Author Topic: COMPLETED Leverington PR/Baptism Index Lookup - SCRIMSHAW  (Read 5459 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Leverington PR/Baptism Index Lookup - SCRIMSHAW
« on: Saturday 26 June 10 15:09 BST (UK) »
Harriet Scrimshaw was born in Leverington c1836/8, but doesn't appear on the online Cambs Baptism Index 1801-37. If anyone has the transcription, or Cambs Baptism Index I'd be very grateful for a look up for Harriet - she's not the one baptised in Newton in 1833 - who may have been illegitimate. She had a possible younger brother William who was 3 in 1841 - can he be found in the Index please?

Many thanks in advance

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Leverington PR/Baptism Index Lookup - SCRIMSHAW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can't see a match for either of them in the Cambs. Bapt. Index.

Selina

Offline teaurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A lovely cup of tea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 July 10 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Bedfordshire boy,

It is listed on the Cambs Bapt index under the name Harriet Schrimshaw in 1836 in Leverington

There is also a John Woolsey Schrimshaw in 1836.
Middlesex   Burnett  Clark   Potter    Cleary    Avery    Moore Howard Jode Keating
Norfolk    Rudd    Twite    Hudson    Chapman Moore Spink Adams
Suffolk    Horne    Cadge    Sutton    King    Adams
Essex    Cable    Wright                         Cumberland  Forbes
Somerset Clarke (pre 1800)                  Cambridgeshire Muncey Parcell
Devon  Flashman                                   Limerick    Hannigan

Offline teaurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A lovely cup of tea
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 July 10 01:13 BST (UK) »
Cant find William under any spelling the nearest in Leverington is in 1855 :-\
Middlesex   Burnett  Clark   Potter    Cleary    Avery    Moore Howard Jode Keating
Norfolk    Rudd    Twite    Hudson    Chapman Moore Spink Adams
Suffolk    Horne    Cadge    Sutton    King    Adams
Essex    Cable    Wright                         Cumberland  Forbes
Somerset Clarke (pre 1800)                  Cambridgeshire Muncey Parcell
Devon  Flashman                                   Limerick    Hannigan

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 July 10 07:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much teaurn.  Wonder why William wasn't done and who John Woolsey was!

David

Offline lizdc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Young Aussie genealogist. Love it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, here is some info in regards to Harriet:

Harriet Sc(h)rimshaw is the first child of Ann Scrimshaw b. 1816. Illegitimate. Ann then had another illegitimate child in 1847, Jonathan William Scrimshaw aka William Reed (my 2x great grandfather).

Ann married Cornelius Cooke Reed in 1850 in Leverington. He was a widower with 5 daughters. Ann and Cornelius had Fanny Elizabeth Reed in 1851 but she died at sea in 1852 en route to Australia.

Harriet and Jonathan William both went to Australia as well, listed on the shipping records as Harriet Reed and William Reed.

Ann and Cornelius settled in Portland, Victoria, Australia and had 2 more children;
Fanny Elizabeth Reed b. 1854
Cornelius Cooke Reed b. 1857

Harriet went on to New Zealand and married Charles Lorraine Phelps in Auckland in 1863. They had a daughter, Bessie, and then moved on to the USA where they had a son, Eddie. Harriet died in California in 1898.

Will post another message to follow.

Regards,
Liz.
SCRIMSHAW, MARCHBANKS, AMORY, MORIN.

Offline lizdc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Young Aussie genealogist. Love it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Somewhat separate to this is John W. Sc(h)rimshaw and William Scrimshaw.

I believe they are the illegitimate sons of an Elizabeth Scrimshaw. While I cannot find any record of her birth or baptism, I think she was Ann's older sister.

How I came to this conclusion:

There was a child called William Scrimshaw (William Wolsey Scrimshaw on his marriage certificate). From 1851 he is living with George and Charlotte Scrimshaw in Clenchwarton, Norfolk and he is stated as being their NEPHEW. He is also with them in 1861 (as nephew) - by 1871 he has married.

Now, George Scrimshaw had many siblings and I have the children of all of them. There is no William Scrimshaw that would match being George Scrimshaw's nephew. George and Charlotte had no children of their own.

It leads me to believe there is a missing sibling (of George's).

George Scrimshaw's parents were William Scrimshaw and Mary Marhbanks and they were married 9 Mar 1812 in Leverington, Cambs. They had the following children:

Robert b. 1814

Ann b. 1816

George b. 1817

Martha b. 1818

Harriet b. 1820

Frances b. 1822

Susanna b. 1825/6

Sarah Jane b. 1828

Rebecca b. 1830

Mary Maria b. 1831

Was there another child BEFORE Robert? They were married in March 1812, yet Robert wasn't born until the end of 1814 which leaves 2.5 years with no children. And Mary was very fertile, having 10 children, all fairly close together in age. Therefore, it is possible that they had a child in 1812 or 1813. There is no basptism recorded for such a child at Leverington which seems odd as all 14 of William's other children were baptised at St Leonard's (William had 4 children in a previous marriage). However, it could be possible that the baptism is elsewhere? There is no such baptism on the cfhs.org.uk index for Cambridgeshire so perhaps it was missed or occured in Lincolnshire or Norfolk.

There are 2 children substantiating this theory. One is John W. (Wolsey) Sc(h)rimshaw who was baptised in 1836, the illegitimate son of Elizabeth. Fitten End, Leverington. There is one Elizabeth Scrimshaw who didn't marry until 1839 BUT this Elizabeth IS married by 1841 whereas there is still an unaccounted for Elizabeth Scrimshaw in the 1841 census.

There is then William Wolsey Scrimshaw (from above) born in 1838 (see the BMD records) who went on to state his parents were John and Elizabeth (on his marriage certificate).

1841 Census
Leverington

Elizh Scrimshaw 20 School mistress Y

Sarah Jane Scrimshaw 12 Y

Harriet Scrimshaw 4 Y

William Scrimshaw 3 Y

Sarah Jane is the child of William & Mary as listed above. Harriet is the illegitimate child of Ann as mentioned in the previous post. And I think this is the William I have mentioned before. The other child, John, is in the house of William Scrimshaw and Mary (nee Marchbanks). WITH HIS GRANDPARENTS? The only odd thing is Elizabeth being a school mistress. An unmarried woman with two illegitimate children? It seems unlikely but perhaps it's a mistake.

An Elizabeth Scrimshaw died 14th Nov 1846 at Leverington aged 33 of Typhoid Fever. She was a dress maker - surely a married woman would not have had an occupation. The informant was Robert Scrimshaw, probably her brother, in attendence, Leverington. (Would make her birth year 1813).

John Wolsey Scrimshaw died in 1848 aged 12. So that links him back to the baptism of a John W. Scrimshaw being born illegitimately to Elizabeth in 1836. Surely it is one and the same!

William Wolsey Scrimshaw, in 1851, is with George & Charlotte Scrimshaw and he is recorded as being their NEPHEW. Therefore, it can be assumed that he is the child of one of George's siblings. However, he does not fit in with being any of these siblings which is why this begs the question of there being a missing sibling.

Yes, it could be that William's parents were a John Scrimshaw and an Elizabeth Wolsey but this just doesn't seem AS likely as the other possibility. It does not explain where this random Elizabeth Scrimshaw COMES FROM who has an illegitimate child or two. I have also fairly comprehensively researched all the Scrimshaws in the Leverington area and can link them all together yet there is no Elizabeth Scrimshaw anywhere that could tie to this one.

Thus, I believe that Elizabeth Scrimshaw is the first child of William Scrimshaw and Mary Marchbanks born in 1812 or 1813. Also, William's mother's name was Elizabeth.

Sorry this is so long. I hope you've been able to follow it. If you need any other information or have any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Liz.
SCRIMSHAW, MARCHBANKS, AMORY, MORIN.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 11 15:36 BST (UK) »
WOW! Thanks very much for this wealth of information, Liz, which will help Scrimshaw researchers everywhere.

I'm still going through it all.

Thanks again

David

Offline dolphinecosse

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 July 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
I know that the following post was posted about 9 years ago and it may be that all those looking and helping at that time will have forgotten it or maybe are no longer on this site. My name is Richard Scrimshaw and the William mentioned here is my great grandfather and for years I have tried to find out who his parents actually were. His marriage certificate says he was William Wolsey Scrimshaw, and I asked my father before he died if he knew where the Wolsey bit came in as it is not in his Family Bible but he had not heard of it, which I have nor on his head stone or death certificate and is not mentioned when he wrote his will which I have. The only time he mentions it is on his marriage certificate, when they marry by licence in Deptford. (Another puzzle why by licence and in Deptford when they are from Cambridgeshire and Norfolk respectively. Sounds to me as though they may be ran away to get married, maybe because one or both sets of parents did not approve or maybe she was pregnant. Going back to the Wolsey part, there is the coincidence of the John Wolsey Scrimshaw that died aged 12 also with a mother named Elizabeth. Could she be the mother of both children I think so, and as they seem to name the first child after the father that would fit with the John on his marriage certificate. But does it mean that her maiden name was Wolsey or that their fathers name was John Wolsey and not Scrimshaw, and the name on the marriage certificate only half right as he was covering up his illegitimacy.I am I think more or less convinced that given the connection of William and his uncle George, that William's grandparents are William and Mary. I have now after a break of about 10 years started to renew my research so if anyone out there can help I would be most grateful, and if there is anyone else out there who has or is researching the same group of people as me for whatever reason please contact me through this site

There was a child called William Scrimshaw (William Wolsey Scrimshaw on his marriage certificate). From 1851 he is living with George and Charlotte Scrimshaw in Clenchwarton, Norfolk and he is stated as being their NEPHEW. He is also with them in 1861 (as nephew) - by 1871 he has married.

George Scrimshaw's parents were William Scrimshaw and Mary Marhbanks and they were married 9 Mar 1812 in Leverington, Cambs. They had the following children:

Robert b. 1814

Ann b. 1816

George b. 1817

Martha b. 1818

Harriet b. 1820

Frances b. 1822

Susanna b. 1825/6

Sarah Jane b. 1828

Rebecca b. 1830

Mary Maria b. 1831

Was there another child BEFORE Robert? They were married in March 1812, yet Robert wasn't born until the end of 1814 which leaves 2.5 years with no children. And Mary was very fertile, having 10 children, all fairly close together in age. Therefore, it is possible that they had a child in 1812 or 1813. There is no basptism recorded for such a child at Leverington which seems odd as all 14 of William's other children were baptised at St Leonard's (William had 4 children in a previous marriage). However, it could

There are 2 children substantiating this theory. One is John W. (Wolsey) Sc(h)rimshaw who was baptised in 1836, the illegitimate son of Elizabeth. Fitten End, Leverington. There is one Elizabeth Scrimshaw who didn't marry until 1839 BUT this Elizabeth IS married by 1841 whereas there is still an unaccounted for Elizabeth Scrimshaw in the 1841 census.

There is then William Wolsey Scrimshaw (from above) born in 1838 (see the BMD records) who went on to state his parents were John and Elizabeth (on his marriage certificate).

Sarah Jane is the child of William & Mary as listed above. Harriet is the illegitimate child of Ann as mentioned in the previous post. And I think this is the William. The other child, John, is in the house of William Scrimshaw and Mary (nee Marchbanks). WITH HIS GRANDPARENTS? The only odd thing is Elizabeth being a school mistress. An unmarried woman with two illegitimate children? It seems unlikely but perhaps it's a mistake.

An Elizabeth Scrimshaw died 14th Nov 1846 at Leverington aged 33 of Typhoid Fever. She was a dress maker - surely a married woman would not have had an occupation. The informant was Robert Scrimshaw, probably her brother, in attendence, Leverington. (Would make her birth year 1813).

John Wolsey Scrimshaw died in 1848 aged 12. So that links him back to the baptism of a John W. Scrimshaw being born illegitimately to Elizabeth in 1836. Surely it is one and the same!

William Wolsey Scrimshaw, in 1851, is with George & Charlotte Scrimshaw and he is recorded as being their NEPHEW. Therefore, it can be assumed that he is the child of one of George's siblings. Yes, it could be that William's parents were a John Scrimshaw and an Elizabeth Wolsey but this just doesn't seem AS likely as the other possibility. It does not explain where this random Elizabeth Scrimshaw COMES FROM who has an illegitimate child or two.

Thus, I believe that Elizabeth Scrimshaw is the first child of William Scrimshaw and Mary Marchbanks born in 1812 or 1813. Also, William's mother's name was Elizabeth.

Sorry this is so long. I hope you've been able to follow it. If you need any other information or have any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Liz.