Author Topic: Joseph Soames (Exiles Ship ) 1847  (Read 36136 times)

Offline foster4670

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Soames (Exiles Ship ) 1847
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 09 June 18 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am doing some research on Boaz RICKARD aka RICHARD who was one of the Parkhurst boys aboard the Joseph Somes which arrived in 1847.  If anyone can supply any information on him once he landed in Geelong I would be very grateful. 
Kind regards
Lorna

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 09 June 18 05:45 BST (UK) »
I have the book Convicts of the Port Phillip District by Keith M Clarke.An excellent reference for "Exiles " to Victoria.
Seems "Joseph Somes" may have arrived Point Henry-Geelong.24 Sep 1847

Boaz Rickards convicted of stealing fruit.
Rec'd Parkhurst 12 Jul 1844 , taught trade of cook.
He was single , reads and writes.
Disposal as a shepherd to William Piper of Mt Macedon , for six months at 18 ponds p.a.

In a separate crime, his father, William, was transported for 7 years, arriving in Hobart aboard the William Jardine on 20/11/1844.

Is the name Richard or Richards?
Boaz RICHARDS, born c1828 in Horsley, Gloucestershire, was the son of William and Martha RICHARDS. 

Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline foster4670

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I regret I'm new to rootschat and still trying to find my way around posting hence my delay in getting back to you.

The RICKARDS family belong to a friend in the UK so I am going on her information on the spelling but it does look like that on the 1841 census.  On a shipping record I found it was shown as both RICKARDS and RICHARDS.  Boaz was convicted with a Thomas CLEUDLEY who on the 1841 census seems to have lived a couple of doors up from him.

Thanks for the information and especially that regarding his father as I'm not sure if my friend is aware of it!  It also answers the question 'where was William when the 1851 census was taken?'.

Again, many thanks.
Kind Regards
Lorna

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Lorna,

I understand there may be references to Boaz RICKARDS in the Australian Electoral Rolls from 1903 onwards.   Possibly this may be helpful in your search.   Unfortunately I do not have access to these particular records.

BAC3

Offline foster4670

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Thursday 21 June 18 03:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks BAC3.

Here's hoping I have access to those Electoral Rolls.

Kregards,
Lorna

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 21 June 18 04:08 BST (UK) »
I understand that  at least one of the commercial family history online organisations use a search engine that may produce results that may suggest Boaz is on electoral rolls from 1903.   However, it is also my understanding that the 1903 result actually comes back to a Boaz ROBERTS, a market gardener, in Sandringham, Victoria.     Could that be him? 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thursday 21 June 18 04:48 BST (UK) »
 :)  :)
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convict-exiles-index

Notice that the NSW Archives index spells the ship as Joseph Somes  ::)  :P  and they seem to have his surname as RICHARDS  ::)  :P

From memory, I think it was their Reel 704 noted recently as being useful.

NSW archives indexes often work well with just ONE word in just ONE box  ;D  ;D so I tried Boaz,  :D  :D  and I tried same in a commercial website's box too.  :)  :)  :)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline foster4670

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Thursday 21 June 18 05:16 BST (UK) »
There seems to be a number of RICKARDS in the Gloucestershire area on census returns and on the members.iinet.com.au site I found:

Parkhurst Boys - Joseph Somes 1847
Rickards Boaz age 16 to serve 7 years 2 July 1844 for stealing fruit
aka (Richards, Boas), retrained as a cook
refer HO 11/15 p 182

So when researching I look for both RICKARDS and RICHARDS.

As yet I haven't come across him on any of the Electoral Rolls but will keep looking.  Many thanks

Offline foster4670

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Friday 22 June 18 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hi MAJM,

I guess anything could be possible re Boaz as I believe a number of the Parkhurst Boys changed their name.  I will be following your suggestion through and thank you.

Regards