Author Topic: LUMKINS of Theberton  (Read 1786 times)

Offline frankish.gingell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LUMKINS of Theberton
« on: Sunday 20 June 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
Looking for help please.
Am looking for family origins in Theberton.

John Lumkin b c 1804 Theberton took his family to Wiltshire and settled in Castle Combe s a gamekeeper.
I am trying to settle his parentage.  I believe his father was Jeremiah Lumkin and his mother either Maria Turner or Esther Todd.  I am also trying to identify his siblings ? Biddy, Esther, William, Edward, Sarah, Ezra, Eliza?
John's first three surviving children, Lavinia, George and Eliza were born in Suffolk in 1832, 1830 and 1837, but the remainder in Wiltshire.

Louisa Gingell

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Lumkins of Theberton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 10 10:23 BST (UK) »
Louisa, hello and welcome to rootschat :)

have you looked on the IGI on familysearch site for John's baptism?  That may give you his father's name in the parish records.  You certainly should check that out.

A bit hard to make suggestions where to look apart from parish records as you seem to have collected quite a bit of info about the family.

charlotte

Offline frankish.gingell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lumkins of Theberton
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
thank you for the advice, but I have done an electronic check of IGI searching on the variants of Lumkin and Lumpkin.  Nothing returns. 

Offline Aliceemma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LUMKINS of Theberton
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am related to John Lumkin born 1774 who married Esther Todd born1774 died1865. One of their children Elizabeth Lumkin 1798 - 1888 married a Samuel Green and our line started from there. I believe John Lumkin your ancestor was My ancestor Elizabeth's brother and we know that there was another sister called Jemima. They were all from Theberton, our Lumkin/ Green line moved down into Ramsey and Harwich. We did not know her brother John moved to Castle coombe so thanks. We do not have any other information, unless you know more.....

Offline swendeperle82

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 December 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am related to the Lumkin family through my grandmother. I have been having some problems researching this side so I would appreciate any extra information. I got back as far as Esther Todd who is apparently my 5th great grandmother. However, she is listed as Esther Todd in the census records but not Esther Lumkin. Also most of her children are referred to as Todd Lumkin or just Todd in various records. I have been unable to track down a marriage record for Esther Todd so I assumed that all of her children were maybe illegitimate as in the few baptism records I found, no father was listed. Either that or she was actually Esther Lumkin who married a Todd and for some reason her children decided to take on her maiden name. It's all very confusing!

Thanks,

Leanne

Offline Glandrian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 February 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys, I hoping to clear things up for you (or confuse you a bit more). The Lumpkins are a major part of my family as 2 of my 5th great grandparents are sibling Lumpkins (they didn't marry each other so don't worry).  I also live a 5 min walk from Suffolk records office so have been back and forth quite a bit.  John Lumkin (20/7/1804-1884) who married Susan Barrell (1806-1891) on 19th Aug 1829 in Martlesham, Suffolk. They had 3 children in Theberton and 4 in Castle Coombe. John's parents are Jeremiah Lumkin (1769-1832) and Maria Turner (1770-1836), they married on 2nd April 1792 in Theberton, I have found just 2 children for them, the above mentioned John and Sarah (22/12/1796-28/10/1867). Jeremiah's parents were John Lumkin (?) and Sarah Newson (1731-1815) they married 11th Oct 1748 in Kelsale, Suffolk. They had 6 children including the above mention Jeremiah...Elizabeth 1754, John 1758, Edward 1761, Martha 1764 and Esther 1774-1865 all born in Theberton. This is the Esther that have you puzzled, she had 8 children out of wedlock ... William 2/10/1794, Elizabeth 27/7/1797, Biddy 7/6/1801-1822, Susan 20/2/1804-1884, Jemima 7/6/1808, Edward 12/11/1811, William 1814-1892, Maria 1821, I have located all their baptisms and there is no father mention with Esther sometimes being recorded as Hester.  On 18th Sept 1827 Esther marries a William Todd (1759-1835) in Theberton.
While at the records office one day I happen to get chatting to a gentleman researching the Lumkin/Lumpkin line, he tells me that there was a big breakup in the family which is why some Lumkins/Lumpkins change their name to Todd, I like to think that William did such a ood job looking after children that may not be his that they took his name, we will never know. I have tons more info on them if you need it. My connection with this family is via Biddy 1801 and her cousin Sarah 1796, with them both being my 4th gt grandparents. Hope this helps.
Regards Marie