Author Topic: Anyone researching GALLOON , especially Dernish Is ?  (Read 19162 times)

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone researching GALLOON , especially Dernish Is ?
« on: Friday 18 June 10 09:14 BST (UK) »
Newbie - First post - Be gentle!!

Looking for anyone that is/has researched this area. I am seeking specific info on Gardiner (incl variants) & Bryans family in the area. Also any families known to have married into them. any help would be appreciated, I am unlikely to visit N. Ireland anytime soon (although hoping too next summer). I have already obtained the usual 1901/1911 census info, PRONI Wills, Freeholders etc. Also scoured all the common websites (Fermanagh Gold, IGI, FamilySearch etc).

I already have a large database of both families BMD info from various sources, but still have a good few gaps.

Also interested if anyone has/is/was researching rent roles, deeds, or other related info for the Manor Waterhouse Estate.

During my research I have collected a large amount of BMD info for families of both Gardiner/Bryans names across Fermanagh, so if anyone is looking let me know. I also have some Clingan & Downey Births & Marriages.

Regards, Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone researching GALLOON , especially Dernish Is ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 June 10 09:55 BST (UK) »
Rusty,
         You appear to have searched all the usual sites. I have access to Emerald ancestors which list 1853 marriage of Hugh Bryans to Julianna Gardiner and the 1890 marriage of Alexander Gardiner to Frances Bryans. If you don't have these I will give you details.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 June 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
Kingskerswell,

Many thanks for the reply, however I have already recorded all the Gardiner (& variants) vitals from both "Emerald Ancestors & Irish World Family History Services (IFHF). And no it has not been cheap. I have all the Bryans from Emerald Ancestors & am working through selected Bryans on IFHF.

Since the updated data on family search, I have been able to be more selective on the records I pay for. I still have many gaps though these sites only have transcribed data from public records, there are still a lot of records still in local custody. Specifically the Sallaghy church records, that contain a lot of the records I seek, I hope to view these when I visit.

I should have mentioned earlier that although I am a newbie to forums, I have been researching my family for several years, however I am still learning and still benefit from help & experience from others.

Thanks again, Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 08:18 BST (UK) »
I recently visited Galloon cemetery on Galloon Island looking at McAviney headstones - a  lovely area!

Are you aware of a census substitute for the Sallaghy area in the Clogher Journal - I think dates to mid 19th century taken by the local Church of Ireland minister.

A Fermanagh Census
Brian MacDonald
Clogher Record, Vol. 14, No. 3 (1993), pp. 77-110
Published by: Clogher Historical Society

Keep digging for sources rather than for the names. It is the sources that provide the names.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
I've got Sarah Jane BRYANS b 14.10.1893 Croghan, Lisnaskea, d/o Wm Bryans & Emily Murray. Wm Bryans was s/o Wm Bryans & Sarah CLINGAN, m Sallaghy 10.7.1860.

Bryans & Clingan together suggest there may be a connection with your research. And Sallaghy is not far from Galloon.

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 July 10 21:23 BST (UK) »
Gortinanima,

Thanks for the tip, I have however already purchased the complete publication of "A Fermanagh Census" as published in the Clogher Record from the website. But you are correct, its the sources I'm after.

So if anyone has already visited PRONI and has recorded details from the Madden/Manor Waterhouse Estate Rent roles, and/or records for leases for the names Gardiner & Bryans for all areas within this estate, I'd love to hear from you.

Elwyn,

We have a match, My GtGtGt Grandfather was William Bryans father of your William that married Sarah Clingan. They came from Dernish Island in Galloon Parish that later became Sallaghy. My GtGtGrandfather was James b. 1 Jul 1825 & Maried Mary Montgomery. However this part of the family is still work in progress.

William (abt 1795) married Catherine Hicks & had 9 children (that I know of). Arabella (1818), Dorcas (1821, William (1822), Edward (1822 born 4 days after William & died soon after birth) Edward (1823), James (1825), Elizabeth (1827), Johnathan (1830, Charlotte (1831).

William (1822) is the one that married Sarah Clingan, I have them as having 6 children 2 of which are "unnamed" males on the birth records with birth dates of 25 Feb 1867 & 14 Mar 1869. I believe these children were named William (yours) and John but have no Idea which matches the birth dates. The other 4 children were Emelia (1865), David (1871), Isabella (1874), & Sophia (1876).

Love to hear if you have more on this family. Your welcome to what I have.

Rusty

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 July 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
Addendum to last.

Elwyn and I have made contact, It's a family match & we are corresponding by email now.

However, I am leaving this thread open in case I have any more luck!!

Rusty

Offline Marthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I too just started researching the Bryans. I've learned a thing or two, but I haven't been able to put them in Ireland:

--William I. Bryans was born in June 1812 (according to his wife's Bible). He was a shoemaker.
--His wife, Mary/Margaret Bamford, came from Ramult in County Fermanagh. She was born in 1817. I have no record of when or where they married.
--The next records place the couple in Elgin County, Ontario, in 1847, where their first child, Sidney, was born. In all, they had 8 children, seven of which lived to adulthood.
--I've also just learned that Williams' siblings, Richard, John, James, and Mary, also lived in Ontario as a painter, a cooper, a farmer, and a housewife respectively.
--In 1865 William brought his family to the northern panhandle of West Virginia and the rest, they say, is history.

I'm hoping that, in your collection of Bryans data, you might have the pieces I'm missing--how and when he made it to Canada, how he met and married Mary/Margaret, where he was born. Anything will be appreciated.

Yours,
Margaret

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 February 12 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marthur,

I do have a fair bit on "Bryans" in Fermanagh, nothing I can see matches what you have. Do you have any Idea of Townland, where they might have married? Any siblings birth death or marriage info? anything you know on emigration/immigration? Do you know any more about the Bamford connection, parents, siblings etc?

If I can get a bit of a lead I may be able to help.

You need to make another couple of posts on the main board before we can use the PM system.

Rusty