Author Topic: glassworks in Dublin 1830's to 1875  (Read 15057 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: glassworks in Dublin 1830's to 1875
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 August 10 15:02 BST (UK) »
John Carrick had a large area to use as production and warehousing of his products but I don't know if he actually manufactuered at 5 Mary's Abbey or not.

I just came across an entry in an 1868 for the address you mentioned, and it is described as follows :

5 Mary's Abbey
  John Carrick, crown, sheet, plate window glass, and cement warehouse
  also listed at the address is Andrew Carrick

It sounds to me that is he was involved in glass manufacturing this was done elsewhere. John is listed in the index in the section titled 'Glass and Colour Warehouses'.  Only two glass manufacturers are listed in Dublin at that time, both of bottles :

Dublin Glass Bottle Co., North Lotts. (office 46 Sherriff St)
  Ringsend Glass Bottle Co., Ringsend

The 1863 edition show the following for the address :

5 Mary's Abbey
  John Carrick, plate glass, glass bottle, and French shade &c warehouse

and the 1848 edition shows :

5 Mary's Abbey
  John Carrick, plate, crown & sheet window glass, bottle, French shade, Roman cement and plaster of Paris warehouse
  res - Pearmount, Donneycarney

John is not mentioned in the 1872 edition.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 August 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
just found some earlier entries for John :

Pettigrew & Oulton - 1840
 5 Mary's Abbey
  John Carrick, plate, crown & broad window glass, bottle, Roman cement and plaster of Paris warehouse

Pettigrew & Oulton - 1834
 11 Mary's Abbey
  John Carrick, agent for the Dunbarton glass company.
  Office and warehouse, Meeting House Lane

The address is shared with Nowlan bookbinders, Harrington moulded candles, a girls school, and Wilson cabinet maker

The only Carrick that I see listed in Pigot's 1824 is a John Carrick, printer of 29 Bachelor's Walk

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 August 10 00:45 BST (UK) »
HI Shane,

Thats very helpful especially in 1834 the proof that he was the agent for Dumbarton Glass which is his mothers family connection. I hadn't found this in print as yet.

I wonder if the 1824 Printer is my John Carrick? In Piggots 1846  there was a Robert Carrick printer at 30 Bachelors Walk and John listed as Glass Manufacturer at Mary's Abbey.

I have no knowledge of him having a brother but in the early days they were the only 2 male Carricks listed I always wondered if Robert was a brother.

Do you know if there are any records to search for when people migrated from Scotland to Ireland? John his mother and siblings seem to have been in Dublin from at least 1824 when his first daughter was born. But I have never found any record of his father Alexander who was a writer and then a merchant. Don't know if he died in Ireland or Scotland. I thought it may be possible he brought the family out to Ireland to start selling glass for Dumbarton Glass but haven't found any record of this until your find in the 1834 Directory. Thanks for that. Babzi
Irish Scottish
Carrick Boyd Cooper McAuley Dun

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 August 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
There are no records of travel between Scotland and Ireland - all part of the UK at that time. The only real way to establish when he moved to Ireland is to check for when records of him disappear in Scotland and/or details start to appear in Dublin.

Re the 1846 directory - I presume that should be Slater's 1846 directory.. rather than Pigot's. The only surviving Pigot's directory that I've come across that includes Dublin is dated 1824.

I doubt there was glass manufacturing taking place in Mary's Abbey, which is in the City Centre - maybe that was his office or residence ?. Most of this type of industry would have been either on the quays or on the outskirts of the city.

p.s. I had a quick look at Slater's 1846 for John Carrick and the entry is exactly the same is in Thom's 1848 - no mention of manufacturing, just warehouse. Robert the printer and stationer is at 30 Bachelor's Walk.

There are just two other Carricks in that index for that edition - just in case they have any connection -
  Robert Given Carrick, proprietor of the Law Recorder, 23 Prussia St.
  Michael Carrick, dealer in jewelery, 30 Wellington Quay

Pigot's 1824 shows a John Carrick, printer, at 29 Bachelor's Walk. I dont see any other Carrick listings for Dublin in that year.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 August 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
Babzi

How far back in time do you wish to go? I have a reference to a Simon Carrick in Dublin in 1692 (occupation unknown) if you would like it.

Regards   Quaxer

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 August 10 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Quaxer,

Well what I know of the Carricks is John was born Lanark Glasgow 1804 along with most of his siblings. His father was also born in Glasgow and the generation before Glasgow and Stirling.

I presume they came to Ireland for the Glass business but there may have already been family in Ireland already. I would gladly have any records you may have on any Carricks in Dublin Simon would be a good place to start.  Thank you.

I am curious if John's father Alexander came to Dublin or died in Scotland. I haven't found any record of him anywhere, which makes me think he probably died in Ireland but there just isn't any record on line to search.
He was born 1779 in Glasgow and graduated from Glasgow uni as a writer in 1802 married in 1803. Later in his life he was a merchant.
Babzi
Irish Scottish

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 August 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Babzi

On Page 6 of Volume 6 of the Calendar of Ancient Records of Dublin there is a reference to a Richard Smith (a prisoner in Newgate Jail) seeking a remission of a fine of ten pounds impose for assaulting Frances, wife of Simon Carrick. The date ,as I stated was 1692.

Regards     Quaxer

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 August 10 12:52 BST (UK) »
thanks for that. Not sure if he is one of ours or not.
Babzi
Irish Scottish

Offline Drengi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 May 11 10:03 BST (UK) »
My gggrandfather owned one of the bottle factories in Ringsend. It's the one near where the current bus garage is and beside what was once a coal yard. Sirname is McDonnell but don't have his first name. My father says he can't remember, I'll try some of my uncles they might know. Is there away to check the ownership of companies from that period?