Author Topic: ROSS Norman  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Ruth56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROSS Norman
« on: Wednesday 30 June 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Norman Ross, Plantation Inspector for Burns Philp
believed to have died of malaria on the copra islands run by Burns Philp. Died
sometime after 1916. Father to Reginald Russell Ross b. 1915 and
William Alexander Ross b. 1916 to Olivet Chaperlin( Mooring)

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ROSS Norman
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 July 10 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

Do you have a bit more information eg middle name.  The following are deaths in Qld from 1912 to 1964.

1938/B41068 Norman Ross John Clare Hagen
1914/C1858 Norman Charles Ross - - aged about 43 years
1935/C1096 Norman Ross Fletcher Jane -
1961/C1089 Norman Clinton Ross John Mary Ford
1955/B10026 Norman Gordon Ross George Mary Jane Hackett

Andcarred
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline OldSalt_2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 September 10 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth - I'm from the Solomon Islands and am also looking for information on a Norman Ross who came to the Solomon Islands back in the 1900s.  The little information that i have was passed on to me by my late father.  Norman Ross came to the Solomon Islands as a divisional manager on one of the coconut plantations operated by Lever brothers - I'm not too sure whether Lever Brothers and Burns Philip are the same company(s).  Whilst here, he had a child (girl) with a local beauty whom he named Lily.  Lily took on the name Lily Ross.  Norman went back to Australia and I'm told that he had two children and one of them had the name Billy.  I'm also told that Norman died in Papua New Guinea on his way back to the Solomon Islands.
Lily Ross married a local and had eight children.  She died in 1975 aged sixty-one.  The name Ross is still being used as a middle name by all her descendants.
Norman Ross - Solomon Islands Connection

Offline Ruth56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 September 10 12:40 BST (UK) »
This is fabulous,  this is the first itme we have had anyone return any information on
Norman Ross, we know that he died on an island from Malaria. We have been looking
for any information that we can find. My husbands father's birth and his brother Bill Ross
was registered in Sydney by Norman Ross as their foster father. But we also know that
these boys were born to Olivet Chaperlin. Olivet was later to have three more children
Eric, George, Henry (Tosca)  To her resistered husband
George Chaperlin, who worked for Burns Philip. Burns Philip has a ship called Tosca. We
have photos of Gaduala Canal and the boys with their boy Johhnie Arfu, who went to
Scotts College in Sydney.  There is problaby much more I can relay, but lets make sure we
have the right Bill Ross. Reg was born 1915 and Bill 1916. Births both registered on the same day
in Sydney by Norman Ross.  PS Lever and Burns Phillip are not the same company but where operation in the Soloamons at the sam time. Please gt back asap. Have photos's

Ruth Ross

Offline OldSalt_2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 September 10 13:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruth for the info provided.  I do hope we are both talking about the same person (Norman Ross). Back in the Solomon Islands, nothing is recorded on pen and paper.  It is usually done by word of mouth so be expecting some info that may not tally especially with the timing of events.  Back in the 1900s, many expatriates came to the Solomon Islands as traders, plantation managers etc - to name a few, Bennetts, Pratts, Wheatleys, Wickhams and amongst these names was the name Norman Ross.  Although most of them were based in the western province of the Solomon Islands, they may have traded between other islands of Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea as well.  I will be contacting the descendants of Lily Ross for more info and update you within the next couple of days mainly b'çoz I'm based in Honiara (capital) on the island of Guadalcanal whereas most of Lily Ross's descendants are based on New Georgia Island in the western province.  By the way, I'm told that Norman Ross is a Scotsman.

Cheers.

Norman Ross - Solomon Islands Connection

Offline Marmyall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 September 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

I am also researching the Ross family, here in Scotland, do you know if any of your descendants came from here? Ross is also used here as a middle name through the generations
Myall/Goldrick in England & Ireland
Whyte/Jordan, Corns/Ross, Lindsay/Izatt, in Scotland,

Offline Ruth56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 September 10 23:42 BST (UK) »
It certainly sound like the right Norman Ross, he certainly sound like he was a busy boy, if Lily Ross
was born in 1914 and Reg 1915 and Bill 1916. We always thought he worked for Burns Phips, but we have discovered that it was Levers. My husbands grandmother Olivet was married to a George Chaperlin who worked for Burns Philp on Guadacanal. From what we know George Chaperlin went of to the First World War in 1914 and when he returned he found that Olivet had two children,
Reg and Bill, when they where reunited Olivet then had another 3 children to George all born on
Guadacanal, so they are Chaperlins, they are all still living but Reg and Bill have passed. We weren't sure where Norman was from but assumed it was the British Isles. Because he died young, there is no more information on him. Looking forward to some more info.

Offline aussie53au

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 June 11 02:33 BST (UK) »
HI
My fathers name was William Alexander Ross....The son of Norman Alexander Ross.
I have the original of his mothers passport. They lived in Tulagi in the Solomons. I remember my father talking about his father and going for trips on his ship. I was told that Norman died of blackwater fever in Singapore. Harry Chaperlin lived with us for some time back in the 50's when he retired to Australia.I remember my fathe talking about Tosca who he described as a half brother. There is much more but that will do for now....hope you are still monitoring this as i am interested to get as much info as possible myself.

Offline Ruth56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 June 11 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Aussie 53, (*)

Ruth & Sterritt Ross

Moderator Comment: Details of Living Persons (or any person who may be living) have been removed as per RootsChat Policy of not publishing details of living persons. Please See

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,368728.msg2632620.html#msg2632620

To share details of living persons please use our secure PM system. Thank You.