunbartonshire
George Buchanan 5 - do
Anna Buchanan 3 - do
Mrs  Mallams 35 - Scotland
John Mallams 3 - do
+ 3 servants

;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 June 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
Meant to ask - have you used Scotland's People to see if there is a suitable baptism for your man?

Offline otakiri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 June 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
I'm not subscribed to Scotlands People