Author Topic: Joseph Soames (Exiles Ship ) 1847  (Read 36148 times)

Offline andacala

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Soames (Exiles Ship ) 1847
« on: Tuesday 15 June 10 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Listers
I have some information to indicate (tenuous at best - but something to start on) that one of my ancestors was one of the Parkhurst Boys and arrived in Point Henry (Geelong) in 1847 aboard the Joseph Soames. However, having arrived changed his name to hide his past.
When he was admitted to hospital towards the end of his life, hospital admittance records indicated that he had been in Australia for 57 years and had arrived aboard the Joseph Soames in 1847. Information gleaned from other records also stated early in life that he was a carpenter. The juvenile inmates of Parkhurst Prison were taught a trade (predominatly carpentry), before their exile to Australia.
I am enquiring whether Listers are related or know what happened to the following Parkhurst Boys who were transported to Australia
Charles Bancroft - b. 1826, sentenced at Knutsford for stealing money from a shop
Edwin Bence - b 1827, sentenced at Bath for receiving stolen property
James Bransden (Bransdon) - b. 1829, sentenced at Portsmouth for stealing biscuits
Thomas Hughes, - b. 1830, sentenced at Glamorgan for stealing velveteen
John Kirby - b. 1830, sentenced in Nottingham for stealing money
Thomas Lloyd, b. 1829, sentenced at Liverpool for stealing a dress
John Martin aka Alfred Eaton - b. 1829, sentenced at Cent. Criminal Court
Thomas Matthews - b. 1829, sentenced at Bath for stealing a watch
Thomas Payne - b. 1827, sentenced at Westminster for stealing from person
James Rayner - b. 1829, sentenced at Chelmsford for house breaking
Charles Sansom - b. 1828, sentenced at Exeter for stealing iron
Thomas Sheffield, b. 1828, sentenced at Central Criminal Crt for larceny

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Soames (Exiles Ship ) 1847
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi andcala,

We have a member who has done extensive research into the Parkhurst Boys in Australia and New Zealand. I have alerted Tony to your thread.

Here is the main Australian thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,186214.0.html

and the NZ thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,80510.0.html

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hello to you both.
I have a book "Convicts of the Port Phillip District" by Keith M Clarke.
The people listed are all referred to in this book as coming to Geelong on "Joseph Somes" arriving 24 Sep 1847 with the exception of Charles Bancroft.
Also James Bramsden (sic) is listed.
Also Thomas Hughes came to Williams town 4 May 1847 on Thomas Arbuthnot not Joseph Somes.
I believe as Parkhurst Boys they received a conditional pardon on arrival.As an example of their disposal Bramsden was to be a general servant to George Faithful,The Ovens for 6 months at 20 pounds p.a.

Edwin Bence was to be a general servant to Thompson and Cooper,Pyranees for 12 months at 22 pounds p.a.

My Thomas Knight came on the "Eden" to Geelong arriving 4 Feb 1849 but was on shipped to Portland Bay" per ".Sophia".

I would also love to hear from Tony as have lost contact.

Hope I can help.
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Andacala,

Certainly I should be able to help you with the Parkhurst Boy "Exiles" you have mentioned as I have information for all of them, though not necessarily a great deal after they reached Port Phillip.  Incidentally, I notice you did not identify your ancestor, unless of course he is one of those listed.

Could you let me know your interest in these particular boys, as I am researching for a PhD on the Parkhurst Boys themselves and their post-prison experience.  Some of the information I have has been provided by family researchers and before I release any Biographies etc. I will need to obtain their approval, so an indication of your interest is vital.

I will send you a Personal Message with my email address.

My regards

Tony

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 July 10 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am also interested in the Joseph Soames, and I have just found this topic on rootschat.
I am looking for the arrival of my great grandfather, Thomas Brown from Westmeath, Ireland, born about 1831. I have searched all shipping lists, and the most likely candidate is a Thomas Brown who came on the “Joseph Soames” in September 1847. He had been caught in Birmingham in 1846,15 years old, for “stealing from the person”, which meant picking pockets.
He was sentenced to 10 years exile. We know that our Thomas was Irish, not English, but there was an influx of Irish people in England, as a result of the potato famine, 1846 to 1849. He could have been among them.
The authorities in Birmingham tell me that court & prison records from that time have all been shredded. I wonder if anyone has any more information about him.
Here’s hoping,
Ken

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 July 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken,

Your Great Grandfather, Thomas BROWN, is not one of the "Exiles" ex-Parkhurst Prison that I am researching, but I have managed to find the following information which may relate to him:

Born 1832;
Tried Warwickshire (Birmingham Borough) Quarter Sessions 
   09/01/1846 for "Stealing from the person";
Sentenced to transportation 10 years;
Held at Millbank Prison from 20/01/1846 until sailed 
   aboard "Joseph Somes" 24/09/1847;
He was single, could read and write and was taught the tailoring   
   trade while in Millbank Prison;
Immediately on disemabarkation employed as a Shepherd to John
   Brock of Mt. Macedon for 6 months at £20 p.a.

The above information is courtesy of Keith M. Clarke's "Convicts of the Port Phillip District".

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tony Cocks

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,
Thanks for that, it is really interesting. Now I'll try to trace that Thomas Brown and either confirm or eliminate him.
I never thought we'd find any more- what name could be more common than Thomas Brown ?
Ours married Catherine Riley, an 'orphan' sent to Australia in 1852 on the 'Diadem' with 200 other girls. I can't find much more about her either.
I suspect that both of them were abandoned by their parents in the Famine.
Thanks again,
Ken

Offline peejayOz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seeking Matthews, Boyle, Smailes, Lowe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 August 10 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have pretty extensive info on Thomas Matthews, landed in Geelong 1847 after training at Parkhurst. Do you still need it?
Phil Smailes

Matthews   Boyle   Smailes  Lowe