Author Topic: Woodchester mystery help please  (Read 2447 times)

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Woodchester mystery help please
« on: Monday 21 June 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hello

Where do I start !

An article was published in the Times in 2001 regarding the famous Angel apparition supposedly captured by Cine film in the 1950's. This turned out to be a massive publicity hoax to bring Woodchester Mansion into the limelight !.

However I am truly stuck on one thing - were there really American service men camping out in the Woodchester Park grounds in 1944, and did some die whilst driving across a pontoon bridge over one of the lakes in the Spring of 1944?????. I cannot find any report of such an occurrence in the Times newspaper, nor can i find any factual report using all of my on-line sources.

I need to complete a history report so any help would be absolutely wonderful.

Gem x
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Woodchester mystery help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
The Wiki entry for the mansion certainly mentions American and Canadian troops being billeted in the grounds, however it doesn't mention anything about the deaths you are querying.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline Madraykin

• RootsChat Member
  • GGG Grandfather Captain Robert Francis Hodgson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
I actually went on a ghost hunt there on Saturday night - American servicemen were definitely mentioned while I was there - I'll see if I can find anything for you!
Hodgson (Durham); Harwood (Lenches, Worcestershire); Henry (Carmarthenshire)<br /><br />All census info is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Madraykin

• RootsChat Member
  • GGG Grandfather Captain Robert Francis Hodgson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
I doubt that it would have been reported in the Times, being US servicemen and so far from London - a local Gloucestershire newspaper may help.

I can't find any 'definitive' answer - but this link may be interesting:

http://tortworth-court-hotel.four-pillars.co.uk/the-history-of-tortworth-court-_38/

I know this hotel very well, and it appears that Woodchester was once owned by the same person! Anyway, long after this it seems there were US servicemen stationed at Tortworth - which is just down the road - so there were definitely US servicemen in the area at the right time.

I'm not sure where else to go, other than the local news or any other house records, but of course they would only be available at the records office itself........

Sorry I couldn't be of more help - if you want I can get in touch with the people that I went there with over the weekend and see if they can substantiate their information?
Hodgson (Durham); Harwood (Lenches, Worcestershire); Henry (Carmarthenshire)<br /><br />All census info is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 22:03 BST (UK) »

I live in the beautiful village of Woodchester I will ask around to some of the elderly generation I know who have lived in the village all their lives. I can also visit our library to read up on local newspapers of that time if you wish.

Regards Helen.
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 August 10 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

Thanks for the info ... and sorry for such a late reply.

I have written to a relatave at The American Embassy ... hopefully he will pull a few strings and find out some info on the alleged deaths of any airmen.

Times newspaper has many deaths re allied troop deaths in 2nd WW ... so i was surprised that there was not even a glimmer of a mention !.

Gem x
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Another local camp:

https://www.stroudlocalhistorysociety.org.uk/research/lypiatt/

You mention "airmen". More likely to be Army perhaps?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)