Author Topic: A George McCann  (Read 16660 times)

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A George McCann
« on: Friday 18 June 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
I have been stumped for sometime now in regards George McCann Drumcree parish. He was married to a woman that I only have the first name of Mary. But he had a son called Edward sometime around 1845-55. The Edward in question being my Great grandfather. The problem is for the last 5 years I cannot get anything relating to the said George McCann or his wife Mary. I think they were Catholics but I can't be sure.

I can't access the paid sites as I have no credit card. But I managed to find 3 george's that married Mary's around the early 1800s. Is there any kind soul out there from the Armagh area that can give me some help. If only that I can finally put this to bed. :(

If you can please help me and I will be in your debt. By the way Edward married a Teresa Hamill from Breagh in 1871 in Belfast. But on their marriage cert they are both down as being from St John's parish Drumcree.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A George McCann
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 June 10 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I can find a record of George McCann who married Mary Cooke on 2 Feb 1855 in Drumcree Church of Ireland. The IGI lists two children, Mary 1865 and Elizabeth 1868.

Regards

ADDED   I have just looked at the 1901 census and found a George McCann and his wife Mary and two grandchildren living in Breagh
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 June 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I have done a bit more digging and now think that the above marriage is not the one you are looking for. I have found three children of Edward McCann and Teresa Hamill, Patrick born Antrim 1869, George born Tradeston Glasgow 1871 and Mary born 1874 again Tradeston.

Regards

Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 June 10 21:38 BST (UK) »
That is the people I am looking for but how they ended up in Glasgow is beyond me. Can you tell me what site you used to find them? And thank you very much for your efforts. This is a big break through for me after all this time. No wonder I was so far off the mark. and it would seem that Edward might have been CofIreland and became an R.C. to marry. This might be why I cannot find a George/Edward connection.

Thank you.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 June 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I used various sites, Emerald Ancestors, the IGI and the on-line Ireland census.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 June 10 16:25 BST (UK) »
Well again thank you very much for your help. Just to tell you the main problem I have had is the fact that the family in question had a very large variation in their ages. For instance the Teresa McCann I referred to died in 1926 and the age on her death cert was 66? Yet she gave her age as you may know in the 1901 Census as 52? Also her son Francis died in 1931 on his death cert the age given is 45 in fact he was 56. It is said it had something to do with a pension. But you would think you would lie to say you were older not younger. This is one of the main reasons I had so much trouble and up until now still had.

Regards

Mackers

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: A George McCann and son Edward
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 April 15 09:40 BST (UK) »
It's been a while and I've had great help from others in the past but I am still no closer to finding out about my Great great grandfather George McCann from Portadown's Drumcree Parish St John's (I think) and his son Edward my great grandfather born about 1844/5.

I was wondering if anyone could find any more information at this remove. I hoping that since my last post some other records have been released to help in my search. Here's hoping any way.

Thanks in advance of any replies.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 April 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
If it is something to do with Pension then check Pension applications??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 21:38 BST (UK) »
If it is something to do with Pension then check Pension applications??
Thanks for your reply hallmark. I'll try anything at this stage.

Regards

Mack