Author Topic: A 1922 Swindon Problem  (Read 7245 times)

Offline Alba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
A 1922 Swindon Problem
« on: Tuesday 15 June 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
I have a Grand Uncle who went to US and married an Ada Emily ?  (born about 1884)

From Census records and ships records Ada was given as being from Swindon. 

The only address I have is in the Ships Records when Ada and John Black sailed from New York to
London in 1922 and gave their address as 120 Morrison St, Swindon.

Can anyone help me with a surname for the family, living there at that time, 1922? 

Any snippet would be of help.

thanks
Renfrewshire - Black, Blackwood, Clark, Cunningham, Caldwell, Wylie, Borland, Long, Ferns, Munn
Ayrshire - Black, Brodie, Wallace
Dumfriesshire - Kellock, McMurdo,
Stirlingshire - Blackwood,  McCulloch, McNaughton,
West/East Lothian - White, Baxter, Wylie, Sneddon
Lanarkshire - Long, Borland, White, Gartshore

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: A 1922 Swindon Problem
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Alba,
Do you know when your great uncle went to the US and am I correct in asssuming his surname was Black?
Toby.

Offline Alba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Toby

Yes John was John Black, born Paisley Scotland and went out in 1912.  He married Ada about 1920. On the 1930 census for Queens District of New York, it gave that she was 35 years old when she married - she was given (on census returns) as being 46 on her next birthday. It also gives that she came to America in 1911. 

would just like to know more about her.

thanks
Renfrewshire - Black, Blackwood, Clark, Cunningham, Caldwell, Wylie, Borland, Long, Ferns, Munn

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Alba,
Any idea about her maiden name?
Toby.

Offline Alba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry Toby  I don't have any idea of her surname.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 June 10 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Alba,

John K BLACK 32 and Ada 36 travelled to NY from Glasgow 17 Nay 1922 aboard the ASSYRIA travelled to London 3 Mar 1922 aboard the CENTENNIAL STATE (120 Morrison St Swindon)

John Kellock BLACK 40 and Ada Emily 45 travelled to NY from Southampton 25 May 1931 aboard the LANCASTRIA travelled to Glasgow 22 Mar 1931 aboard the CAMERONIA (28 Glen St Paisley)

also one for Ada Emily BLACK 44 to NY from Southampton 25 Sep 1929 aboard the HOMORIC Travelled NY to Southampton 8 Aug 1929 aboard the MEGANTIC (120 Morrison St Swindon)

Information from these lists tells us that John Kellock BLACK was naturalized Fed Court Philadelphia 4 Mar 1919 and Ada Emily by marriage 22 Feb 1919

Passport application of John Kellock BLACK naturalized US citizen applies for a passport for himself and his wife Ada Emily BLACK who was born Swindon England. He swore he was born in Paisley Scotland on the 28 Apr 1890 and that his father John K BLACK is residing in Scotland and that he immigrated from Scotland sailing from Glasgow Apr 10 1912 and has resided in the US from 1912-1922 residing Pennsylvania and NY. He was naturalized on the 4th of March 1919. His permanent residence is Corona LI NY. He is a plasterer. He desires a passport to visit Scotland to visit relatives and England to visit relatives. He has never had a passport before. He will be sailing aboard the Centenial State 21 Feb 1922 Sworn Feb 11 1922

Ada Emily BLACK housewife of 33 41st Street Corona LI NY stated that she had known John for 8 years sworn on Feb 11 1922

passport to be sent to this address

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 June 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Krisesjoint,
                     Amazing what detail you provided. Hopefully that sort of detail may one day be available for the period 1860 - 1880 for transatlantic sailings.
Toby.

Offline Alba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 June 10 22:50 BST (UK) »
Krisesjoint 

Many thanks for searching out this information but I already had it.  This only thing I don't have is Ada Emily's maiden name.  Not once on any of the information I have found, does it give her own name.   I thought that the 1922 address in Swindon would have helped.

When they returned to America in 1922, My Great Grandmother went with them, for a holiday and in 1931 they came to Paisley to celebrate the Golden Wedding of his parents (my Great Grandparents).

Many thanks for the help sofar 
Alba

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 June 10 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Alba,

I didn't realise you had it all as you mention they married about 1920 where the date was provided in one of the entries. I played with it most of yesterday and tried everything I could think of. Perhaps the naturalization record will give her maiden name or work on the marriage date 22 Feb 1919.

I can't find the address in census. 1901 we have early numbers (to 18 I think it was and then continuing from 134 with nothing that I can find in between.) I did find a couple of directory entries I though would help as I had some neighbours names (1910) but still no joy.

In 1910 Directory - we have Miss Dorothy LAW at 122 (Dressmaker) One would think that should be next door.

also
Sydney STANLEY at 121 Grocer
Edmund TUCKENOR at 134 Grocer

Perhaps if you try these names in 1911 you may get there.

One thing I noted which I found of possible interest was John's first Crossing on the same page we had a Ada E DAWSON of the right age (English) but no sign of someone with that name in Swindon. I tried looding for a crossing for Ada E's and most of the names of Ada's born Swindon area about the right time without any joy either.

Even considered family may have moved there later but the passport application does give her birthplace as Swindon. (We know there was certainly an association longer than just 1922 with that address - between at least 1922 and 1929)

Hopefully someone can find something for this period.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk