Author Topic: Burnside Home for Children - records available.  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Burnside Home for Children - records available.
« on: Tuesday 15 June 10 07:48 BST (UK) »
My father and his 2 siblings were put into Burnside Home for Children, Parramatta, in the 1920's, by their father when his parents went through divorce proceedings.

I recently contacted Burnside through their website www.burnside.org.au and was able to apply for my father's records over his 2 year stay there. The only downside was the $60 fee that comes with obtaining his file.

Today, 6 weeks later, I received 39 pages from his file. Not a great deal on him, mostly letters between his father and Burnside. Due to privacy reasons, I could not obtain any details on his siblings apart from their admission/discharge dates, which were also the same as my father's.

Oddly, the present Burnside Office "censored" one letter from the 1924 Burnside Investigator, that being the Investigator's home address, and the name of the person my father's mother ran off with. It described him as being 54 old, but his name was blacked out. Ironically, his name appears in the daily newspapers of the day concerning divorce cases, which are easily accessed on-line through the Internet.

Anyway, I thought there may be some RootsChatters "out there" who had ancestors go to Burnside, and might be interested in their records, albeit a little costly. I was informed that there wasn't a great of records pertaining to my father as his 2 year stay was considered a short stay compared to other children, who were mostly parentless.

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.