Author Topic: Hugh Little - 1880  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Little - 1880
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 June 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
No thunder threat here in Dumfries, its a beautiful warm sunny evening - nice breaze and not too hot.
Hi Gadget,
You wrote:
<<...I'm confused by Sandy's last message. I thought that we were talking about a Hugh Little b. 1880 K-J not someone b. 1867, K-J...>>

Sorry about that but up to now, except for my earlier mention of RERRICK Parish in Kirkcudbrightshire, the focus of the previous page of responses has been about Dumfriesshire and Kirkpatrick Juxta in 1901.  Your last two messages clearly place David's grandfather Hugh LITTLE in Kirkcudbrightshire 1901, not Dumfriesshire. It is easy to get confused and mix up LITTLE families in D&G, there are lots and lots of them.  D&G have a database which list 400 gravestones with MIs referring to LITTLE families.
I have a copy of  the DGFHS 1901 Census Index on my home computer so I'll try to clear up the confusion I created.  In 1901 there are actually 3 Hugh LITTLEs located in what we now call Dumfries and Galloway.  One is the family in Kirkpartick Juxta which I detailed and two in Kirkcudbrightshire, namely one in TROQUEER Parish and the other in RERRICK Parish. 
The Hugh LITTLE in RERRICK was born in 1880, the Census page is Reg District 879 Enumeration District 3 page 14 if anyone has access to the film they could check that before I can.
So David's Hugh LITTLE is not in Kirkpatrick Juxta in 1901.  Was he related to the Kirkpatrick Juxta family? I don't know but because he was born there in 1880 David may be able to link the family names I listed to other names he has already found through his research. 
Gadget's most recent posts clear up my confusion about Kirkpatrick Juxta and Rascarrel.
Cheers,
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 June 10 22:41 BST (UK) »
 :)

I've just been doing some searching on the relationship of the two Hughs:

Briefly, Hugh (1880)'s father was Robert, b.c. 1853. His mother was Agnes Little, b.c. 1817. Her parents were Robert, b.c. 1785 and Mary Charteris

Hugh (1867)'s father was Robert, b.c. 1839, His father was Hugh, b.c. 1812. His parents were Robert Little and Mary Charteris

So Robert Little and Mary Charteris were Hugh(1880)'s and Hugh (1867)'s  great grandparents and the two Hughs were thus 2nd cousins:

James Little m Helen Muirsman
              |
           Robert Little m Mary Charteris
                            |
Hugh b. 1812            Agnes b.c. 1817
|                                |
Robert b.c. 1839         Robert b.c. 1853
|                                |
Hugh b.c. 1867            Hugh b. 1880

Sources - SP, various D&G censuses and the  IGI

Note - both Agnes and her father, Robert, died in Craigielands Village

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Beatrice_Jordan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hugh McNaught Little was my great Grandfather.  He is buried with his third wife Helen Hunter in St Michael's Cemetery Dumfries.  I have a photograph of the headstone.  Two children are buried with them, their names are on the headstone. xx