Author Topic: Missing Relatives in "Glasgow"??  (Read 1439 times)

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Missing Relatives in "Glasgow"??
« on: Tuesday 29 March 05 19:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate some "missing" relatives!

My Gx3 Grandmother was Harriett Gunter (born Harriett Harris in Carmarthen c1827 - though she was very economical with the truth about her age on the Welsh census - birth year could be anything up to 1834!).

In the 1891 census she is recorded as a widow living at 105 Gelly Road, Ystradyfodwg, Glamorgan with her married daughter Elizabeth Phillips (B. c1852, Aberdare GLAM), husband Thomas Phillips (B.1857 - Miner) and grandchildren Harriett (B. c1882), Annie (B. c1887). Also resident was Harriett's youngest surviving son Thomas Gunter (B. 1867, Aberdare, Glam - Driver/Miner).

I have been unable to find either Harriett or Thomas Gunter on the 1901 census and assumed that they were probably deceased (very short lived family!). With that in mind I searched to find suitable death registrations for both with no joy. The records I have found don't "match" location or age  ???

Visited my Great Aunt last week and she told me that "Aunty Lizzie and her family lived in Glasgow" - apparently they moved from Aberdare to Glasgow in the 1890's? I'm wondering if the family unit (as recorded in 1891 Welsh Census) moved en-masse to Glasgow?

In a rather long winded way I suppose I'm asking if a similar family can be found on the Census for Scotland in 1901 OR if there are any deaths registered for a Harriett or Thomas Gunter anytime after 1891 in the Glasgow area?

Apologies - working a bit in the dark here as I do not know if this info is readily available. If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alisonplenderleith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Relatives in "Glasgow"??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you log on to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you will be able to search the 1901 census and search for deaths up to 1954. It is a pay site site but not expensive.

All the best with your searching,

Alison

Offline Roecoyle

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Maggie Milne(ms McKay)1883-1964
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi , sorry no death records for Thomas or Harriet after 1891
also not on any scottish census either.  The only Gunther in Scotland
that i can find are Francise male 31(Clackmannan)
                            Hermit    male 35(Midlothian)
                             Rosa   female 30 (Midlothian)on the1901 cencus.

Aberdeenshire, Caithness, New Pitsligo Areas.
McKay, MacKay
Riach
Wilson
Falconer
Gibb
McLeod
Glennie
Hanton
Milne..
Glasgow,West lothian,Airdrie.
Edwards
Pitt
Duncan
Campbell
Milne
McKay.
England. London.
Deddyhn, McKay.
USA. New York.
Milne
Israel
Diddyhm ?
Deddyhn
McKay.

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help - back to the drawing board I think!
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk