Author Topic: glassworks in Dublin 1830's to 1875  (Read 15059 times)

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
glassworks in Dublin 1830's to 1875
« on: Monday 14 June 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a knowledge of Glassworks manufacture in Dublin during 1830's onwards?

My gg grandfather was John McAulay Carrick and he had a business in 5 Mary's Abbey manufacturing (I think) glass, plaster works etc. In the directories he is listed as manufacturer but I know he was also agent for some products.

I am trying to get some background on the glass business in Dublin in this time to work out why his family came out from Scotland to be in this business.
He has connections with Dumbarton Glass on his mothers side but I dont know if this is connected. Was there sufficient sand in Dublin to be manufacturing glass at this time? Was there an explosion of the glass trade in Dublin at this time?
Any help would be appreciated.
Irish Scottish
Carrick Boyd Cooper McAuley Dun

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: glassworks in Dublin 1830's to 1875
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 10 23:37 BST (UK) »
not an answer to your request, but might be of interest as background -
it even mentions an accident, but much earlier than your time-frame

http://www.jstor.org/pss/30104125

I just googled         glass dublin 1850

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 June 10 06:56 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out about glassworks in Dublin too.

My gggrandfather John Little was born in Dumbarton and came to Dublin via Glasgow where he and his father (John Little, just to help matters) were both working in the glassmaking business, but not apparently together. I think they both worked in Dumbarton too.
In 1868-70 his father went to Newton-le-Willows in Lancashire and he left for Dublin.
He is supposed to have been a supplier of bottles for Guinness. (My Uncle Fred's memoirs).
His son and grandson (both John again!) are still in the bottlemaking business in Dublin in the published Irish censuses. And my (work) information about him stops.

I do know that there were various bottle works in Ringsend around that time. I gleaned this bit from a late 19C book online:

"Pring's glass-house was afterwards known as the Ringsend Bottle
Company, ( ELIJA PRING) and in the Cork Exhibition of 1883 exhibited black and white bottles.
Three other glass bottle factories also had exhibits, viz. : The Irish Glass Bottle Company, Charlotte Quay, Ringsend ; The Dublin Glass Bottle Company, North Lotts, and Alexander Brown and Son, 175 Church Street.

At the present day there are four glass bottle works in Dublin, viz. : The Hibernian Glass Bottle Works, The Irish Glass Bottle Works, and the Ringsend Bottle Company, all at Ringsend, and Alexander Brown's Bottle Works, Church Street."   (After 1883)

Then I couldn't find much about them!
Two heads better than one?

LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

PRICE, ALLEN, JONES, JACKSON - Gwersyllt and Wrexham

ANDREWS, DOWSE, MEMERY - Dublin, US, and Canada

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 June 10 07:16 BST (UK) »
Me again - have a look at the thread 'John Little, Bottlemaker, Dublin', if you haven't seen it. Of course I do know more about him, his marriages and children......... 
BUT the thing I don't know about is the bottle works. I don't know where they worked, who with, what company - except it is likely to be Ringsend.I don't know why he went to Dublin.
The other thing about him is that he was one of the Plymouth Brethren sect, and he later emigrated to South Africa.

Anyone - more information about Dublin Glass?
LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 June 10 19:37 BST (UK) »
The following may be of interest:
  Ringsend and her Sister Villages by Arthur Flynn   Chap.10 Glass Making in Ringsend   ISBN 1 871311 06 3
  The Irish Times  9th June 1885 Page 7Glass Making in Dublin
  History of the City of Dublin Vol.2  By Sir John T.Gilbert at Page 297..

For an earlier period Dublin under the Georges by Constantia Maxwell P.258-260 is also interesting.

I assume that the demand for glass containers increased with the emergence of and continual increase in size of a middle class after the Famine with taste for alchol beverages ,patent medicines and processed food stuffs before the use of tin cans  became widespread.

Regards    Quaxer

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 June 10 21:45 BST (UK) »
Babzi - have you got anywhere with finding out about Glassworks in Dublin in the middle 19C?
I am no further in finding out where my ggrandfather worked!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 June 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
Babzi, have you tried this,      http://www.ScotlandsGlass.co.uk     Skoosh.

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 June 10 09:19 BST (UK) »
hi to you all some new to glassmaking and some old if anyone wants to know anything on blowing pressing just ask p.s. allison i will give your your anwser about the punty mark on the newton le willows site in a bit.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 09:33 BST (UK) »
hi alison ive replyed to your post about the punty mark.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland