Author Topic: Michael Neary to Australia  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Neary to Australia
« on: Sunday 20 June 10 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to get any information on Michael Neary whom came to NSW Australia from Roscommon around 1870 or 1871  maybe with a brother John Neary whom settled at Muswelbrook in the Hunter River area.

His father's name was John Neary and Mother Annie ??.

Michael settled around Maclean NSW and went on to marry Catherine Driscoll in Maclean NSW in 1877, he had a settlement at Tullymorgan near Maclean and died in 1924.

I can find no records on how Michael (and his brother) came to Australia or anything on his Irish heritage and any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards

Gerry

Offline johnros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Neary to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 July 10 10:54 BST (UK) »
Can you supply approximate ages fot John, Anne, Michael, John (junior)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Neary to Australia
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 10 13:45 BST (UK) »
Johnros, thanks for the reply,

I haven't got very much but here goes.

From an index card I found at the Maclean Historical Society it says.

Michael Neary, Born Roscommon and came to Australia C 1871.  Married Catherine Driscoll at Maclean NSW 28th Oct 1877.

The card said that he was 74 when he died in 1924 which makes a birth around 1850.

The online NSW BDM records have his father as John and mother Annie on his death registration 20532'1924.

I'm only guessing that he had a brother that came out as well and settled around muswelbrook NSW only because on the online NSW BDM for a death for a John Neary 5194/1930 this person's father was named as John and mother Ann. 

Two Neary boys with the same mother and father's names I made a big assumption that they may have been brothers and they both came out from Ireland.

Someone else who is researching Michael Neary as well told me that he came out to NSW on the Sultana but I can't find any records of this.

Regards  Gerry