Author Topic: William Workman after 1929  (Read 13739 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William Workman after 1929
« on: Sunday 27 June 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
Am trying to find a relative who might have gone to Canada (according to grand-daughter) and after finding what I thought was the right person in a list of passengers leaving to U.K., I have now found a corresponding entry in Canadian records which points to the passenger being another William Workman. Unfortunately they have the same middle initial and are around the same age.

1- William Ross Workman
born 12 Jan.1876 Co.Derry, son of Matthew & Bessie (Arthur) Workman
1901 Census- at Tildarg, Co. Antrim
1911 Census- again at Tildarg-boarder William Ross Workman, 34, tea merchant, single, Co.Derry. Also listed in Dublin (although I can't find in online census)- travelling salesman.
last trace of him in Ireland is from records of Terrace Row Presbyterian Church pew list (note left Feb.1929?).

Passenger record: "Antonia" left Belfast 7 June 1929 for uebec, Canada
William Workman, 49, traveller, Meetinghouse Place Coleraine, country of intended perm. residence- Canada [family lived at Meetinghouse Place from around 1925 until at least 1931]

However, Canadian records have: "Antonia" arrived Quebec 16 June 1929, William Rich. Workman, age 47, Irish.

There was also a William Richard Workman-
born 5 May 1879, son of Andrew Workman and Rachel Cunningham
m.1 m.(31 Oct.1917 Co.Donegal) Jennie Colhoun Rutherford
?m.2 (1924 Co.Derry) Elizabeth Irwin Henry.
Lived Bushmills, Co. Antrim for a while.
Last record of him- William R. Workman, Main St., Bushmills, miller and seed merchant, adjudged bankrupt 27 Oct.1928.

The U.K. passenger record seems to be William Ross Workman but the Canadian record seems to be William Richard Workman. Both men seem to disappear under a cloud (W. Ross Workman had an illegitimate daughter born c1919 and W.Richard Workman had business difficulties).

Can anyone find either of these men in Canada after 1929?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Workman after 1929
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 June 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
Have you actually seen the original passenger list as LAC has both men listed on the Antonia and so does Ancestor's On Board at Find My Past.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/immigraton-1925/001012-100.01-e.php

Workman, William Rich
age 47, male, Irish
1929/06/16 Quebec Antonia cunard
Ref. RG76-IMMIGRATION Series C-1-a, 1929 volume 10 Page 194 Microfilm roll T14754

Workman, William R
age 49, male, Irish
1929/06/16 Quebec Antonia Cunard
same reference info as above

Perhaps both men were on the same ship.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
I put in William Workman 1929 and again both showed up.
William Workman b1880, Dep 1929 Belfast to Quebec
William R. Workman b 1882 Dep 1929 Belfast to Quebec

I don't have a subscription to the above but someone else may.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 June 10 16:58 BST (UK) »
I did not see either men on the BC Archives:
http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-29398CD/search

However, there is a William Ross Workman buried in Victoria, British Columbia:
http://www.islandnet.com/bccfa/search.php

From the few BCCFA entries I've seen, most burial records are pre-1930.  Others may have different opinions.  :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 June 10 17:15 BST (UK) »
Lisa- I can't find a William Ross Workman on BC deaths website which should go up to 1987 (?)
http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-B02374/gbsearch/Deaths

Valerie- the passenger details are very interesting but when I searched for William Workman on Antonia 1929 only William Rich. Workman came up. When I searched for William Workman in U.K. lists only the one from Meetinghouse Place came up.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 June 10 17:17 BST (UK) »
http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-D9F994/gbsearch/Deaths

William Workman
1961-9-7 Surrey BC, age 79

Reg# 1961-09-010752
Microfilm B13253 (GSU#2033374)

Age is right so may be worth a look.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 June 10 17:23 BST (UK) »
Surrey Public Library has an "Ask a Librarian" section

http://www.spl.surrey.bc.ca/default.htm

www.canada.ca

has surname Workman in both Surrey and Victoria

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 June 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the additional information, Valerie.
I checked for that William Workman in 1911 & 1901 census, etc. and found the following-

William Workman, physician
born 4 May 1882 Ontario, son of William & Jane (Clark) Workman
died 7 Sept.1961 B.C.
married 5 Dec,1906 B.C. to Lorne Ross (1876-1970). Children: Helen Claudia (1908-1959) and William Ross (b.1907 mother's maiden name was Ross)

So, unfortunately not one of the 2 from Ireland

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 June 10 20:05 BST (UK) »
The actual details on the passenger list for the Antonia departing Belfast 8 Jun 1929 and arriving Quebec  16 June 1929 are:

There were 2 William Workmans travelling on the same ship.

William Richard Workman, 47, farmer, b. Aghadowey Northern Ireland, was married and travelling with wife Elizabeth, 39, b. Coleraine N.I. and daughter Lily Louisa 3, b. Coleraine.  He was going to his sister, Mrs. C. Johnston, 29 Linden St. Toronto.  Contact in Ireland was his mother, Mrs. R. Workman Aghadowey Co. Londonderry.

The other William R. Workman, was 49, single, B. Culdrum, traveller.  His Irish contact was mother, Mrs. Bessie Workman of ? Place, Coleraine(?) - typing in the entry overlaps each other so difficult to make out.  His Canadian contact was typed as Canadian Gov't Authorities Toronto and then written above - Mrs. C. Johnston, cousin  29 Linden St. Toronto.

There is a family relationship between these two men.  William Richard the son of Rachel Cunningham and William R the son of Bessie Arthur.? 

Debbie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 June 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much the two entries explain a lot!

William Richard didn't have a sister married to a Johnston/outside Ireland so perhaps Mrs. Johnston was the wife's sister. His father had died in 1919 but mother lived until 1938 so those contact details make sense. This Workman family lived at Ballynacally (Blackhill) in Aghadowey Parish but originally from Mullan townland. W.Richard's father was Andrew (c1845-1919), grandfather was Andrew Workman (c1796-1877) and his father was a James Workman (b.c1760).

William Ross Workman was the son of Bessie Workman living at Meetinghouse Place in Coleraine but earlier the family lived in the townland of Culdrum in Macosquin Parish. His father was Matthew Workman (c1845-1924), grandfather James Workman (c1799-1871) and great-grandfather William.

I have family trees for both Workman families, Cunninghams (Wm.Richard's mother's family) and Arthurs (Wm.Ross's mother's family) but don't know where Mrs. Johnston would fit into any of these families. Neither Workman family know of any relationship to the other and older generations said they weren't connected.