Author Topic: Devonshire look-up please - DAVY/DAVEY  (Read 11630 times)

Offline Jaffajen

• RootsChat Extra
  • May 2009
    • View Profile
Devonshire look-up please - DAVY/DAVEY
« on: Saturday 19 June 10 07:43 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate any help in confirming details on my ancestor Thomas DAVY/DAVEY.  I have been given information that he was born in Topsham, Devonshire in 1773, to Robert DAVEY and Alice.  Thomas was transported to NSW in 1803 "for the term of his natural life".  I have confirmed information on his life in NSW - name change to DAVIS, marriage, children etc.  I would like to trace his family back further in England.  Thanks in anticipation.

Jen
Gloucestershire: Dawes, Hall, Rowland
Devon: Davy
Tipperary: Dwyer
Co. Carlow: Perrin
Lismore, Co. Waterford: Landers
Markinch:  Imrie
Mauritius: Hall

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Devonshire look-up please - DAVY/DAVEY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 June 10 09:55 BST (UK) »
hi jen there is a marriage for a thomas davey marrying a elizabeth pile in 1796 in topsham it says he was a lighterman

kerry
tustin,harrison,blizzard,bradshaw

warwickshire birmingham staffs

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 June 10 09:58 BST (UK) »
sent you a pm ;D

kerry
tustin,harrison,blizzard,bradshaw

warwickshire birmingham staffs

Offline Sim123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 January 11 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi there he is also a gggggggrandfather of mine i have traced the davis/ davy family back as far a a robert davy born 1741 married to a Alice Milton born 1743 i dont no how far you have gotten but please let me know if you are on the same track

cheers Simone Davis

Moderator Comment: email address removed to help prevent spam and other abuses as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Note: New members need to make 3 postings before the PM system is fully functional.
Thomas Davis of prospect nsw Australia
Thomas Davy 1773 and the Davy family from Devonshire England

Offline Jaffajen

• RootsChat Extra
  • May 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 January 11 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simone.  Yes I'm on the same track as you!  I have the DAVYs back to Robert DAVY b.1657 in Topsham, who married a Rachel b. 1661 (marriage date unknown at this point).  They had a son, Robert (christened 5/4/1683) who married Elizabeth WARE (christened 9/5/1677) in Heavitree, Devon on 23/1/1706.  I know of two sons, Robert & William.  William (christened 30/4/1710) married Agnes TAYLOR (born abt. 1714) in Exeter, St. Leonard on 12/8/1733.  They had a daughter named Elizabeth (b.1733), a son named William (b. 1739) and a son named Robert (christened 4/12/1741) who married Alice MILTON (1743-1805) in Topsham on 11/12/1768.

Which brings us down to the point you have reached!  Robert and Alice had two sons I know of; John (born 1769) who married Agnes LANGWORTHY in Heavitree, Devon on 23/3/1791 and had six children; and our Thomas (1773-1850)

The Davis family have kindly shared information with me on the many lines of the family descended from Thomas and Harriet TYLER.  My line is that of their youngest son, Mark.  Which branch are you on?

Hope this has been of help.  Feel free to contact me again.

Cheers, Jenni                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Sim123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 January 11 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I had an idea that it went back to Robert and Rachel but wasn't completly sure i haven't been able to search any further than that. So it's nice to know that we are both on common ground here :)

My line is of Thomas Davis 1813 and his son Thomas James Davis 1842, William Mark Davis 1849, Claude William Davis 1882, Claude Edward William Davis 1910,

Hope this help's you too

Simone Davis
Thomas Davis of prospect nsw Australia
Thomas Davy 1773 and the Davy family from Devonshire England

Offline Jaffajen

• RootsChat Extra
  • May 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 January 11 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Simone!  We are 4th cousins, twice removed!  I had your family details down to Claude William and his six siblings.  We have an unwritten rule in geneaology circles to not share details on living relatives, unless we know the recipient well.  Just a word of caution to you!

It's so nice to see a young person researching their tree.  Most of us are a bit long in the tooth - I started about 30 yrs ago, but career and family halted progress for a while.  Of course we didn't have internet resources back then!

If you'd like more info, reply to this post and I'll send you a PM with my email adress.

Cheers,
Jen

Offline jamxr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 12 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

We have a connection with Thomas Davy who came to Australia.
His son James Davy.  Never new of the surname Davy as he was known as Davis.

Offline Jaffajen

• RootsChat Extra
  • May 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 March 12 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  I have no information on James, other than his birthyear, 1824, as the sixth child of Thomas and Harriet.  If you've read my previous posts, you'll see I am descended from James' youngest sibling, Mark.  I would love to add James' life to my database.  I am slowly building up a narrative on Thomas and Harriet's life, and then will move onto their children. 

I have a lot of detail on family which is centred on dates and places, but my interest now is on "putting flesh on the bones".  Any information on James and his descendants would be greatly appreciated.  I am willing to share my information, too.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Jenni