Author Topic: 1841/51 Census Paisley- completed  (Read 18725 times)

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/51 Census Paisley- completed
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I also have 2 Cochrans in my family tree without the "e"!

Margaret Cochran (born c.1771) married Matthew Tannahill (1777-1857) in 1796 in Paisley.  Matthew was the brother of the Paisley Poet, Robert Tannahill (1774-1810).  I am descended from Andrew, Robert and Matthew's brother.

My other is Mary Cochran (c.1840-1883).  Mary married George Parr (c.1841-1924) on 29/10/1861 at 13 George St, Paisley.  They were the parents of my Step Great Grandmother, Mary Parr.

I haven't really done any further research about these Cochrans.

Caroline
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline,   I can't see any connections (just at the minute) to my lot, but Goldie will probably be back on later to see if anything rings a bell to her lot :)

The Margaret Cochrane m. 1796 the same year as my Agnes but at the moment I can't find a way of proving a relationship, but possibly sisters.

If I find anything I will let you know :)
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline mcjames

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 17:42 BST (UK) »
There are several Walter Nicol's in the 1841 Census - but haven't been able to definitely pin one down to 'ours'

Which child of Millar do you descend from? I have found 9 children of Walter and Margaret Robertson.

Hi Goldie,

I have also found 9 children. My line comes through his daughter, Janet, who then married a John Reid.

I believe this census listing corresponds to our Millar Nicol and his family:
1841 Census, Parish of Abbey, Burgh of Paisley, Lylesland
Millar 33 silk handloom weaver, Margaret 30 pirn weaver, Walter 13 silk handloom weaver, Margaret 11 hand loom weaver assistant, John 9 hand loom weaver assistant, James 7, Janet 4, Isabella 1

In the 1851 and 1861 censuses the family is on Mary Street, also Parish of Abbey, Burgh of Paisley. Same children, same order.

Tootsiepie, I have already made my 3 posts and will be PMing you shortly.

Thanks!

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 21:07 BST (UK) »
Tootsieppie - can't see any connections at the moment - my Cochrans didn't come to Pailsey until about 1830 - so yours were there earlier.
As I don't have certificates etc to hand I'd be grateful if you could pass them on to mcjames. Thanks.

Hi Caroline. Sorry, but as above, my Cochrans seemed to have come much later than yours to Paisley, so can't find any connection at the moment.

mcjames - yep, this is the same family. Your Janet Nicol was sister to my James Nicol - both children of Millar and Margaret Robertson. Although Millar says he was born in Paisley (sometime between 1800 and 1810 I'd say - he's not very clear with his age!), I can't find the record. Nor seemingly can all the other people with him in their family trees on Mundia.com. The trail seem to go cold.
Always something to try to solve!
Happy hunting  8)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline mcjames

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
Goldie, yes, Millar is a stumbling block for almost everyone researching this family. Some of the confusion about his age comes from a mistake in the 1851 census, where Millar and Margaret are both listed as 10 years older than they actually were (the kids ages were correct). Here are the census listings I have for them:

1841 (June 7) Millar is listed as 33, Margaret as 30
1851 (Mar 31) Millar is listed as 56, Margaret as 55  [clearly in error, they were 10 years younger]
1861 (Apr 7) Millar is listed as 57, Margaret as 56
1871 (Apr 2) Millar is listed as 68, Margaret as 66
1881 (Apr 3) Millar has passed, Margaret as 77

Ignoring the 1841 ages which are inconsistent, and correcting the 1851 ages, Millar would have been born about 1804, give or take. In the 1861 census Margaret is listed as having been born in Govan, and I have found a Margaret Robertson born in Govan, Lanarkshire, on 1804 Apr 13, which is just about right. Millar is listed on the census as having been born in Renfewshire. Although no specific place is mentioned, he married, had kids, and died in Abbey, Paisley, so it is likely he was born there as well. The Abbey seems to have kept good records. Maybe someone here has access to them. Hope that helps!

Jim

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 August 12 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldie,  Most of certs been sent.... Have a lovely time in Scotland.    If you can, go to Paisley Library, research room, and ask for indexes to Paisley newspapers. You can search by name , for every year, e.g. Nicol and just look for Walter, Miller etc.  I think it is computerised now, but you will either be able to see the original article in the newspaper, or a computerised copy.   It used to be the massive books the poor Librarian brought to a desk, and of course you always needed more than one book.  ::)
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 August 12 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim
I'd come to the same conclusion as you about Millar's birth date - good to know others think likewise :)
I see I have written on my notes that there are 23 deaths under the name of Walter Nicol between 1800 an 1854 on Scotlands People - that's an awful lot of credits to use up, and probably the reason why I never got any further!

Thanks for the info about Paisley Library and the newspapers tootsiepie - I'll try and get there -  if I'm allowed!  8)

Offline a1an23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldie,

I am just getting back into family research, having been away from it for a good few years and have just done some basic Google searches to see what I may have missed in that time. I came across this message board and think we may well be related, through the Cochran’s of Paisley, Darvel and Strathaven.

I was born in Paisley, where my father, grandfather, great and gg grandfathers were born, the family coming to Paisley from Darvel in, as I recall the early 1830s. The basic family line is as follows:

Alexander Cochran

John Cochran 1731-

Alexander Cochran 1751 – 1804 (m. 1744) Mary Smith

Michael Cochran 1775 - ? (m. 1795) Agnes Mair and later Isobel Jamieson

Michael Cochran 1804 – 1874 (m. 1825) Margaret Young (Moved to Paisley)

James Cochran c1842 – 1928 (m. 1863) Jane Hart

Michael Cochran 1869 – 1940 (m. 1893) Isabella Cunningham

William Cochran 1899 – 1965 (my Grandfather)

The above is taken from some rough notes that I have dug out, but should be fairly accurate. Does this tally with your research? If so I am more than happy to exchange notes, once I’ve got myself straight again.

Have you been on your trip to Paisley and Ayrshire yet? If not I may to able to point out a few locations you may be interested in.

Regards
Alan
Cochran(e): Paisley, Darvel, Strathaven.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 September 12 10:49 BST (UK) »
Greetings cousin!
We are indeed descended from the same Cochrans.
Our common ancestor is Michael Cochran 1804 who moved to Paisley, as you say, about 1830.
My gggrandfather is then another Michael c1827 - brother to your James c1842 - I can't find Michael's birth either - I wonder why they were not christened? or at least we can't find them. There were about a dozen children to Michael and Margaret Young.
Michael born 1775, married to Agnes Mair and Isolbel Jamieson, died 5 Oct 1850 at Darvel Loudoun.
It's interesting you have Alexander's (born 1751 at Avondale) father as John Cochran. I have found this birth on the Avondale register - do you have any other evidence or information to definitivly say this is the right Alexander Cochran? I see there are others within range that it could possibly be.

I have lots of info about the Cochrans. I don't know what you have already found out - let me know if there is anything you want. I can send you my email on a PM (Private Message), but I thiink you have to have made 3 posts before you can do that. Just keep writing back to me!

I made my 'pilgrimage' to Paisley about a month ago - it would have been great to meet up with you. We had a fantastic time - retracing our ancestors footsteps and finding some of the places they had lived (quite a few demolished now of course). I spent a happy couple of afternoons in the Local Studies Library - could have spent MUCH longer there!
We also met up with another branch of the family who still live in Darvel which was very interesting. He also has a ,lot of info about the Cochran's around there.

I'm off on the big silver bird this afternoon, but hope to hear from you when I get back to NZ.
Cheers  8)