Author Topic: Shortall - Sir Patrick  (Read 29511 times)

Offline zag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shortall - Sir Patrick
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 July 10 23:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry, just noticed the bit about the address - my records show that they lived in 47 Hardwicke Street from 1904 to 1914 - presumably he moved in or around the time of her death.

Offline ambyrne1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 July 10 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a James Patrick Shortall born Dublin 1901 immigrated to New York ont he 6th July 1931 on the boat Adriatic. He states he is a Salesman and last lived in New York but immigration document happened in Washington.

I have a Patrick J Shortall born Dublin 1902 Arriving on the Majestic to Washington. He is listed as a Electrical Engineer. Arrived 1930 24th June.

I have him again Patrick Shortall born Dublin 1902 Living in 15702 Fergusion Ave, Detroit and Electrical Engineer... Same Patrick as above.. arrived again in 1947.

I have a Dermot L Shorthall going to the states arriving 3rd May 1955 and he is going to 15702 Fergusion Ave, Detroit.

Nothing for a Frank.

Ann Marie

Wilson: Kirkoswald, Scotland and Dublin
Breen: Hendrick Street, Brunswick Street,Dublin
Moore: Kildare and Dublin
lyons: Hendrick Street and Brunswick Street,Dublin
Donnelly: Marrowbone lane, Braithwaite street, Dublin
Byrne: Mercer Street, Dublin
Mills: Dublin, Wicklow
Higgins: Dublin
Gray: Aryshire, Scotland
Mills King, Wicklow and Dublin
Donegan, St Catherines Parish, Dublin
Murphy: Enniscorthy and Ballybanoge, Wexford
Browne, Crean, Kelly, Keavney: Sligo.

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 July 10 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann Marie,

Thanks for that information.  There was a John and a Dermot born to Sir Patrick and Lady Mary Shortall.  I note that Patrick and Dermot go to the same address, so that ties Patrick in as well. 

At this stage I have lots of pieces of information so I need to start setting it all down in a coherent format, but the heat here, a sniffling cold, and the imminent arrival of visitors will probably mean I don't get started on this for a few days.  Wednesday is Bastille Day, so I'll also have to get the guillotine and tumbrel out and give them a polish!   ;)

Once again, my thanks for this valuable info.

David

Offline Bernied

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 August 10 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi. My partner (in Ireland) is the grandson of Matthew Shortall brother of Sir Patrick Shortall.  Their parents were James Shortall and Marcella Dunne.  I am trying to trace either their father's or their mothers birthplace.  I think their father was from Kilkenny.  Anyone any information.  To get birth certs of parents we need parish in Ireland where born. 

I have details of James and Marcell's marraige if interested.

Thanks

Bernie

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 August 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Bernied,

Sorry I don't have any information, however, I know that Sir Patrick Shortall had a brother, John Francis, and architect and member of the RIAI.  He was born 1889 and died 1946.  I was not aware of any other sibling, but that certainly does not exclude one.  In fact it opens up another avenue to be explored.

There is mention of Sir Patrick's firm in connection with the raid on the Magazine Fort at this link

http://bluwiki.com/go/Magazine_Fort_Attack

I know it's not much, and not directly connected with your question, but sometimes pursuing a branch can point the way more pertinent  information . 

Certainly I would be interested in John and Marcella as they are also the parent of Sir Patrick and therefore link indirectly to my family.

Good luck with your search

David.

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 August 10 21:28 BST (UK) »
Bernied,

I've managed to a date for Lady Mary (Polly) Shortall's death - 20th May, 1914, and the burial is in Glasnevin.  the odd thing is that hers is the only interment in that grave.  It seems odd that Sir Patrick would not have been buried there in due course.  Obviously there are reasons why this should be so, and these could prove interesting.

David

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 August 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
Xotan

I see from Thoms 1928 that a Lady Shortall was resident at No.66 St.Lawrence Road , Clontarf. Any use?

Regards    Quaxer

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Quaxer,

Thanks for you posting.

This is very interesting.  Since Polly Shortall died in 1914 in circumstances yet to ascertained, and her husband is not in the same grave, it seems to point to his re-marrying.  His new wife would automatically become Lady Shortall. 

Of course there are too many pieces of the puzzle still missing to be able to get a proper idea of what happened, but it is another step towards filling in the gaps.

I will be in Ireland shortly and will be making a point of visiting Glasnevin to visit and photograph the graves.  Can anyone tell me if the Cemetery Authorities sell a decent sized map showing where graves are located?  Their computerised printdown provides references, but one needs a proper plan to lead one to these references.  The map that is provided on the website is not very helpful except for the casual visitor who wants to visit the graves of the great and good.  None of my family were particularly great, and probably not so good either!   ;).   [I jest.]  Even so, an inadequate plan could lead to a lot of lost time, which is something that I don't really have.  I can probably give no more than half a day to my visit.

Once again, many thanks!

David.

Offline DubbLinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I found this thread while researching my ancestors. I am a grandson of Matthew Shortall, as mentioned above, Matthew was a brother of Sir Patrick Shortall.
I remember being told by my Aunty Cella (Marcella Shortall) that he was a "Grand Uncle" but that is as much information that was forthcoming.
I am also interested in tracing the birthplace of my great grandad "James Shortall" I believe this to be in Kilkenny but am not sure about that.
Any information or update would be very helpfull,
Thanks in advance.