Author Topic: Devonshire look-up please - DAVY/DAVEY  (Read 11567 times)

Offline jamxr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Devonshire look-up please - DAVY/DAVEY
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 March 12 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you for your quick reply.
I only found your post a couple of days ago and I am a descendant of James Davis & Jane Morgan.

Offline jamxr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 March 12 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't have information back further than James.
But am happy to share info.
I've been trying to trace the Davis family for over 15 years.

Offline mdavy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 September 12 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Davy family. Can anyone tell me please if there is a "Jonathan Davy" in this Devon branch, born circa 1740 - 1750. Father wither Robert or William. ?

Thanks Kindly.
MCD.

I have a Jonathan Davy (gggg grandfather) buried in Cardiff 1798 ..  but have suspicion he originated from Devon.

Offline oakie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 June 13 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am a descendant of James Davis and Jane Ellen Morgan. I have their death certs. both died in Dubbo Australia. Jane's parents are Henry Morgan (convict) and Marie(also known as Mary Ann) Pearce born in England, daughter of Thomas Pearce (convict)and Mary Stuart. James Davis death cert states that his father was George Davis, publican, mother unknown. making Thomas Davey and Harriett Tyler not his parents as I and others had thought. Any help with finding this George Davis would be wonderful. I am new to this site and finding it difficult to find my way around it!

Offline dougydaycare85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 October 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there my name is Lindsay Davis and I am researching my tree and have somehow found you and simone whom I am somehow related. I have quiet a lot of info on the tree but am still missing a fair amount can you help. Ps Simone im not living to far from you as I am in maitland

Offline jamxr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 October 14 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindsay.
Are you a descendant of James Davis & Jane Morgan?

Offline dougydaycare85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 October 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
No I don't believe so. I am a long descendant of Thomas Davis/Davy. My closer linage is that of Percy Augustus Davis and Percy Alexander Davis.

Offline kctoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 September 19 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi apologies,  as I know this is an old post,  but contrary to popular opinion,  I fear the Thomas Davey (occupation Lighterman) who married Elizabeth Pile in 1796 is unlikely to be the Thomas Davy who found himself transported for life to Australia a few years later. 

The pardoned convict Thomas Davis who subsequently married Harriet Taylor in 1811 could only leave a mark on the parish registers. Where as 15 years earlier Thomas Davey the lighterman was able to sign his name on his wedding day.

Still, I most happy to proved wrong, if some one has documentary or DNA proof to connect the two. 

I myself am connected to Thomas and Elizabeth through their daughter Hannah who married William Hugh Henry Chesterman.  Would be very happy to see if any descendant of Thomas and Harriet is a DNA relation to me on Ancestry. Let me know.

Happy ancestor hunting everyone
Kerry
Beer(Stoke Damerel)
Birkby(Kippax)
Bowbeer(Chipstable)
Buddle(Holborn)
Chesterman(Exeter)
Collie(Banff)
Collinge(Rochdale)
Collins(Winterslow)
Connors(Ardmore)
Crombie(Edinburgh)
Davy(Heavitree)
Fitchett(Bretby)
Foote(Semely)
Fuller(Dartford)
Hook(Bristol)
Kershaw(Sowerby)
Morshead(Morval)
Norgate(Whitby)
Paul(Bishopgate)
Pulman(Martock)
Rose(Banff)
Shafto(Durham)
Smith(Stockport)
Symons(Stoke D)
Usher(Portsea)
Wake(Ditcheat)
Witherly(Bristol)
Wheelas(Fewston)
Wheelhouse(Hebden Bridge)

Offline dh33

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 November 23 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry (kctoo),

I am also a descendant of the Thomas Davy line through Sarah Ann Hueston (nee Chesterman), who was Davy's great-grandaughter.

I'm afraid I'm guilty of conflating Thomas Davy the lighterman and Thomas Davy the convict. Apart from the handwriting evidence, which is compelling, can you point me to other records which distinguish the two?

My father has a photograph of Hannah Ann Chesterman (nee Clements b 1827, grandaughter of Davy and Elizabeth (nee Pile)), Sarah Ann Hueston (nee Chesterman b 1850) and an infant, whom I'm told is my great-grandfather, Arthur Edward Hueston (b. 1893). I'd suggest it's a Christening photo. Very happy to share with you if it is of interest, noting that I'm not sure where we both sit in the tree.

PS. I am new to family research and consequently unsure of protocols regarding the sharing of information. If this post shows I've gone about it the wrong way, then I am happy to be corrected and educated.

Kind regards,

David H
Gold Coast, Queensland