Author Topic: William Workman after 1929  (Read 13745 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Workman after 1929
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 June 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
I just went back and checked - Mrs. Johnston is listed as his sister and the wife Elizabeth's sister-in-law.  Of course it doesn't mean that the clerk who typed the entry might have reversed the information.

I always need a good map and a lot of time to figure out locations in Ireland!

Debbie

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 June 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
If the passenger list isn't too long, would it be possible to see if any other passengers give Mrs. Johnson as the contact person?

Regarding the claim of both Workman families not knowing of a connection to the other family...could there have been a "misunderstanding" in the family at one time, causing a separation and the denial of knowing each other (hope that makes sense)?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 June 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
You could try contacting the Toronto Public Library, Ask A Librarian service:
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/ask_index.jsp
At one time they offered lookups (three lookups per request).  They very kindly checked the Toronto Directories when I was trying to pinpoint the death of an ancestor.  You could try asking if they would check the 1930, 1933 and 1935 directories for William Workman.  (Hoping that he might be found in all three directories.)  Or, ask for Workman in 1930 and C. Johnson (29 Linden Street) in 1929 and 1930.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 June 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
There's no ill-feeling between the two families certainly in my father-in-law's memory (and he was very good at saying if other families were connected even if he didn't know the relationship). This 'cousin' Mrs. Johnston is very puzzling but perhaps the problem is that I don't know her Christian or maiden name.

Thanks for the suggestion, Lisa. I have a feeling from his previous conduct that Wm. Ross will not be settled enough to be listed in a directory but the Linden St. address might be worth tracing.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 June 10 17:35 BST (UK) »
There are about a dozen WORKMAN surname
a William and an Eizabeth nee Wasnidge   cemetery:Toronto Necropolis   York  / Toronto   TO-TRN-014

There are several Johnston in there as well... the dilemma being were they using the mrs. with his first name initial or hers...

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php ... there are more listed in other cemeteries under Toronto Township 
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 June 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link, J.J.- lots of William Workmans there!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!