Author Topic: Baptism: Sarah Ann Mansfield /Thurrock Greys  (Read 3762 times)

Offline myshell007

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism: Sarah Ann Mansfield /Thurrock Greys
« on: Sunday 20 June 10 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for Sarah Ann Mansfield.  Family records tell me her birth was 23 Mar 1833, the 1841 census says she was born 1834 in Thurrock Greys. Her marriage cert states that she was living in South Ockenden at the time of her marriage.

Is is possible that I could find conformation of Sarah Ann's birth.  Her parents were Robert and Sarah.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers
Myshell

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism: Sarah Ann Mansfield /Thurrock Greys
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 10 06:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Myshell

The 1841 has Sarah (aged 7) living in Grays, Thurrock with her parents but it does only state Essex as her place of birth not Grays, Thurrock and her parents Robert & Sarah have a N by whether born in same County so they were born somewhere else?

The 1841 census will tell you if an individual is born of the County that they are living in by means of Yes/Y or if they are not born of the County they are living in by means of No/N.

Grays, Thurrock is by the River Thames, South Ockendon is two or three miles north of Grays.
In 1851 Sarah is aged 18 and working as a house servant in Gravesend, Kent which is just across the River Thames from Grays and was easily accessible by ferry. Sarah's stated place of birth is Gays (Grays)Thurrock, Essex

It looks like Robert Mansfield may have died Mar qtr 1848, Orsett R.D and its possible that Sarah Ann Mansfield (his wife) may have got married again in Gravesend to a William Robert Jewiss on the 10th Dec 1850 at St Georges, Gravesend

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 10 08:06 BST (UK) »
Something strange going on......

1851 census
2 Pleasant Row, Gravesend
Alexander S Jewiss.......head....49....waterman.....Gravesend, Kent
Mary Ann........."............wife......51.........................Dartford, Kent
Robert.............".............son.......9..........................Gravesend, Kent
Sarah Ann Jewiss........visitor.....17.........................Grays, Thurrock
------
*it appears that Sarah Ann Jewiss is you know who?
it appears that Sarah Ann Mansfield (daughter) is the one that got married to William R Jewiss who appears to be born 1830 to Alexander & Mary

SO....Sarah Ann appears on the 1851 census twice under different surnames, thats what it looks like?

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline myshell007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 June 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryant,

Thank you for that info, I had looked at the census before but had failed to check the original printout to find the Y or N before. It could be helpful to me because there is a possibility that Robert and Sarah originated from Suffolk, which is where a marriage has been found for the right names of parents.

(while I was typing a new post came through, so yes )
Sarah married in 1850 to a William Robert Jewiss so I have her located from this time onwards, but unfortunately I have not been able to find Robert and Sarah her parents on the 1851 census.

Still trying to verify her details so I can link everyone up.

Cheers
myshell

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 June 10 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Myshell

A possibility but you need evidence  :-\

There is a baptism of a Robert Mansfield on the 23rd Feb 1794 at Swaffham Prior, St Mary, Cambridgeshire. Parents William & Ann
-----------
4th Dec 1812
Robert Mansfield (a minor) of Swaffham Prior married Sarah Medcalfe (Metcalfe) of Haddenham at Cottenham, Cambridgeshire...but that would make Sarah older than what she appears in the 1841 census ie 40 (1841 rule 40-44=40)
---------

Bryant

Offline myshell007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 June 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryant,

Too many possibilities, A possible marriage on the Suffolk Marriage Index.

Robert Manfield, widower
Sarah Cousins

30th June, 1823
Drinkstone.

One other variant in this mystery is that on Sarah Ann Jewiss's Death cert it states that she was born in Bury St Edmunds Suffolk, which leads me to think that this is where her family hails from, thus the posibility of this marriage(which I gratefully received from the Suffolk rootschat site). This Robert was born in 1792, and although on the 1841 census Robert's year of birth is 1796, I know that these dates were not always the right ones. Sarah his wife's birth year is only one year out. Nothing is certain but it gives me more information to carry on with.

cheers
Myshell

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 June 10 09:22 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census had a rule....

If individuals knew how old they were they might state it.....
Otherwise the 1841 rule was...... those aged 40-44=40, 45-49=45 etc so Robert was aged 45-49 in 1841 and Sarah was aged 40-44 in 1841..........providing someone knew how old they were?

Bryant

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 June 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
Myshell

The marriage details of Sarah Ann Mansfield....did it say where she was living in South Ockendon at time of marriage

Bryant

Offline myshell007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 June 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryant,

Thank you for that clarification, I have had a few of my relatives with wildly different birth years in different censuses, and I have known some of their birth dates for certain, so I assumed that they just did not always tell the truth. Is there anything else that I need to know that may help me(since I seem to have a few things twisted).

In reply to to(The marriage details of Sarah Ann Mansfield....did it say where she was living in South Ockendon at time of marriage). Yes, that is what is recorded on her marriage cert, she was married in Gravesend.

Bryant

Cheers
myshell