Author Topic: Thistle Street Glasgow 1912  (Read 22980 times)

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
  • Novice family history researcher struggling by!!!!
    • View Profile
Thistle Street Glasgow 1912
« on: Tuesday 15 June 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was born at 317 THISTLE STREET, GLASGOW 1912....can anybody tell me if the street and houses still exist and/or tell me a little about the Street and area....
Also she was married at 162 BROOMFIELD ROAD, GLASGOW ( Church of Scotland?) and at the time of her marriage was a domestic servant, living in, THORNCROFT, THORN ROAD, BEARSDEN....any info really appreciated....by the way she was born Janet Heron and married a Joseph McKinnon...any information greatly appreciated as I am taking my Mum upto Glasgow in July and hope to locate some of these locations.
PRICE - Hulme, Manchester / Pershore Worcest.   
ALMOND - Hulme, Manchester
STONE - Hulme, Manchester
FOY/FAY/FAHY - Galway / Hulme, Manchester
MACKINNON / McKinnon - Glasgow / Partick  / Whiteinch / Manchester
HERON - Eastwood/ Blairgowrie / The Gorbals
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thistle Street Glasgow 1912
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thistle Street was at the Gorbals area of Glasgow. I'm afraid the whole area is unrecognisable from when your grandmother stayed there. It has been built over a couple of times since then.

You can see a picture in 1917 at http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/image.php?i=17569&r=2&t=4&x=1

The house at Thorn Road is probably still the same though. If you enter G61 4BS in to Google Maps you'll be able to see the houses there. A visit should hopefully show the actual house name.

At Google Maps again using the street view you can see that 162 Broomfield Road is indeed a church but appears to be a Catholic Church.

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 01:53 BST (UK) »
Thistle Street was at the Gorbals area of Glasgow. I'm afraid the whole area is unrecognisable from when your grandmother stayed there. It has been built over a couple of times since then.

You can see a picture in 1917 at http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/image.php?i=17569&r=2&t=4&x=1

The house at Thorn Road is probably still the same though. If you enter G61 4BS in to Google Maps you'll be able to see the houses there. A visit should hopefully show the actual house name.

At Google Maps again using the street view you can see that 162 Broomfield Road is indeed a church but appears to be a Catholic Church.

Thanks  do you know what a Minister of Somerville Church of Scotland might inidicate as this minister married my Grandmother at this location??
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 08:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't say I've ever heard of it.

The only reference I can find to anything related to the name is this -

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/airgli/airgli0234.htm
What exactly does it say in the 1st column?

A look at Glasgow Valuation Rolls in 1914 shows 162 Broomfield Road as a 'House'. So perhaps it was then and maybe the numbers have changed.

A visit to The Mitchell Library might help to see what the address gives in the valuation roll for the year your Gran married.

Glasgow postcode finder gives this result for today.

Immaculate Heart Of Mary
162 Broomfield Road
GLASGOW
G21 3UE

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't say I've ever heard of it.

The only reference I can find to anything related to the name is this -

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/airgli/airgli0234.htm
What exactly does it say in the 1st column?

A look at Glasgow Valuation Rolls in 1914 shows 162 Broomfield Road as a 'House'. So perhaps it was then and maybe the numbers have changed.

A visit to The Mitchell Library might help to see what the address gives in the valuation roll for the year your Gran married.

Glasgow postcode finder gives this result for today.

Immaculate Heart Of Mary
162 Broomfield Road
GLASGOW
G21 3UE

column 1
when where married

22 june 1938

162 broomfield road glasgow
after publication according to the forms(?) of the church of scotland

in column 6 where minister details required

signed
donald m mckenzie
minister of somerville church of scotland glasgow

BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it is anything to connected to this www.fordsall.com/somerville.htm - not sure if this fits with the address/ area you have for the marriage.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hemmy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
 :o My GGP's lived at 317 in 1884.

I'll need to dig out census etc and see how long they lived there.  I do have a few addresses in the Gorbals for them though.

Heather
England: Yeomans/Hemmings-Kidderminster,Cookley,Dudley. Hartland-Kinver. Little-Cumberland. Lowe-Notts
Scotland: Steven,Deans,Hunter,Hall,Harvie,Lamont,McCreadie/McCredy,Morrison,Paterson,Milroy,Coid,Hardie,Grainger,Wood,Young,Brown,Waddell/Waddle,Stirling,Hendrie,Maitland,Reid,Gibb,Little,Moffat,Radcliffe/Ratcliffe,Campbell,Carruthers,Rae,Cummings,Telfer/Telford Baxter,Scott,Wilson,Mason,Donaldson,Brackenbridge,Calvert,Peddie,Grant,Rutherford,Gothskirk,Leishman,Mungall

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
Part of Thistle Street still exists although there are no longer any houses built on it (it runs alongside the Nautical College). In 1912 the area would have been very densely populated with the vast majority of the housing being one or two room flats in tenement buildings with a number of industrial premises sited in the midst of the houses.

Nearby was the Dixons Blazes industrial area which included major ironworks and blast furnaces - described in one book as "an aspect of hell" (possibly due to the smoke belching from the chimneys and the night sky lit up by flames from the works). (the last of these closed in the late 1950's)

I believe that if the marriage was performed by a Church of Scotland Minister that the house found in the 1914 valuation rolls is the more likely location for the marriage ceremony as it was normal practice for weddings to be held either in the Ministers Manse or in the Brides own home (it wasn't until much later that the Church of Scotland began using the actual church buildings for the ceremony)

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 June 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Part of Thistle Street still exists although there are no longer any houses built on it (it runs alongside the Nautical College). In 1912 the area would have been very densely populated with the vast majority of the housing being one or two room flats in tenement buildings with a number of industrial premises sited in the midst of the houses.

Nearby was the Dixons Blazes industrial area which included major ironworks and blast furnaces - described in one book as "an aspect of hell" (possibly due to the smoke belching from the chimneys and the night sky lit up by flames from the works). (the last of these closed in the late 1950's)

I believe that if the marriage was performed by a Church of Scotland Minister that the house found in the 1914 valuation rolls is the more likely location for the marriage ceremony as it was normal practice for weddings to be held either in the Ministers Manse or in the Brides own home (it wasn't until much later that the Church of Scotland began using the actual church buildings for the ceremony)
My Gran was born Thistle Street 1912 but married in 1938.........hope this helps and thanks for all the posts so far
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow