Author Topic: Adoption circa 1880 COMPLETED  (Read 15193 times)

Offline clarabel123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption circa 1880 COMPLETED
« on: Saturday 26 June 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Was there a procedure to adopt a child around this time or could care just be given to another family?
Should I look somewhere for any official records or paperwork?
From details below it seems plausible she is the right person as the connections with Leics and Northants fit with other family backgrounds, I am finding it so interesting and I really want to find out why the mother would have kept her son born 1880 out of wedlock and yet adopted the daughter born 1883 as she then went on to have other children 1884 onwards with someone else.

I have a daughter first appearing with her mother age 26 on 1911 census listed as 'daughter'. This would make her born around 1885 per the census age.

Further research shows a registered birth in 1883 Leicester as Kate Mellars Salisbury.

1891 age 8 living with the Barnet family in St James St, Leicester as 'adopted' Kate Salusbury.

1901 age 18 in Northants as Kate M Salisbury as a Boarder, occupation machinist.

1911 age 26 in Leicester with her mother (I assume) Anne Nunn (nee Salisbury)

1974 died as Kate Mellors Salisbury, Leicester.
Salisbury, Nunn

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption circa 1880
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 June 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Official adoption didnt take place until 1926 and records of adoptions are kept from 1st January 1927. before then it was usually just an informal affair such as a private arrangement. Occasionally they may have gone through a solicitor but usually you didn't have to go through any formal procedure for adoption.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 June 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
It is odd as the 'family' she are with in 1891 consists of Eliz Barnett aged 75, living on her own means,  her unmarried daughter Mary aged 37 a seamstress,  a visitor Rebecca E Barnett aged 49 (perhaps a niece?) and Kate Salusbury aged 8.

I haven't been able to find Elizabeth and Mary on the 1881 census yet. Rebecca is housekeeper to her uncle and cousin both with the wonderful  name of Bellars Butter living in Caldicott Rutland. Could they be cousins? Another reason for someone adopting a child in the 1880s was that they were related, even quite distantly.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 June 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
My grandfather and his first wife were apparently unable to have children, his great neice had an illegitimate son in 1863,he had been given his father's surname as a third forename, and they subsequently married and had further children. What i find unusual about the situation is that though his parents had married the son continued to be brought up by my grandfather and his wife, being shown as their nephew in 1871, and as their son in 1881, and as his parents on his marriage certificate. At the same time they also had a string of nurse children on the 1881 and 1891 censuses, with different surnames, I know of no relationship though my father once told me he was related to a man at his place of work who had the surname of one of the nurse children. I have yet to thoroughly research this.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
These "adoptions"  were very common.   Just look at how many couples have all grown up children then suddenly in their 50's they have a new baby.  Yes, I know that some women would have had the menopause baby, but not that many.  Many women would have long gone through the menopause at this time, if they had ever had regular periods, due to ill health and bad diets.

I have a girl in my family (who I have never been able to tie down) in one census she is listed as Granddaughter, living with my g/g/grandmother and another of her daughters.  On the next this girl is now the niece of another daughter and still with her grandmother.  Sadly as her name is so common I have never found out what happened to her.

And this is just one of several instances of children suddenly appearing as son/daughter long after all the other children had left and had families of their own.

At the time you are talking about (and probably right up to WW2) if a family got into trouble or a spouse died and the person left was unable to cope, rather than sending family off the the workhouse, the extended family and neighbours would often take the children in, thus spreading the children around the  neighbourhood, retaining the ties to the area and not losing contact with parent/siblings.  No social services in those days to whip them all off.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline clarabel123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks all  for the help and explanations - very interesting and useful.
Salisbury, Nunn

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption circa 1880 COMPLETED
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 July 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
In my experience there is certainly a definite relationship between the incidence of late babies, and unmarried daughters in the house.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline rackingmybrain

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 April 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
 ???  I think my g-grandfather adopted his nephew from a Catholic orphanage; since he was an immigrant would he have to be naturalized before adoption?  This was in mid 1880's.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 April 11 19:39 BST (UK) »
As there was no formal adoption procedure before 1929, and specially if the adoptee was a small child I would believe naturalization was not required, but no doubt an expert will clarify.