Author Topic: Findmypast this Friday  (Read 20976 times)

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Findmypast this Friday
« Reply #207 on: Monday 28 June 10 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you JustKia, you learn something new on here every day :D
Luckily I was searching for fairly unusual names, so didn't get swamped with search results, but knowing this will make life easier if I use FindMyPast again.

Betty

I've found that if I search using two forenames, ie Charles Albert, no results are returned, but if I search for Charles, the search results include Charles Albert. ???
That's because if you are using the basic search it only gives you a box for the first name. When you put the second name in the same box it looks for it as one name and thus doesn't find it.
When you search only Charles, it will display Charles Albert as well because the middle names are displayed.
Think of the first and middle names as two separate things - just like the first and last are totally separate.
Click on the advanced tab and you will see it has a separate box for first and middle names.
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline dbath

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for notifying everyone.  While I saw the advertisement in a different area, I hope everyone gained from it.  I found the military records for a "brick wall" ancestor and have now been able to push back four generations on one side (with special thanks to diddymiller and suffolk*sue on this site whose help was invaluable).
David
BATH - Stithians, Cornwall; HOLMAN, Gwennap, Cornwall; KNOWLES - Cornwall, Devon; REED - Cornwall; CLEGG - Oldham, Lancashire; OGDEN - Oldham, Lancashire; JAMES - Suffolk; REID/REED/READ - Hadleigh, Suffolk; SANDS - Stratford St Mary, Suffolk; TUCKER - Gravesend, Kent;

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for notifying everyone.  While I saw the advertisement in a different area, I hope everyone gained from it.  I found the military records for a "brick wall" ancestor and have now been able to push back four generations on one side (with special thanks to diddymiller and suffolk*sue on this site whose help was invaluable).
David

I found some military records too!  2 of my gt grandfathers and also my gt grandmother's brother.  That one was a shock...he was sent to India at the age of 16 and almost immediately contracted syphilis!!  It was mentioned on his medical records for two years.  I expect he is turning in his grave right now!!  LOL!!
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 00:40 BST (UK) »
Don't make the same mistake I did, and use the separate 1911 site (1911census.co.uk - operated by findmypast):  you will be charged, even though credits purchased through findmypast are applicable to both sites.  World Cup free access to the 1911 Census is only available directly though the findmypast site.  Having said that, the nice people at findmypast did re-credit my account as a good will gesture.
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk