Author Topic: JENKINSON  (Read 6917 times)

Offline suemoo2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JENKINSON
« on: Friday 25 June 10 06:45 BST (UK) »
G'day,
I'm from Sydney Australia and I'm looking for information on the life before transportation of MARGARET JENKINSON.

Margaret was born 1807  -  On the National Archives of Ireland website, Transportation of Convicts to Australia, name search results = 1 Only entry for Margaret Jenkinson, Trial date shown as June 1837 and her age being 26 = DOB 1811, BUT on ships indent for "Sir Charles Forbes" her age is shown as 30 = DOB 1807.                                         
Margaret Jenkinson was transported to Australia on the ship "Sir Charles Forbes (4)" (ie: on her 4th voyage as a convict ship) which sailed from Dublin, Ireland on 8 August 1837 and arrived in Sydney on 25 December 1837.  At sea for 136 days.  150 women boarded and 147 arrived in Sydney. 
Master was Jas. Leslie and Surgeon was Wm. Clifford. 
Was listed as 'married' on transport indent.  Maiden name and birthplace 'unknown'.
She was convicted of Larceny (stealing potatoes), property of "Ballymoat" Glenealy, County Wicklow, Ireland.
Place of Trial:  Co. Wicklow   Sentence:    Transportation  7 Years. 

What family did she leave behind?
Where can I obtain information about a previous marriage?
Where can I obtain copies of her Trial records?
Where did she live prior to being arrested?
Any information about this woman at all, would be gratefully received.

Regards,
Sue Milson.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: JENKINSON
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 June 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
Ballymoat[e] is a small townland of about 180 acres located a very short distance to the north of the village of Glenealy, which is about 10km west of Wicklow town.

See the 1st edition (1820s/40s) OSI Map for details : Glenealy & Ballymoat

(click on historic or historic bw to see the older maps) Gleanealy is to the bottom left of this view, and the townland of Ballymoat towards the top right.

To find husband, family etc you would have to research parish records for the area to see what is available. Do you know what religion she was ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline suemoo2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 June 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
From details on her death certificate she was supposed to have been buried in the Roman Catholic section of Rookwood Cemetery in Sydney but .....

NB:  20 April 2009 - I contacted Rookwood Cemetery Catholic Office for details on where Margaret Newberry (nee Jenkinson) was buried - where could I find her grave if I were to go to the cemetery?  They requested a copy of her death certificate, which I sent, and this is their reply:
"I have searched all the old record books (3 record books for each burial) and there is no interment for Margaret Newberry in the Catholic Cemetery at Rookwood.  I contacted the other denominations, that is Anglican and Independent and they have advised that they had no interment.
Unfortunately, in the early years, the funeral directors filled out the papers prior to the service and the cemetery would be changed but not the paperwork.  I phoned Waverley Cemetery as it happened quite a lot between Waverley and Rookwood but they advised no interment for Margaret.
I really cannot help other than what I have already done.  You may like to try other cemeteries.  Or maybe they had a burial ground in Newington Asylum."

As you can appreciate, Newington Asylum has been gone for donkeys years and any records of the time would be long gone.  I have found over time that bodies of deceased at times, just went missing without a trace.  ??

I'm guessing she was of Catholic religion.

Cheers,
Sue.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 June 10 14:32 BST (UK) »
Ballymoat & Glenealy are in the RC parish of Wicklow (town), and records are available from about 1747 for baptisms and marriages - see  : Wicklow RC Parish (Irish Times)

Some parish records for County Wicklow, including the parish of Wicklow, are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie but they only have baptisms at the moment. A search of their index for the full county does include some Jenkinson and Jenkins results.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline suemoo2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 June 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Thanks so much for the information.  I will go and check these sites out.

I often wonder if she left any family behind and if I would have distant cousins or the like living today in Ireland.  The mind boggles!

Regards,
Sue.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 June 10 14:57 BST (UK) »
There are a few Jenkinson / Jenkins households listed in the county on the 1901 census that could possibly be connected - see Jenkinson/Jenkins Wicklow - 1901 They seem to be a mix of Church of Ireland and Catholic.

A couple of the families listed would not be very far from Glenealy and Ballymoat - Dunganstown East (c 8km), Derrybawn (c 18km), and Wicklow town (c 9km)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline suemoo2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 June 10 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there Shane,

Thank you so much for the information.

Cheers,
Sue.

Offline Syl Farrell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 20 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi my mom's name is jenkinson. Her great great grand Gran parents came from Knockrath.  This is about 15km from glenealy. They were RC from about 1700. There are a lot of descendants in Dublin.
Sylvester.