Author Topic: Solomon Potter & Phebe Banham  (Read 7413 times)

Offline Lalzovi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Potter & Phebe Banham
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 16 May 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, they do seem to baptise in batches, except... The FreeREG transcriptions of the non-conformist christenings do actually state that William and Humphrey were both born on 24 April 1822 - they were twins unless the transcription is wrong. With no further mention of Humphrey I assume he died as an infant, and I'm still playing with the idea that William was baptised twice, but accept your caution that there are two.

I've turned my attention to Solomon too, testing out all the older suggestions made on this thread, and am quite happy with how things are going if we take Solomon's parents to be Nathan and Ann. Some interesting things come up which may be relevant to both Solomon and Phoebe. Both of them have a gap of about the same decade in which no siblings were born:

Elizabeth Potter b 1808
Solomon b 1809
Harriet b 1810
Ann b 1821
Bathsheba b 1824

Phoebe Banham b 1812
William b 1822
Humphrey b 1822
William/Sarah Ann/Eliza...

Some hypotheses for the gap:
-Children born in this gap were not baptised at all
-Children born in this gap were baptised non-conformist but the records for that decade are missing/destroyed/never existed/not yet transcribed online
-No children were born - were the fathers absent together, in prison, abroad or posted elsewhere for that decade?

If the non-conformist theory is true, it is worth bearing in mind that Bathsheba was baptised in 1825 in the same Wesleyan church in New Buckenham as William and Humphrey, but Ann had an Anglican baptism in 1821. The Potter and Banham families might have been part of the same Wesleyan church at some point but at least for the Potters the continuity is not straightforward.
HEATH, WOODCOCK (Midlands)
GILBERTSON (Shetland), HOY (Fife)
NEWMAN (Bath), NAILER (North London)
VICCARS, GEORGE (Buckinghamshire)
CHAPMAN, SWAIN (Lincolnshire)
HAIGH, HAGGAS, BEEVERS, WALKER (West Yorkshire)
AYRE (Bishop Auckland), POTTER (Norfolk)

Offline Lalzovi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 16 May 19 17:45 BST (UK) »
If they were non-conformist for that decade, they weren't baptising children at Wesleyan New Buckenham. There are no other Potters or Banhams listed at that time other than the ones we know about:

http://tinstaafl.co.uk/nbp/Church_Pages/buckenham_new_wes.htm

Handy record though!

EDIT: The record starts at 1813, the New Buckenham Circuit was founded in 1812 and another source says the church started in 1808 (https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NFK/buckenham_new/Chapel1). If Solomon was born and christened in 1809, it's possible his record (if made at all) was made in the limbo period before the church gained its own Circuit. The first link above confirms what Nanu tried to explore before, that they were previously part of the Diss Circuit.

Offline nanu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 16 May 19 21:53 BST (UK) »
Be careful re Bathsheba Potter. I recall a while ago I looked at her but for some reason came to the conclusion she was part of the other Potter Family which includes Joel Potter who also lived in Winfarthing, Norfolk.

Will look at my stuff at the weekend
Potter - Norfolk
Bailey - Devon
Ridley & Robinson - Durham

Offline Lalzovi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 17 May 19 00:33 BST (UK) »
Yes I saw the discussion of the two Bathshebas earlier in this thread. This one is recorded in the Wesleyan baptisms above as daughter of Nathan and Ann. I am currently working on the (admittedly unconfirmed) assumption that Solomon is also the son of Nathan and Ann, to see what happens...

Did you ever get a copy of S&P's marriage record which you were looking for when you started this thread? I downloaded it from FamilySearch and will send it if you don't have it. Elizabeth Potter is the witness, which would fit nicely with Nathan and Ann since they had a daughter Elizabeth born in 1808 just about a year before Solomon.

Offline nanu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 18 May 19 19:53 BST (UK) »
Yes I got a copy but it didn't name Solomons parents as I had hoped.

I have Phoebes birth record but struggling to attach it
Potter - Norfolk
Bailey - Devon
Ridley & Robinson - Durham