Author Topic: Help finding 1848 death not on S.P.  (Read 12489 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Help finding 1848 death not on S.P.
« on: Friday 18 June 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
I would like to get a death cert for either James Douglas or his wife formally Ann Smith they both died December 1848 in Dumfries  of cholera. I have had no luck finding a marriage for them either first child born Torthwarld 1825 so have been unable to confirm the parents of James Douglas born c 1800 I do know Ann Smith was the daughter of James Smith and Ann Glendining she was born Torthwald 1806 any advice appreciated

Audrey

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding 1848 death not on S.P.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 18:58 BST (UK) »
You will not find any death certificates for anyone in Scotland before 1855 when statutory registration was introduced.  The best you can expect is a reference in the Old Parochial Deaths and Burials Register kept for the parish where the person was buried.
In the 1848 cholera epidemic there were 251 deaths/burials registered in St Michael's Parish in Dumfries.  The list records only two for DOUGLAS,  Ann aged 46 buried Dec 2, 1848 and James aged 47 buried the same date.  The OPR list only one SMITH, Menie aged 21 buried Dec 14, 1848
The OPR gives no details other than name, age and date of burial.
You can see a photo tour of this graveyard at http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dfsgal
Use the index to find Dumfries Graveyards then St Michael's
There is a general memorial at the location of the mass burial to those who died in the first cholera epidemic of 1832 [no names are given] and very few are recorded.  I've been told that was because the clerk was an early victim and nobody took on the task of registering the names of those buried.  The monument inscription states that '..more than 420..' were buried in the mass grave.
There is nothing in the graveyard to indicate where the 1848 epidemic victims were buried but again I'm told they are under what is now paved pathways leading to Burns Mausoleum.
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 20:27 BST (UK) »
!832 Cholera Epidemic Memorial in St Michael's Kirkyard Dumfries
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 07:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the very detailed reply ,very sad ,yes that is James Douglas and his wife Ann.They were  my G.G.Grandparents

Audrey

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 October 10 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi I found your post i have a James Douglas born 1799 in Closeburn Dumfries my g.g.g. granfather is he any relation to your Douglas relatives as I am in Australia trying to get further back than this or finding siblings   is proving difficult thank you in advance for your reply bye Jennifer   

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 October 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
Jennifer
If you can give me a bit more info I may be able to help I.E.name of wife and any children
Audrey

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 October 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey thank you for your reply i made a mistake writting James the name is John Douglas born 1799 in Closeburn married a Charlotte Nivison incloseburn  in 1832  they had 3 children 1 john douglas born 1833 in keir dumfries 2 william douglas born 1836 in keir dumfries 3 jannet douglas born 1839 keir dumfries    William is my direct ancestor he married a Jannet born 1835 in scotland from english census they had 7 children the 1st born in torthorwald her name is Jannet born 1855 2nd john douglas born 1858 in farlam cumberland eng 3rd charlotte douglas born 1860 in farlam cumberland 4th elizabeth douglas my direct ancestor born 1862 in tindalefell cumberland  5th james born 1864 6th william douglas 1867 7th mary douglas born 1870 i have sent for elizabeths birth certificate to find out her mothers maiden name i look forward to your reply thank you for your time regards jennifer

Offline nanato5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 09:03 BST (UK) »
hi jefna
              there is a submitted entry for birth of janet douglas
              on family search,24th dec 1855,christened jan 11 1856
              torthorwald dumfries,parents william douglas and
              janet,maiden name king.
                                                           eva
mcgilp & pringle,kilbride ,bute                                                 
mackie,fife .                                                                 
brabender& pringle,glasgow.edward biggar,peebles                                                 
pringle&brown,& aitken,glasgow ,                                                           
wight,east lothian & borders.little,lothian.

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Eva Thank you very much i appreciate you looking for me it helps to know the maiden name of the mother  I can look for her family now thanks bye Jennifer