Author Topic: Atkins - Rathdrum  (Read 7333 times)

Offline wicklow way

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Atkins - Rathdrum
« on: Thursday 24 June 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've come up against a brick wall with regard to my great, great grandmother Isabella Connor. The details i have on her are as follows:

Born: Isabella Atkins ?/?/1871 approx, according to 1911 census and her headstone inscription.
She aged 20, married William Connor aged 45 on june 26th 1891.
Her parents were David Atkins and Stephanie Coffey, Rathdrum
His parents were Jacobus ( James) Connor and Rosanne Whitmore, Altidore.
This information i received as a general enquiry from the parish office of kilquade.
However, i have been unable to find out her birth details or indeed any information regarding her parents and if they are from the rathdrum area.
If anyone could steer me in the right direction or shed any light i would be extremely greatful       

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Atkins - Rathdrum
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 June 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
There's a fairly close match for her birth on the extracted births on familysearch, although the names dont quite match up...

Name: Isabella Atkinson
 Birth Date: 09 Apr 1873
 Birthplace: Rathdrum, Wicklow, Ireland
 Father's Name: David Atkinson
 Mother's Name: Maria Caffrey
 Reference Number: v 7-2 p 1049

(the reference numbers can  be used to search for a birth cert.)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 June 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
There's a good match for the marriage on the Civil BMD Index under the name Atkinson :

Name: William Connor
 Registration District: Rathdrum
 Event Type: Marriage
 Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1891
 Volume : 2 / page : 857

[same index details]

the full index details for the possible birth of Isabella :

Registration District: Rathdrum
 Event Type: Birth
 Registration Quarter and Year: 1873
 Volume : 7 / page : 1049

see : Introduction to Irish Records for details on the searching the index, ordering cert etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wicklow way

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 June 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, shanew147, i cant believe i got such a quick response, thank you so much. This is my first time posting and i've been searching for information regarding Isabella since January last.
It would seen that you have indeed found the correct information on Isabella. My great grandmothers name was Maria so the parish info must have been wrong. Maria Caffery is a world away from Stephanie Coffey when searching, I'd never have found them!Births certs which i have found regarding some of my great grandmothers siblings would have Isabella Atkins rather than Atkinson. Would you use the latter now?
What does the ref. number mean and how can i use them?   
Thank you once again for this infromation, i really appreciate it

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 June 10 16:23 BST (UK) »
If you have a look at the introduction topic there are details on how to order certs from the GRO using the references.

Except for the mother's first name I dont think the details are that far different ... I think Coffey and Caffrey, Aktins and Atkinson could easily be mis-heard or mis-transcribed..

Certain surnames also varied over the years , so it's also possible that the family were originally Atkinson, but later know as Atkins - or vice versa.  Another possibility is that they did not read or write very well (or at all) and so depended on the priest  or registrars interpretation.

The Civil marriage index cross match above is not 100% guaranteed - but it looks very probable based on the parish details you already have, and I think the marriage cert would help confirm things.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline wicklow way

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 June 10 16:31 BST (UK) »
 I've just checked on the ifhf site and there it is in all its glory Isabella Atkinson 1873. I tried all variations i could think of over the last few months but to no avail. Thank you so much for this info and I'll go through all your other advice and follow through !!! :)