Author Topic: PENROSE, Margaret nee ALLEN Irvine Terrace Dublin  (Read 3883 times)

Offline MPWELLWOOD

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PENROSE, Margaret nee ALLEN Irvine Terrace Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
If you look up census of Ireland 1911 , 9 Irvi ne Terrace
Margaret Allen Head of Family age 65
Margaret Allen Daughter. Domestic servant age 29
Brig at Allen Daughter age 25
James
Allen 26 son
Plus two others.
I own this property. If you Google it you will see how small it was for six persons

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
Irvine tce Abercorn rd Eastwall.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you both. I have only just got notification of your reply, MPWellwood, so sorry for the delay. Lovely picture of what it looked like in earlier years. My grandmother was Christina Allen.

I did visit Dublin in 2014 & went to see the area, realising how small the cottages are! My older sister thinks Margaret was known as Greta though another family member says she was Maggie. She died in 1949; I have the mass card. Christopher died in 1947 & mass card is held. Death notice was in Dublin Evening Mail 13 May 1947

I am now going to have a trawl of the newspapers as I have a sub to findmypast.

Thank you again.

ADDED: The family had moved from Mullingar Co Westmeath where Michael the father, born 1829, had been a land steward. I wonder why they moved to such cramped accommodation in Dublin when he was 70 & then he became a labourer? He died in 1903; his age reported as 68 by his widow but this is not correct.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON