Author Topic: Hartford/Burke/Guilfoyle - Abbeyleix  (Read 14890 times)

Offline kirm2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hartford/Burke/Guilfoyle - Abbeyleix
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help Shane.

The Family Search searchengine has shown that there was a Joseph Burke born to Joseph Burke and Catherine Guilfoyle on 26th May 1971.

Catherine is now Burke on both the 1901 and 1911 census' and there is no mention of Joseph in either - but I found a record of a death of Joseph Burke in Abbeyleix in 1874.  It appears they only had one child (Joseph born 1871).

I thought that I'd found their marriage on Family Search - the film and digital folder numbers match  - but I see from a point made above that its only the volume and page numbers that count.

Aaaarrrrrgh its soooooo confusing when you don't know what you are doing haha!!!!!

I guess its back to the drawing board...

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
based on the extracted record you located, these are the corresponding  details from the BMD index you will need if you want to order a cert from the GRO :

Name: Joseph Burke
 Registration District: Abbeyleix
 Event Type: Birth
 Year: 1871
 Volume : 8 / page : 441

(The 441 included in the birthplace on the extracted record indicates the page on the civil register)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kirm2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 June 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help yet again Shane.

I've now ordered birth certs for Joseph and Julia in order to progress as I just can't find any other Catherine Guilfoyle that matches Joseph Snr.

I've noticed too that on the 1911 census there is a 10 year old Mary Davison named in the same house as being a boarder - would you have any suggestions as to how I might find out who she was?  I've searched on the Family Search sites and I can't find anything.  On that census she is the only Davison listed for that county.  On the 1901 census there is only one other family listed with that surname.  Could they be related?

thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 June 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if Mary D. would be a relation ... she's described as a boarder in the 'relationship to head' column, and her place of birth is just ditto'd from the entries for the rest of the family.  Sometimes details like this can be inaccurate for non-family members, and in  this case the census form seems to have been filled in by the enumerator - Const. Ryan (since Catherine could not write).

I wonder is her true surname could be Davidson or even Davis ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kirm2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 June 10 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hmmmmmmmmmm I wonder...   I have the birth cert for one of Joseph and Julia's children, Christina, and there is a Mary Davin present at birth in the house - I wonder could this be her.

Anyhoooooooo, Julia's birth cert arrived this morning and her parents are John Hartford (Abbeyleix) and Margaret Power.

On the 1901 census there is only one John Hartford in Abbeyleix aged 50 with 4 children aged between 6 and 12 but there is no wife mentioned on the form.  There is no married Margaret Hartford listed on the census so I have no idea what age she would have been when she had Julia - do I presume she is dead at this point?  Also, Julia would have been 22 on this census and this current family is much younger - could he have re-married?  I cannot find any information on a relevant John Hartford on the Family Search - there is one  Margaret Power marriage in 1874 in Abbeyleix but it does not give the grooms name.

John Hartford is not on the 1911 census - so again, presumably dead?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 June 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

there is this marriage:
Abbelyleix 1876 vol 18 pg 291
Margaret Power

and the same reference for John Hartford

From the four deaths on Family Search, the only possibility for Margaret looks like 1885. (birth 1839).
There is a marriage for a John Hartford 1886 which may follow.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kirm2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 June 10 15:37 BST (UK) »
Wow - thank you ever so much Heywood.

I've found the records that you are looking at.  I saw that death for Margaret in 1885 but I dismissed it - as she would have been 62 in the 1901 census if she had been alive and John was 50 at that time - maybe its not so odd after all.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I might proceed from this point - sorry its the first time I've done anything like this and I'm a bit bamboozled!!

Thank you.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 June 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Well of course, those records may not apply.

I suppose you could try the death record for Margaret to see and of course the marriage record.
I got myself quite confused as there are records on there for James Hartford and Catherine Guilfoyle/Kilfoyle but then re-read the posts (also a William Hartford and Bridget Kilfoyle  :D)and a couple of Joh Hartfords.
Have you got the marriage cert of Julia and Joseph Burke to confirm her father's name and occupation- that should be the start really.
What is John's occupation on the birth certificate?

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kirm2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 June 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
No I don't have the marriage cert - I'll try again for that one.

It states John's occupation as Labourer on Julia's birth cert. 

I've found two death records for  Margaret Power  both in 1895 - one birth year is 1831 and the other is 1833. 

Judging from the children's ages on the 1901 census that would mean that William Hartford (the last child) was born in 1895 when Margaret was 62/64!!  Unlikely I think  ;).