Author Topic: Campbell, Cains, Muldoon, McCann, Callaghan, Gentle  (Read 10720 times)

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell, Cains, Muldoon, McCann, Callaghan, Gentle
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 February 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I am not mcgyver but I recognise this info - I believe that this might have come from the ship 'Adam Lodge' Register when they came to Australia. Robert Campbell and his wife Bridget McCann came to Australia as Free Settlers on the Adam Lodge.  On the register they had said that they came from Fermanagh, Magherocross and Robert said his parents were Jane Cain and Joseph Campbell (in the army) - both deceased.  They had the 4 boys with them and their ages were recorded as above - we assumed they were their children.  Also, the register said that a daughter Jane was in the Colony already with her husband 'McDoon'  We do know from other info that this should be Jane married to Muldoon.  (but she certainly had many husbands/partners after coming to Australia, so she possibly could be Jane Muldoon after a second marriage)  However, maybe all the 'drama' started once they got to the Colonies.  What we don't know:
*  no record of Jane Cain and Joseph Campbell marrying so we don't know Robert's parentage
*  what Army? - we suspect Joseph could have been English come across the border for peace-keeping?  but this is a suspicion, not a fact
*  we can't find any record of Robert and Bridget marrying
Is there anyone out there who has access to Magherocross documents - Eniskillen also features in some info about this family so it is either Magherocross or Eniskillen.
After they came to Australia, a LOT of drama unfolded - it seems that while Robert was a good man, his children played up quite a bit.  Thomas, his son, was under suspicion for no less than 3 murders, one of which was Jane's husband Robert Muldoon, one a neighbour - Jane and Thomas went to gaol for their part in this.  Robert, the original patriarch, was himself murdered when he went to get some money out of the bank - it was a long horse journey and he was set upon and murdered.  His wife Bridget remarried and her 2nd husband was murdered as well under dubious circumstances.  I am a direct descendent of Robert Campbell, the patriarch and would dearly like to solve the mystery of where the Campbell's came from to move further back.  Also, the Cains, McCanns and Muldoons must surely have all been local families.

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 February 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Whoops - Jane Muldoon and her husband Thomas came on the 'Adam Lodge'
Robert Campbell and his wife Bridget came on the 'Susan'
Just in case it is relevant to anyone who might be able to help us.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 February 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - and thank you to George Armstrong - I remembered Ballinamallard featured in other documents, so will go through these - can't see too many Roberts with a Bridget with a quick search.  I do hope we are not dealing with multiple marriages as it would be just too hard to tease out.....

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 February 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - and thank you to George Armstrong - I remembered Ballinamallard featured in other documents, so will go through these - can't see too many Roberts with a Bridget with a quick search.  I do hope we are not dealing with multiple marriages as it would be just too hard to tease out.....

Only saw the one I posted earlier....

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 February 18 22:51 GMT (UK) »

Thomas CAMPBELL born 1 May 1826 at Magheracross Fermanagh.

Robert's daughter Jane Campbell born 31 March 1812  Drumsole, m. Thomas Muldoon in 1833.  Jane and Thomas Muldoon sailed to NSW Australia aboard 'Adam Lodge' in 1837 with their 2 boys and 2 girls.

Any help would be appreciated.

mcgyver :)

**Thomas CAMPBELL born 1 May 1826 at Magheracross Fermanagh.

**  Birth  3/4/1826      Thomas s/o Robert  CAMPBELL + Bridget, Drumsloe   is nearest.

https://www.logainm.ie/en/61201   Drumsloe

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 February 18 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark - these are the only 2 that I could see also that might be relevant.  I think there is a possibility that Robert Campbell, Snr might have changed his birthdate as you had to be under 40 to take advantage of the Free Settler's bounty.  However, on the 'Susan' register the DATES are very specific in terms of day, month and year for the kids.  It does make it challenging - I can imagine someone changing the year, but ....also the month and day of the kids'???  It is a pity that there are no documents from before 1800 as I think Robert Snr would have been born in the 1790's.........
Interesting there are no Muldoons, Cains, McCanns in the Registers - I would have thought the families would have been from the same areas if they were inter-married. ?Any other pointers as to where to look, I would be very grateful to all.

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 February 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
McGyver - where are you getting these very specific dates from?  It would be good to compare stories as I have quite a bit of info AFTER they came to Australia, but can't find any documents proving their ancestry BEFORE they came to Australia.  Perhaps between the 2 of us, we can provide what we know for sure, so we can fill the gaps

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 February 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
1 May 1818 19 20
 Drumsloe, Magheracross, Fermanagh, Ireland

Source:  Monaro pioneers. [database on-line].
[Immigration] Immigration   March 1839 (Age 20)
 Sydney Cove, Greater Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Source:  Ancestry.com. New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007
Text: Assisted (bounty) immigrants who arrived in NSW aboard the ship Susan in March 1839:
- Robert Campbell, a native of Fermanagh Ireland parish of Magheracross, son of Joseph Campbell in the army and Jane Cains of the parish above married, now deceased, a shoemaker, age on embarkation 40 on 12 Nov 1838, Church of England, could not read or write and content with treatment on board
- Bridget Campbell, of the same parish as husband, daughter of Michael McCann a farm labourer at Magheracross and Mary Thompson his wife, in farm service, age on embarkation about 40, in good health, Church of England, could not read or write
-- John Campbell, 20 on 13 May 1838 a shoemaker and farm labourer
-- Samuel Campbell, 17 on Nov 1838 a shoemaker
-- Robert Campbell, 15 on 12 Jun 1838 a farm labourer
-- Thomas Campbell, 12 in May last 1838
He has a daughter in the colony married to Thomas McDoon a blacksmith - she came out in the Adam Lodge - her christian name is Jane