Author Topic: Thomas Hall 1861-1936  (Read 5373 times)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Hall 1861-1936
« on: Wednesday 30 June 10 03:01 BST (UK) »
Have recently, after a long search, obtained my g/grandfathers death cert.
He died in Galashiels (Cottage Hospital) on 10th Sep 1936.  He had re-married a Janet Flynn (widow) daughter of David Scott and Margaret Maxwell the informant on the death cert was John Murray (intimate friend) ??

I would like info re his burial place (if possible) and any other information re the family...I had been looking for info in the Clackmannanshire area as he lived in Alva in 1901.  It would explain quite a few photographs I inherited taken in Galashiels (no idea who they may be).

Any information at all would be appreciated  ;D am just so glad I have finally found out where he died  :'(

Regards patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hall 1861-1936
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 03:04 BST (UK) »
Should have added his adds ar death is not very clear. looks like Lecteka St Galashiels..if this means anything to anyone LOL.

Much appreciated.  Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hellooo!!  Long time no speak.
Just happened to look at this post because of the name Hall which occurs in my family too - West Coast though.

Anyway, I might be stating the obvious but have you contacted the local Cemeteries and Bereavement Dept in the council or the Gala library?

I had an excellent result within the last couple of weeks, albeit in Fife.  I contacted both the C & B Dept. and Cupar library re two of my rellies.  It took a week but both got back to me.  The librarian went through the local papers following the dates of death I was interested in and sent me copies of the relevant obits.  The council contacted me the same day with details of the cemetery and plot number of where they were buried - right down to the depth of the graves!!!

Even better result was that I posted a request on the Fife board for someone to locate the grave and two of our fellow RCers visited yesterday, located the stone and one of them posted photos of it on the board last night.  I am so chuffed!!

So, point of my message, apart from saying Hi - give the local library and council a shot.

Dave

Keep well and Happy hunting.

*speelin edditted! :D
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 04:19 BST (UK) »
Quick Google search ....

http://www.scotborders.gov.uk/life/livingandsocialcare/death/graveyardsandburials/index.html

http://www.scotborders.gov.uk/life/educationandlearning/libraries/libraryservices/librarydetails/18541.html

Good luck.

Dave

Added.... Of course, I'm assuming he lived and was buried locally to where he died but obviously he may have been taken 'home' for burial - so perhaps the local Clacks council or library would be a possible contact.  I'll let you Google that one.   ;)

-------------------

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have phoned the council in the Borders before and they are very helpful. I will send you a PM with the contact detail I have.

Emma

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you both Dave and Emma - Emma did receive your PM (I was just going to bed and you were going to work  ;D ) so wil wait to hear from you.

Now have another problem...bonus for me.. on Thomas Hall's marriage (2nd) he has listed
Private 3919 2nd Supplementery Coy A & S Highlanders.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain his service record, did "google" but ended up totally confused.

Any help appreciated.

As always ..patvp

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 July 10 00:13 BST (UK) »
Record should be on Ancestry but I don't see anything obvious at the moment.
Still checking but might come back to it tomorrow.
Where was he born?

Did you find this when you were searching Google?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/britisharmysoldierafter1913.htm?WT.lp=rg-3114
-------------------

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 July 10 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave - Like you am trawling through Ancestry..but they make it hard work  ???.
He was born in Sauchie, Clackmannanshire, have him in Alva in 1901 then he remarried in 1916 at Galashiels...oh for the 1911 census  ::) can't come soon enough.  also am not sure about this Supplementery Company, as I said have googled the Argyll and Sutherlands but remain as confused as ever. You would think it should be easy with his svc number but it ain't proving so  :'(
As always...patvp

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 July 10 08:57 BST (UK) »
Morning.
Earlier last year, I applied for my Dad's service records on behalf of my Mum but I'm damned if I can remember how I did it.
I know it was a fairly easy process (a little form filling but I got them after about 4 weeks (was told it could take up to 6 months).
Trying Google again this morning.  Also need to look through some paperwork to find the docs - that should have the contact details.
Getting a coffee, then I'll check. 

Dave
-------------------