Author Topic: "Died at HOME" Service Record  (Read 11842 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Died at HOME" Service Record
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 November 13 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Another RC member has brought this old thread to my attention, so I thought I would post to tell you that I will be visiting this grave later today to pay my respects.  I live in Talgarth and often walk up to the now derelict hospital site and visit the graveyard.  Other than this military grave, all other graves are unmarked and the burial ground itself is completely overgrown with brambles.  However, this grave is kept clear - presumably by someone from CWGC.  I will be taking poppies with me to place on the grave. 

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 November 13 10:31 GMT (UK) »

An article in yesterdays Daily Mail

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0wt2/

If you know of a forgotten memorial in your local area start shouting! 

Disgusting and disgraceful how three men could end up under a supermarket car park and the Liverpool Church >:( that just beggars belief  >:(

Another RC member has brought this old thread to my attention, so I thought I would post to tell you that I will be visiting this grave later today to pay my respects.  I live in Talgarth and often walk up to the now derelict hospital site and visit the graveyard.  Other than this military grave, all other graves are unmarked and the burial ground itself is completely overgrown with brambles.  However, this grave is kept clear - presumably by someone from CWGC.  I will be taking poppies with me to place on the grave. 

Regards
GS

Wonderful news GS...one saved but a long way to go yet!

Suey

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 November 13 15:22 GMT (UK) »
I've been up to visit the Talgarth Hospital war grave today to pay my respects. The area around it had already been cleared so I didn't need to use my secateurs.  Here are a couple of photos I took duriing the visit.  You will see from the second photo how overgrown the surrounding graveyard is nowadays.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 November 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »

I think it's so sad.  What generally happens is that they call it 'nature or wildlife friendly'.  No-one takes any care with it, it becomes a shambles of nettle, dock and bramble and before you know it the bulldozers move in.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 November 13 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Currently there is a planning application to turn the hospital site into a residential area, although this is facing a lot of local opposition.  If it does go ahead, I am hopeful that the graveyard and adjacent chapel might be included in the landscaping plans and tidied up.  Currently however, the chapel's windows are boarded up and, as you see from the photos, the cemetery is just a mass of brambles and weeds.  As you say, very sad.  Also sad for the many former patients of the hospital who are all buried there in unmarked graves, the war grave being the only one documented and with a headstone.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 November 13 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you contact the CWGC if the site is in a mess you might find they actually do something about it.

I found some war graves in a deplorable state in a cemetery and contacted the CWGC and was asked to submit photograph's it turns out if the CWGC do not have gardeners on site then there is usually a local contract to keep war graves in a re sonable state of cleanliness after all these people performed the ultimate sacrifice.

Yours Aye
BruceL