Author Topic: KIA Medals  (Read 3504 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KIA Medals
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 August 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

I think you need to contact either the museum or put a post on the Great War Forum for an expert view. His CWGC entry gives his battalion as the 9th, but that is 'new army' and his 6-digit number clearly shows he was in a territorial battalion. Both the CWGC and the National Archive medal card site agree that his final number was 200469, and that was in a block issued to the 4th Battalion in early 1917. Specifically he was the 469th most senior member of the 4th Battalion when they renumbered. This fits in with the other number (2754) on his medal card and suggests he was a pre-war territorial.

http://www.1914-1918.net/blackwatch.htm

It is likely that the entry on the CWGC is wrong and there are people on the Great War Forum who can advise you how to get the entry changed. It is such a glaring error that the CWGC may change it without too much evidence on your part. They may however ask to see a copy of the original medal rolls which are held in Kew.

Looking at the above link it seems the 9th Battalion weren’t even a fighting battalion at the time of his death.

Ken

Offline lochee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 August 10 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ken
Thanks for that (I think). History of 15th (Scottish) Division shows 9th Bn BW as 44th Brigade up to Feb 1918 then 46 Brigade Feb -May 1918 then reduced to cadre.
Is it his number that is causing the confusion? Could he have been 4th Bn BW and CWGC have transcribed it wrongly?  I will contact the museum on monday to see what can be sorted out.
Till then many thanks. I'll let you know how I get on.
Bob.
Maggs of amesbury or figheldean
Fisken of Dundee & Perth
Law of Dundee

Offline lochee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Response from Archivist at Black Watch Museum saying "200459 was one of the block issued to the 4th Bn. late 1915/early 1916. Obviously George was transferred to the 9th (Service) Battalion."
They confirm that he died in the Battle of Pilkem Ridge. Finding out when he joined the 9th Bn. may be difficult. They then advise that the history of the Battalion has been written up, and quote title etc.
  A trip to the library to use Ance***y proved a waste of time. I tried British Army WW1 Service Records and WW1 Medal Roll Index Cards. The only response I got was 'No result for your search' I tried every combination using both christian names, one christian name, each of his Army Numbers, initials one and two, and in the end gave up and went home. Looks like I'll have to get a copy of the aforementioned book then try again, if I can think of another way to go forward.(or do I mean backwards!!)
Bob.
Fisken of Dundee & Perth
Law of Dundee

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 August 10 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

I am suprised the archivist at the museum doesn't know that the TF were renumbered in 1917 - http://www.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_infantry.htm

Someone with Soldiers Died Great War should be able to tell you the battalion of the other men killed the same day.

As I have said I think you need to post a question on the Great War Forum.

Ken

Offline lochee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 September 10 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ken
I am waiting for a reply from Black Watch archives.
Tried the Great War Forum, what a farce! It took almost 3 hours to receive an acceptance email,
then it would not let me add a post. Same evening tried again, in the intervening time I received 17 emails telling me of other peoples latest post. Tried 3 times to add a post and each time all I got was
OOPs this link appears broken. DNS error server cannot be found. Gave up. Next day having received another 11 emails of other peoples latest posts, I tried again. 3 attempts later same result as day before OOPS etc. Decided to unsubscribe, but you cannot, so sent email to administrator requesting removal of all my details from the site. 3 weeks later and still waiting for reply.
Tearing my (whats left ) hair out, but will wait to see what BW archives come up with.
Bob.
Fisken of Dundee & Perth
Law of Dundee

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 September 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob,

The GWF has been having a few teething problems recently, due to an enforced software upgrade with their hosting company.

I've only just picked up on this thread, but have now run a few searches through SDGW.

SDGW confirms that your man was with 9th Service Battalion when he was killed.

There are 46 casualties for 31/07/17, of which 12 have 6 digit Territorial service numbers: 2 from 4th, 1 from 5th and 7th Bn and 8 from 6th Bn.

Phil

Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lochee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 20:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Phil,
Sorry if I appear a bit thick, but of the 12 with Territorial service numbers, none are of the 9th Bn.
Would he have still been 4th Bn. but on attachment to the 9th? If so should not his memorial inscription show as 4th Bn.?
Once again many thanks for your help. I'll give it a few days then have another go at the GWF
Bob
Fisken of Dundee & Perth
Law of Dundee

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Bob,

The search was on 9th Battalion, so technically that is what they were. I've checked a couple of the others on CWGC and they are 9th as well.
If CWGC and SDGW agree then I would 99.9% take it as read.

If they were on attachment, I would also expect CWGC to have secondary unit details. Therefore it would appear that they had been posted to the 9th, possibly on returning to active service following sickness or wounds.

GWF seems to have settled down now, by the way.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lochee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 September 10 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, Phil
Thanks for that, it's becoming clearer now. Waiting to see what Black Watch archives come up with re his pre war territorial service. I'll give GWF another go soon.
Thanks again,
Bob.
Fisken of Dundee & Perth
Law of Dundee